z

Young Writers Society

Red page edges of Foundation Trilogy (Asimov)

72 Reviews

Reviews: 72
Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:31 pm
ShadowKnight155 says...

I recently came across some Isaac Asimov books. I have no idea when they were printed, the most recent date I could find was a 1969 copyright. The books I have are Nine Tomorrows, Foundation, Foundation and Empire, and Second Foundation (all contained in a cardboard "The Foundation Trilogy" box, minus Ni.To.).

The books were all stored in similar conditions (a dark drawer in a dark, locked closet undisturbed for probably 5-15 years, maybe), although the 3 Foundation books were together in the box. The outer page edges are all red, every page. The actual surface of the page is an old yellow. The red is only on the edges. Nine Tomorrows has some kind of dust in the pages (black beads the size of crumbs, where the heck have these books been?), and the page edges are more pink, returning to a yellow at the corners.

So, is this intentional? Were the books printed like this? Any idea when the books were printed? What might cause book pages to turn red on the outside only?
By nature, all language is flawed.

"Peace cannot be kept by force, it can only be achieved by understanding," - Albert Einstein

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:32 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

If you haven't read it yet, the Foundation Trilogy is a great read -- a must read if you're a sci-fi fan because it's influenced a lot of modern sci-fi.

Anyhow, the red edges are probably intentional and are what is called a publisher's stain. Stains can be just purely decorative, but they usually serve a double function in that they can also protect the page edges. I found this page that has more info:
http://www.mywingsbooks.com/coll-terms/edg01_.shtml

72 Reviews

Reviews: 72
Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:53 pm
ShadowKnight155 says...

That stain picture looks exactly like it! And, I found out the printing date by looking up the ISBN, it's 1975.

Good to know that I'm neither crazy nor experiencing some strange chemical reaction...

Thanks, Nate!
By nature, all language is flawed.

"Peace cannot be kept by force, it can only be achieved by understanding," - Albert Einstein

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:38 pm
Snoink says...

In other news, if you want @Nate to respond promptly to anything, just bring up Asimov's name. XD
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

“Writing fiction is the act of weaving a series of lies to arrive at a greater truth.”
— Khalid Hosseini, Author