z

Young Writers Society

Shino's Serial Challenge (Revamped!)

178 Reviews

Reviews: 178
Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:24 am
Paracosm says...

Sequels aren't always better, but this one will be.

I am a huge fan of the serial format. That is how I ehem.. try... to sell stories. The serial is the medium I most enjoy because it fits my lack of commitment. If the story doesn't sell, I stop writing it. If it does sell, I keep on going. Now, you may be wondering what a serial is.

A serial is a basically a novel written over a period of time, published chapter by chapter. Chapters are called episodes, the stories are generally dramatic, and sometimes they never ever end. The serials never end are sort of like soap operas. There is no resolution to the whole story, just resolution to story lines. Serials like I write weave multiple story lines together, they are generally 500-1000 words, and as soon as I get back to writing again, they will be published in 10-12 episode 'seasons'. Each season is basically a novella.

Interested? I hope so.

This is the serial challenge, put simply. Write a serial spanning the course of three months, with one episode a week. Each entry should be at least 250 words, but it can be as long as you want. As a rule of thumb serial entries usually aren't longer than 2500 words.

The Rules to the Serial Challenge

1. Like any good Serial Novelist, you must write at least one entry a week. If you don't, you make up for it by writing a killer entry for the next week, or two entries next week. By the end of this twelve week competition, you should have twelve entries that are published on a fairly regular basis.

2. Please leave a link to each entry of your serial by editing your original post on this thread.

3. Have fun! That's what serial writing is all about.

Now, you are probably wondering what the prize is for completing the Serial Challenge.

Well, there are several! You just have to complete these tasks and message me to collect your bounty!

Bounties
Spoiler! :
1/4 of the Way There! -Stick with your serial for four weeks. 500 points
Half Way! -Write six entries, you're halfway there! 1000 points
Ambitious -Complete your eighth entry! 2500 points
Serial Killer -Finish twelve entries to your serial! 5000 points!
Best Serial As chosen by me. 3000 points!

That's the challenge. Twelve entries over twelve weeks, plenty of points in it for ya! I will be partaking as well, so you are not alone.

Tips for Serial Writing

1. Beginning are everything! When you write your serial, most of your effort should be placed in writing a killer beginning. This hooks the reader in and gets him to say, "Ya know what, I'll pay .99 cents for the next entry." (I know, that's chump change. I charge $2.99 for 'premiers', and I make them 5000 words though, so that helps.)

2. Don't quit. Not for a second. There is no quitting on a serial, it could always get better. Serials are great practice, so you cannot let yourself quit. Let yourself write crap. Let yourself be in a slump. Be hard on yourself. Know your writing is TERRIBLE. But no matter what, do not stop. Write the next entry. It's okay to write garbage sometimes, otherwise, if you're like me you won't ever write anything.

3. If in doubt, kill someone. Someone the readers like, or who they think is important to your 'story'. That'll keep them reading if you do it write. Great tool if you are in desperation.

4. Enjoy your story. If it's not something you enjoy writing, there's no way you'll stay with it for twelve weeks. Thems the facts. Make sure it's something you'll have fun writing for a good little while.

Good luck guys, have fun!

When does this begin? Now.
When does this end? Never, hopefully. The Best Serial award will be granted once every twelve weeks, starting today. Any serial can win, finished or unfinished.
Review unto others as you would have others review unto you.

Don't panic!

Also, Shino!

332 Reviews

Reviews: 332
Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:34 am
View Likes
Blackwood says...

Alright. I'm still in. I'll link up when I finish my first few.

My serial:
Days of Gold Gone By: Episode One.
Days of Gold Gone By: Ep.Two
" 3
"4
"5
"6
"7
"8
"9
"10
"bonus
"11
Last edited by Blackwood on Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
Hahah....haha.....ahahaha.

663 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 663
Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:40 am
Messenger says...

Wait, sorry a little braindead after Review Day. How much does it cost per post?

178 Reviews

Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:46 am
Paracosm says...

Um, however much it is to post in the literary area right now. There isn't any costs to be in the competition, but it does cost to post literary works.

Don't panic!

Also, Shino!

463 Reviews

Reviews: 463

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:41 pm
View Likes
crossroads says...

Alrighty, let's give this a go.
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:01 pm
View Likes
Alvarin says...

I guess I'm in as well..

The Nix:
Chapter 1 - The man in the brook
Chapter 2 - A friendly soul
Chapter 3 - Dancing with a Huldra
Last edited by Alvarin on Sat May 03, 2014 1:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.
“Are you looking for sympathy? You'll find it in the dictionary between shit and syphilis”
― Thomas Harris

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:38 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

I'm going to give this a shot!
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:12 am
CowLogic says...

I would do this. But I probably wouldn't stay committed long enough to write one post.
The course skin of a thousand elephants sewn together to make one leather wallet.

178 Reviews

Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:50 am
Paracosm says...

That's alright, Cow! You can give it a shot if you want, won't hurt. But I will be the first to admit that it is really tough to stay committed to a serial.

Don't panic!

Also, Shino!

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:59 am
View Likes
crossroads says...

I suggest making a club - or using this topic - to brag and whine and discuss and plot and rage and cry and laugh and exchange ideas and adopt character traits and whatever. To sort of encourage each other even though we're technically all opponents in some way c:

Also maybe with some more advices from you, being experienced in the matter ^^
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

332 Reviews

Reviews: 332
Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:01 am
Blackwood says...

AriaAdams wrote:some stuff

Yes, I love you Aria.
Hahah....haha.....ahahaha.

178 Reviews

Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:09 am
Paracosm says...

clubs.php?id=1755

Don't panic!

Also, Shino!

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:59 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

Starting here:

Dreaming of You- 1. Aunt Iseult
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

178 Reviews

Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:05 pm
Paracosm says...

The Postman Entries

Episode One

Don't panic!

Also, Shino!

I always prefer to believe the best of everybody; it saves so much trouble.
— Rudyard Kipling