z

Young Writers Society

What's your favorite moment in YWS' history?

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:07 pm
View Likes
Meshugenah says...

I'm *still* jealous about the HQ bit.

ETA: and don't forget the time Nate was at camp and left us in charge, and the site blew up. Or went through Nate withdrawals. Or something. It Was Not Happy.
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:48 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

Hahah! I remember when you went to NYC, and Nate gave me temporary admin status for a day, and I was absolutely TERRIFIED. I basically spent my whole day refreshing YWS to make sure it hadn't broken down. XD I was like, "Thank goodness I'm not an admin!"

This blog entry probably wins YWS for me... blog.php?u=373&b=36448
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:11 am
View Likes
Nate says...

My favorite moment was when -KayJuran- joined the site! I was worried no one would ever register, and when KJ did within about 12 hours of the site being created, I was quite excited.

But, I have a lot of favorite moments. I'm greatly touched and humbled by the greatest birthday present I could have ever asked for in 2010 (organized by @Mira, @Snoink, @Meshugenah, and others), this incredible video by @Carina et al, @SparkToFlame's poem in 2011, @PenguinAttack's masterpiece, and so much else over the years. I never know just quite how to respond to such graciousness, and to merely say "I'm touched and humbled" seems vastly insufficient. I don't know if I'll ever be able to repay the kindness that so many here have shown me even when I fail.

Other favorite moments include when we raised $295 to honor the memory of Conrad Rice, and particularly when people sent messages to his mother earlier this year when she was grieving. When one YWSer probably saved another member's life by just being a friend. And when another person was rescued from a bad situation.

And there are moments like when I forced Bek and Jack to host the radio show while I went and made a sandwich. When I logged in one day to see Snoink changing the names/descriptions of some forums to include the word bacon somewhere in them. When a group of us definitely couldn't keep from embarrassing ourselves when we passed some exhibit about monkeys at the Natural History Museum in NYC, and also our mini-adventure to go to a mall in New Jersey during that same trip (thinking back... we really should have just rented a mini-van). Watching so, so many members grow as a writer and as a person. The attack on Drytear. Censoring "hello!" in chat to read "North America!" The sublime joy of seeing something you created used in ways that you could have never imagined with strangers enriching the lives of one another.

So, thank you KayJuran for joining!

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:30 pm
LadySpark says...

Whoa, @Nate, I forgot that poem even existed.
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:19 am
View Likes
Meshugenah says...

I would like to point out that I had nothing to do with that incident at the museum. Shenanigans at the dinosaur exhibit, however, I blame entirely on a certain Very Tall Person.

Where would we have *parked* a mini-van?
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:36 am
EloquentDragon says...

Why do I feel so meloncholic at this? I wasn't even involved with all of this...

Although I do remember the site re-boot or whatever and HighTops... highness. That was interesting.
No more countin' dollars... we'll be countin' stars.

Enter, if you dare.

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:51 am
Auxiira says...

My favourite moment... I'd say every moment I spend here, talking to you guys when I probably should be doing other things... (like right now I should be doing an essay >.>)
You read faster than Usaine Bolt sprints xD - Deanie 2014

I wanted all to sparkle and dance in a glorious jubilee. - Cathy, Wuthering Heights

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:59 pm
Skorpionne says...

Two words.

Spaghetti Incident.
I've learned so much from people who never existed - Unknown

The continuation of our world depends more on the survival of the kindest than it does on the survival of the fittest.
— Arcticus