z

Young Writers Society

128 Students Suspended at Indiana School

266 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 266
Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:34 am
backgroundbob says...

Eh. But there's a difference between dressing individually and dressing distastefully, Bob. I don't quite get the graphic t-shirt or tank tops thing, but I am getting a bit tired of watching some guys' pants fall off their rear or some girls' shirts covering too little. Kudos to the principal for enforcing the rules -- something the administration is a bit lax about these days. (At least the administration I've come to know.)
Individuality can be distasteful to anyone, dear: plenty of the clothes we take as normal would have been seen as obscene or inappropriate to wear out in public only a few decades ago. Tastes change, and if you want to clamp down on people's expression, go run a police state :) if school is all about conformity, that's the wrong way to run a learning institution.
The Oneday Cafe
though we do not speak, we are by no means silent.

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:52 am
Chandni says...

ahahaha I wear uniforms :P Best sollution now isn't it ? migt be costy...but yeah..
I should not keep on, I'll just creep on creepin'on.

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:54 am
you_really_suck says...

i guess i can see how the principal feels and why they enforced the rules
baggy pants and low cut tops shouldn't be worn to school
but here in Florida you are permitted to wear tank tops at my school because it's so hot
so in that one part i get a bit peeved at
Meat is Murder

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:04 am
Chandni says...

ahahaha I wear uniforms :P Best sollution now isn't it ? migt be costy...but yeah..
I should not keep on, I'll just creep on creepin'on.

266 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:20 am
backgroundbob says...

Uniforms: quick and easy way of drilling uniformity, conformity and obedience into children, preparing them for a life of obeying superiors and government without question.

If you don't fight the Man, you suck :P
The Oneday Cafe

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:50 am
LamaLama says...

if you subscribe to half brained conspiracy theories like forced conformity via something as simple as a uniform, you suck.
:p
Beware of the scary banana fingers! For they are mushy, and yellow.

I will change my sig whenever another member asks me too. (please request publicly) Last change: Nov. 12 by: Griffinkeeper

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:08 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Calm down you two.

Uniforms solve a lot of problems with teaching kids, for one people aren't preoccupied with what clothes people are wearing, it eliminates a lot of gang garb.

If anything, it would show the individual character, since this would be the only difference that would be worth noting.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

266 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:33 am
backgroundbob says...

Calm down you two.
O_o ? We are calm...

if you subscribe to half brained conspiracy theories like forced conformity via something as simple as a uniform, you suck.
Well, it's obviously not the only way that's achieved, but it is one. There are plenty of other methods that also contribute.

Uniforms solve a lot of problems with teaching kids, for one people aren't preoccupied with what clothes people are wearing, it eliminates a lot of gang garb.
On non-uniform days, there's no discernable difference between how pupils and teachers act. The same lessons are taught, the same curriculem and disciplinary proceedures are followed, and everything's pretty normal.

More than that, sixth form colleges, where uniforms are *not* compulsory, are shown to be far and away the most preferred teaching post of secondary school teachers; when kids are treated like friends and adults, they learn a whole lot more easily.
The Oneday Cafe

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:10 pm
LamaLama says...

I beg to differ:
My high school was on of the many to offer ROTC classes as an option out of gym. On wednesdays we were required to wear our uniform. Wednesdays also happened to be the one day of the week with the least disciplinary problems, by a substantial ammount, and uniforms are the only factors.
Beware of the scary banana fingers! For they are mushy, and yellow.

I will change my sig whenever another member asks me too. (please request publicly) Last change: Nov. 12 by: Griffinkeeper

I have to ask. Does every question or statement regarding the quote generator end up in the quote generator?
— WeepingWisteria