z

Young Writers Society

Why do you go to school?

72 Reviews

Reviews: 72
Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:55 am
ShadowKnight155 says...

Simple question... why do you go to school?

This is for schoolers of any age, in any institution. College, secondary, primary, whatever; American, European, African, Asian, and Australian. Why are you in school, taking classes, learning things? What's the point of it all?
By nature, all language is flawed.

"Peace cannot be kept by force, it can only be achieved by understanding," - Albert Einstein

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:59 am
Elinor says...

First of all, it's required by law in most places.

Secondly, to learn. To be aware of the world. To learn how to socialize, have a life separate from parents, and eventually get a good job and have a fulfilling career.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

382 Reviews

Reviews: 382
Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:57 am
Dreamy says...

Aww, I miss school. :(
If any person raises his hand to strike down another on the ground of religion, I shall fight him till the last breath of my life, both as the head of the Government and from outside- Jawaharlal Nehru.

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:41 am
Zolen says...

Learning this is fun, knowledge is a quest all should go on for all of their life.
Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

22 Reviews

Reviews: 22
Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:39 pm
View Likes
LaughingHyena says...

Actually, I don't go to school, I'm home-educated. When I was younger my mum used to teach me stuff in schoolbooks, but now I'm doing my GCSE's I work through the coursework on my own, and passed my first exam this year. I've been home-educated all my life, for a mixture of reasons; my mum didn't have a very good time at school when she was young, and as a young child I was kind of more advanced or backward in some things than in others, which would have made learning in the school curriculum difficult, so we gave home-education a go. I don't personally think there's anything wrong with school; many of my friends complain about it, and I personally feel the peer-pressure and 'culture' in many schools would not suit me at all, but the educational side of it is fine-however, contrary to popular belief, it isn't the only option. That said, I've met some other home-ed children who have been home-educated for the wrong reasons...and I can't help but wonder if they wouldn't actually be better off at school, or at least somewhere away from their crazy parents. :?
I'd like to make myself believe
that planet Earth spins slowly

191 Reviews

Reviews: 191
Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:43 pm
View Likes
carbonCore says...

To meet people, and to get a piece of paper that says I'm not a waste of air.

I don't believe schools teach you anything Wikipedia and the rest of the Internet won't. Nothing I am doing either to enjoy myself or to make money has been learned in school.

However, I also realize we are not all made the same. To some perhaps school is a good environment. I don't know if it was good for me. When I have children, I want them to have a natural thirst for knowledge, rather than me making them learn just because they HAVE to know; hopefully this will mean they can stay home. There are other venues to meet people, too, as I discovered... some even much better than the random shotgun spray of personalities one encounters in school.
_

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:08 pm
StellaThomas says...

So that I can complete my 5500 hours of training recommended by the EU for my profession of choice :)

Also, because I get lonely if I stay home.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

"I wish we could all get along like we used to in middle school... I wish I could bake a cake filled with rainbows and smiles and everyone would eat and be happy..."
— Unnamed Girl from "Mean Girls"