z

Young Writers Society

Which is the Greatest Rock Band and Why?

Which is the Greatest Rock Band?

The Rolling Stones
4%
The Beatles
15%
Pink Floyd
4%
The Who
7%
The Doors
No votes
Led Zeppelin
7%
Lynyrd Skynyrd
No votes
The Eagles
4%
Queen
37%
Other (Please Specify) e.g. (Bad Company, Boston, Aerosmith)
22%

Total votes : 27

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:45 pm
Spotswood says...

Allow us to discuss this. Everybody, which of these bands is your favorite, and why? If none of these are your favorite, please specify another. We will be debating many things ranging from the various styles that the bands presented, the talent of the different band members, who's the better singer/guitarist, all the way to which individual song is better. Let the debate begin.

For me, personally, I would have to say Pink Floyd. They aren't just a rock band; they are so much more. It is really it's own thing. With Floyd, it isn't just about the lyrics, it is about the music itself, the long guitar solos and instrumental echoes, and the deeper meaning behind the lyrics themselves. The transitions between the various songs are spectacular, making it almost as if each album is just one long song.

Floyd is a band I never get tired of no matter what. It is something I can listen to in the car, on the bus, while writing, doing homework, or trying to go to sleep. It is so soothing and relaxing. It can help calm you down if you wish to do so, yet it can get you pumped as well. Plus, the Dark Side of the Moon may be the greatest album in the history of the entire music industry.
"Often, the best way to improve is swallowing your ego and realizing you're a terrible writer in all aspects of writing, then working to improve it."
-R.U.

532 Reviews

Reviews: 532
Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:21 pm
ArcticMonkey says...

This was literally one of the hardest things ever, but after much thought I just had to go with Led Zeppelin. I mean their music is absolutely fantastic, and they've inspired so many bands. Jimmy Page's guitar is just something else, the riffs are so original and I adore their music. However, I do appreciate all the other bands on there too.

I agree that Pink Floyd are amazing too, Dark Side of the Moon is actually my favourite album, but I still don't feel they're the greatest. What I really like about the, though it how different they were, and the Money saxophone/guitar solo is so cool.

I do like Queen too, but I do think they are slightly over rated, I know that loads of people think they are the greatest rock band ever but I guess what I don't like about them is all their songs are just anthems and I think I'd like something different.

I think I'll leave it at that xD.
Someone told me there's a girl out there, with love in her eyes and flowers, in her hair.

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:39 pm
Gardevite says...

I agree with ArticMonkey, this was a very hard choice, I was tempted to pick Pink Floyd to, but I just love The Beatles too much!
Formerly Hightop

Garde's Reviews

29 Reviews

Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:29 pm
View Likes
Spotswood says...

The Beatles, while a good band, I've always found extremely overrated. Although I like them and appreciate them for pioneering rock music, the Beatles never really appealed to me all that much. I don't really listen to their music all that much, as I have about only two to four of their songs on my ipod. I guess I've never really been into them. It's still not too late though.

I also respect the Beatles for launching Paul McCartney's and John Lennon's solo careers which were (and are, in Paul's case) absolutely FANTASTIC. I really like their solo work. But still, the Beatles are still pretty great. But there's just something about Floyd that is a little more spectacular, particularly the unique and magical sound. Syd Barrett, Roger Waters, and David Gilmour (and the other ones too) are just artists.
"Often, the best way to improve is swallowing your ego and realizing you're a terrible writer in all aspects of writing, then working to improve it."
-R.U.

Random avatar

Reviews: 32
Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:40 pm
View Likes
eviehoward says...

Although I adore all the above bands, I have to say that Queen gets my vote. The passion and effort Freddie Mercury put into that band was blimming amazing. Even on his death-bed he kept on recording.

While the rest are amazing, Queen is by far the best, especially with their Rock Opera.

Lets not forget T-Rex, Marilyn Manson (genius) and The White Stripes. All amazing bands!
“Books loved anyone who opened them, they gave you secruity and friendship and didn't ask for anything in return; they never went away, never, not even when you treated them badly. ”
― Cornelia Funke, Inkheart

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:00 am
View Likes
Loller65 says...

The Rolling Stones - While a great live band, their studio work was essentially just doing what was popular at the time. Not much innovation.

The Beatles - Most popular band of all time, and one of the most overrated. They sounded pretty, but they were just light pop, a la One Direction of the sixties.

Pink Floyd - Overlong and pretentious albums that boil down to Roger Waters complaining about how hard it is being a rich and famous rock star. Wish You Were Here is an absolute masterpiece, however. The Wall and Dark Side of the Moon? Not so much.

The Who - They invented the power chord, the Marshall stack, they invented auto destruction on stage, they pioneered stage showmanship, and they popularized the concept of the rock opera with Tommy and Quadrophenia. The were one of the first hard rock bands and created four utter masterpieces (Tommy, Live at Leeds, Who's Next, and Quadrophenia) in a row. They've influenced tons of bands over the years and are my vote for greatest band of all time.

The Doors - Excellent psychadelic rock, but nothing groundbreaking enough to be considered greatest of all time.

Led Zeppelin - Like the doors, but with hard rock / metal. Good, but not groundbreaking good.

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Freebird is a good song, but these guys are nowhere near greatest band of all time.

The Eagles - See above, but replace Freebird with Hotel California.

Queen - Overrated. Decent band all around, and I loved the score to Highlander, but these guys just weren't GOAT material.

Other (The Clash) - The greatest punk band ever, all the ones afterwards pale in compairson. One of the greatest bands ever formed. London Calling is an undisputed masterpiece and Sandinista is definitely one of the most visionary albums ever produced.
"There are no absolute rules of conduct, either in peace or war. Everything depends on circumstances."

-Leon Trotsky-

29 Reviews

Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:00 pm
Spotswood says...

Loller65 wrote: Wish You Were Here is an absolute masterpiece, however. The Wall and Dark Side of the Moon? Not so much.

Really? I understand your reasoning for the Wall. It's a good album, but I think it is quite overrated. But Dark Side of the Moon? I'm surprised. While I agree that it isn't Pink Floyd's greatest album, it possesses that status with the general public. It is my third favourite, but I still think it is an absolute masterpiece. Personally, my personal preference is Animals, but I like Atom Heart Mother as well.

I agree that Wish You were Here is a masterpiece, even though it is only #4 on my list. Personally, my favourite song is Have a Cigar :P
-R.U.

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:20 pm
CowLogic says...

Definitely Primus. They mastered the art of music to the degree that they took intense leaps into dissonance and a backwater rock that seems to succeed all the time. They managed to get an amazing sound out of the instrumentation of just three, and they work very well together, live and in record. Les Claypool is one of the greatest Bass guitar players of Rock, in my opinion, and he rocks things. Take it from Primus that the guitar isn't always the star instrument.

Right now, I'm really liking the Tales From The Punchbowl album, although Sailing the Seas of Cheese is also great.

If you haven't heard Primus, give them a listen. It's not for everybody, but if you like great, 90's grassroots bands who don't take themselves seriously (evidence = all their music videos), check it out.
The course skin of a thousand elephants sewn together to make one leather wallet.

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:45 am
Loller65 says...

Aren't Primus the guys that did HOINFODAMAN??
"There are no absolute rules of conduct, either in peace or war. Everything depends on circumstances."

-Leon Trotsky-

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:26 am
CowLogic says...

Yes
The course skin of a thousand elephants sewn together to make one leather wallet.

29 Reviews

Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:31 am
Spotswood says...

Hmm, I have actually never heard of them. In this threat however, I was referring to more along the lines of classic rock though.
-R.U.

133 Reviews

Reviews: 133
Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:00 pm
writerwithacause says...

Man you listed a lot of my fav bands there. Auch. Tough choice.
I am stuck between The Beatles, Led Zeppelin and Queen.
In the end I choose Led Zeppelin, because to me they were the closest to the idea of "rock" that I have in mind... the Beatles are, too, I love them... but... man, what Plant did with his voice, and what Bonham and Page on their instruments.. Wow.
The Beatles excel at composition and personally I love them, more than Led Zep, because their music is so heartfelt and so inspiring and simple at the same time...
And Queen is somehow at the middle.
I tried to choose regardless of my passion for the Beatles. Now I'm having second thoughts... I mean they were the first one to rock the world. I hereby withdraw my vote.
Tough choice.
And man, Pink Floyd too... I love them... their music, but they are more progressive than rock, I mean, I wouldn't say they "rock"... they come with another genre...
Also, on my top rock bands list I think I would've included AC/DC and, again, I would've had a hard time trying to choose just one band, because I've been to one of their concerts and it was the best live performance I've ever seen and heard.
Julie, a sucker for romance, historical fashion, medieval fairs and blues music. Add photography and you already know me 50%. The rest of me you'll discover through my writings and my photos.

my fictionpress
my greatest project, a history-inspired romance

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:18 am
SybilV says...

Of course Queen! Bohemian Rhapsody is an immortal super song, Freddy had such a terrific voice, I am their fan forever.

65 Reviews

Reviews: 65
Sat May 17, 2014 7:35 pm
wtppowers says...

Loller65 wrote:Queen - Overrated. Decent band all around, and I loved the score to Highlander, but these guys just weren't GOAT material.

Bite your tongue. Queen is the GOAT.
Queen is the greatest band of all time.
I'll be on the radio some day.
I want you to be my friend.
My blog is right here!!!!

29 Reviews

Sun May 18, 2014 4:51 am
Spotswood says...

what is with so few votes for floyd?
-R.U.

Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another.
— Lemony Snicket