z

Young Writers Society

128 Students Suspended at Indiana School

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:21 pm
Nate says...

HAMMOND, Ind. (AP) - Classrooms were a little less crowded at Morton High School on the first day of classes: 128 students were sent home for wearing the wrong clothes.

Fed up with inappropriate outfits, the principal suspended the students for one day Wednesday, minutes after doors opened at the school. Those suspended represent more than 10 percent of the 1,200 total students.

The offending attire - including baggy pants, low-cut shirts, tank tops and graphic T-shirts - are banned from classrooms. Students were also cited for cell phone use.

"This was the worst year I've seen in a long time," said Principal Theresa Mayerik. "It's gotten out of control, and we needed to send a message that we're not messing around."

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20060827/D8JONG1G0.html

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:22 pm
sabradan says...

Total BS. Period. Plain and simple.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:24 pm
LamaLama says...

I can understand his frustration. Dress codes are rarely enforced properly.
Beware of the scary banana fingers! For they are mushy, and yellow.

I will change my sig whenever another member asks me too. (please request publicly) Last change: Nov. 12 by: Griffinkeeper

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:51 pm
David Guinness says...

I understand the concern, but suspending students on the first day? I dunno... I don't think dress code warnings should "rollover" to the next year.

Though it should be common sense for most students by now, anyway.
David Guinness

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:02 pm
Cassandra says...

Huh. If she were the principal at my school, about half the year would be suspended.

Still, I think it's fairly ridiculous.
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:11 pm
Sureal says...

'Any student not wearing the exact correct school uniform shall be sent home.'

'I'm totally wearing baggy trousers tomorrow.'
I wrote the above just for you.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:23 pm
Snoink says...

Haha... this is actually pretty funny.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:55 pm
LamaLama says...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who chuckled a bit when they read that.
Beware of the scary banana fingers! For they are mushy, and yellow.

I will change my sig whenever another member asks me too. (please request publicly) Last change: Nov. 12 by: Griffinkeeper

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:35 am
Bjorn says...

Hehe, I violate my school's dress code every day-feh, teachers pass me and say nothing! Of course that is in the mornings and day's end-technically you're not to wear anything but the school uniform in school once you step in-hardly anyone follows that rule!

This is ridiculous.
Killing For Peace Is Like F#@%ing For Chastity
Revolucija Je Sada! Revolucija Je Stobom I Svima! Revolucija Je Uvijek-Zivi Uz Revolucije I Budite Slobodni!

266 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 266
Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:57 am
backgroundbob says...

Personally, I feel that individuality in any form is massively dangerous to the school system, and therefore the future of the labour force in the developed world. Anyone stepping out of line should be warned, then shot. Preferably but not necessarily in that order.

Only then will our great and homogenous nation have a truly secure future.
The Oneday Cafe
though we do not speak, we are by no means silent.

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:05 am
Shriek says...

Eh. But there's a difference between dressing individually and dressing distastefully, Bob. I don't quite get the graphic t-shirt or tank tops thing, but I am getting a bit tired of watching some guys' pants fall off their rear or some girls' shirts covering too little. Kudos to the principal for enforcing the rules -- something the administration is a bit lax about these days. (At least the administration I've come to know.)
i thought you were shallow, but then i fell in deep.

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:14 am
Doctor Kitty says...

^^^

Agreed.

Reviews: 0
Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:06 pm
Persephonie84 says...

:roll: That sounds like nothing new to me. In my high they are pretty tight like that. But on the first day in school :?: .

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:12 pm
Sureal says...

I find students can find a way to express themselves, even within the confines of the school uniform (eg. wearing trouser that are baggier than normal, dying their hair etc.)
I wrote the above just for you.

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:38 pm
DancingRain says...

I'm glad I don't go to that school. Personally I don't see what the problem is as long as their parents approve of what their wearing I don't see what's wrong with that. And at my school I never listened. Would you listen if you got an in school suspension for not wearing a bra and underwear color that the principal didn't approve of? It may sound silly but it happened to me. I was wearing a white t-shirt and I couldn't find any of my white bras so I put on a very light blue one. Underneath my skirt I had on red underwear. I got called to the office and the principal gave me an in school suspension because I was dressed inappropriately. My mom approves everything in the morning before I leave so what was the big deal?
"but the fact remains he can move faster than Severus Snape confronted with shampoo" Fred or George Weasley
*Formerly Tanis*

It is better to take what does not belong to you than to let it lie around neglected.
— Mark Twain