z

Young Writers Society

Question/advice needed

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:01 am
sabradan says...

Okay, well here I have a dilemma. But first, some background.

As all of you, or at least most of you already well know, I am a proud Israeli. As such, I have to serve a mandatory 3 year military service. I have not yet done so, due to the fact that I am in hte US. I am currently enrolled at a community college, and if all goes according to plan, should be finished (graduae with an Associates of Arts degree) by next Spring, at the latest. After that most people do one of two things: enter the workforce or go on to a four-year University. I am currently debating between two other options: Go on straight to another four year university, graduate from there as soon as possible and do my army service after I get out while I'm still young (hopefully) or take a break between community college and four year university to do my army service. I am currently really leaning towards the latter, for multiple reasons, not least of which is I'm not sure what I want to do when I "Grow up" careeer wise. This will be, if nothing else, a maturing experience where I will be able to discover what I reallly want to do with my life.

So my question is this: what do you think I should do? College first then army, or take a break then finish school?

Also, if I were to go to the army first, do you guys have any suggestions on talking to my parents about it at all?
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:46 am
LamaLama says...

Go join the military. You may find that four year college is not what you're looking for, and that you could be perfectly happy in the military.
You wont find in college that you'll be perfectly happy without ever joining the military.
Beware of the scary banana fingers! For they are mushy, and yellow.

I will change my sig whenever another member asks me too. (please request publicly) Last change: Nov. 12 by: Griffinkeeper

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:07 am
Griffinkeeper says...

If you go to college first, then you will have more education. You'll probably get paid good money for your knowledge and it will increase your usefulness.

On the other hand the US Military will offer to pay for college. I'm not sure if this is the same for other foreign power, so this should be something you should look into. It might be possible for you to serve in the military and get an education simultaneously. Such an option would be be very hard work, but you'd complete two goals at one time.

I don't recommend interrupting your education. You can forget a lot in three years, so if you interrupt your education, you might need to retake some classes over again.

I think you should finish your education before you enter the military. Ask your friends, family, and people you trust. I disagree with Lama in the strongest possible manner. When you serve in the military, you will serve honorably for three years at least. After that though, what will happen?

It could be that you will enjoy the military and go make it a career. Perfectly honorable and it will pay well.

If, however, you don't enjoy soldiering, then college will give you skills that will make you valuable to the private sector. In America, employers are looking for soldiers, since they often have the drive to succeed. Adding on a college degree to this will drive up your value, military and private sector.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:42 am
Firestarter says...

I agree with Grif.

But, my best advice is follow your heart. Just do what you think you should do most.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

Don't aim at success--the more you aim at it and make it a target, the more you are going to miss it. For success, like happiness, cannot be pursued; it must ensue, and it only does so as the unintended side-effect of one's dedication to a cause greater than oneself or as the by-product of one's surrender to a person other than oneself.
— Viktor E. Frankl