z

Young Writers Society

1st Person, or 3dr Person and why?

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:36 am
rainbowcabbit says...

Tehe that was me (or so I think). Second person has the potential to be quite a blast, so I really am gonna give second person another try in another story. Other than that, I prefer first person mainly because third person is so bland. Its not as personal as first. I love how in first person you only know one character because everybody else seems so spontaneous and random, while you really get to feel everything from one person's view. I especially love switching between characters in first person. This gives the reader the opportunity to see everyone and everything in a new light. Third person you really don't see anything, you are being shown a story from a very one sided view, no matter what character is being focused on. This is not to say that third person sucks, as third person really can be used greatly but I like first person better. Now, back to second person, I did try to use it but I did it all wrong and failed miserably, but I've seen it used perfectly and it could be really worthwhile. For example, Homestuck is second person most of the time and is hilarious. I love how second person forces you into the story and you really are the character, which is an entirely different approach than both first and third. Second person offers some really good connection to the story when done right, but can be oh so awful if done wrong. Hopefully I can find the perfect plot to use second in...

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:21 pm
Deifyance says...

Well written reply, @dragonfphoenix !

I have to agree with you on all points! This post was simply over preferences, yet it seemed to bounce a different way. I also prefer third (obviously), yet I am currently enjoying a well written series written in 1st.

As for the 2nd person question: I actually have read some incredible 2nd person stories. Most of these were about historical events such as school shootings or assassinations. They have their own flavor and they are mightily complicated and enjoyable to read. They require much thought, and because of that, most people will regress to a 3rd person or and even easier 1st person story because they don't ever require much intrigue, since everything is being told to you.
Check out my current Series: Changing Legacy

Chapter 1
Changing Legacy: Chapter 1 - Disheartening

Chapter 2
Changing Legacy: Chapter 2 - Ambushed

Almost all absurdity of conduct rises from the imitation of those whom we cannot resemble.
— Samuel Johnson