NY Times Dialect Quiz

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:43 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

It is crazy how accurate this pegged me:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013 ... z-map.html

Just answer 25 questions about how you pronounce certain words, and it'll show you which region of the US is most similar to your accent. It pegged me as having an accent most similar to those from Arlington, VA (very close to where I currently live) and from Virginia Beach, VA (where I lived as a tot, and subsequently where I learned how to talk!).

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:57 am
Rook says...

Yeah, that's not accurate at all for me. It said I live somewhere in California... uh... no. But there is a darker red color by where I do live, so maybe it's just because I don't know the term for whatever the strip of land is between the sidewalk and the street. We don't even have sidewalks in my neighborhood; that might be why. I did like the little map after each question though. ^^
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:53 am
Lava says...

It's interesting, considering how it's just based on the US states. I got Boston(MA), Miami(FL) and Honolulu!
Interesting, right? I wonder if there's a version for the English, it might be interesting to compare mine to that as well.
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:44 am
Demeter says...

I got Honolulu, Louisville, and Richmond!
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:40 pm
StellaThomas says...

New York, Yonkers and Providence

But I feel like it doesn't really work because our dialect is so different. For instance, Irish people don't say "y'all" or anything - people from Dublin and the north say "youse" but genuinely, people from the rest of the country are still using "ye."

Also, drive-through liquor stores? Those are a thing?
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

268 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 268
Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:11 pm
Adnamarine says...

Scary accurate...
Also, I've never heard of drive-through liquor stores either Stella.
"Half the time the poem writes me." ~Meshugenah

166 Reviews

Reviews: 166
Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:20 am
Cheetah says...

Me neither

I got all three in southern CA, about 500 miles from where I live, so pretty close.
And passersby who heard his echoing laughter wondered what kind of grief man had to go through before he could laugh so free.

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:56 am
View Likes
Gardevite says...

I got Miami and Honolulu. In Tipperary, we do a strange thing with our words. We add random consonants to words. For example 'Stick' becomes 'shtick'. And in moments of surprise, Jesus becomes bajaysus. Things are different in the backways boglands, where we're devoid of cinemas. (@StellaThomas)
Formerly Hightop

Garde's Reviews

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:06 am
View Likes
Meshugenah says...

I did this a few days ago when it popped up on facebook - got Sacramento, where I went to uni, and Reno. Relatively close, but uh, not as close as I would have expected. Then again, dad grew up in the midwest/east coast, and I've picked up some odd tendencies from him, and also from hanging around here/the internet in general.

So, I did it again, just to see (and I take issue with the water fountain/drinking fountain question. Srsly). Dang, so second round, got Sac, uni town, and Fremont. Much closer overall. It was funny to see where I have some really bizarre midwest influences with a couple words.
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

147 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 147
Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:04 pm
Carina says...

Boise, Reno, and Santa Rõsa -- all in one big cluster. Apparently I talk like a westerner even though I live in the Midwest. xD

One of my least similar cities is New York. Weird!
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—InuYosha

secret supreme overlord of yws
—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:36 pm
Elinor says...

Interesting. I got Madison and Milwaukee, Wisconsin - both very close to where I live - and then Reno, Nevada.

My least similar cities were New Orleans, Baton Rouge, and Jackson, Mississipi. I guess I've strayed somewhat from southern roots. :P (My grandparents on both sides both moved to the Midwest from the Deep South)

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

896 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 896
Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:11 am
PenguinAttack says...

I got Yonkers, Pembroke Pines and Fort Lauderdale.

There was a lot of dicussion about some of the questions between my siblings and I because we don't use words like "Freeway" very much. xD
I like you as an enemy, but I love you as a friend.

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:11 am
niteowl says...

Detroit and Grand Rapids, MI, and Aurora, Illinois.

Not sure how Illinois got there, but I grew up near Detroit.

So, I did it again, just to see (and I take issue with the water fountain/drinking fountain question. Srsly).

Fun fact: In the study this quiz came from, both Wisconsin and Rhode Island said they were called "bubblers". Strange. Personally I mostly say "drinking fountain".

I echo the confusion about drive-through liquor stores being a thing.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

260 Reviews

Reviews: 260
Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:10 am
TriSARAHtops says...

I think I managed to confuse it, because I got Los Angeles, New York and Honolulu. I guess being Australian, that it wouldn't be accurate, but it's kind of weird that I managed to get so geographically distant places. I got dark blue for A LOT of the questions, too.
if we wait until we're ready
we'll be waiting
for the rest of our lives

89 Reviews

Reviews: 89
Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:27 pm
Karzkin says...

^ Mmm so did I. I would be interested in an Australian one.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

K's Killa Kritiques

#TNT

All Hail the undisputed king of the YWS helicopter game.

If you know what the tip of a shoelace is called, Congratulations, you watched Phineas and Ferb!
— FireEyes