425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:26 pm
Nate says...

This is RIDICULOUS:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14452732/

Turner to ax smoking scenes from cartoons

Cable network to remove decades-old sequences after viewer complaint

LONDON - Turner Broadcasting is scouring more than 1,500 classic Hanna-Barbera cartoons, including old favorites Tom and Jerry, The Flintstones and Scooby-Doo, to edit out scenes that glamorize smoking.

The review was triggered by a complaint to British media regulator Ofcom by one viewer who took offence to two episodes of Tom and Jerry shown on the Boomerang channel, part of Turner Broadcasting which itself belongs to Time Warner Inc.

“We are going through the entire catalogue,” Yinka Akindele, spokeswoman for Turner in Europe, said on Monday.

Maybe some agree with this, but this is absolutely ridiculous in my opinion. Smoking is bad for you, in fact it's terrible for you, but you shouldn't go back and edit the past! Besides, it changes nothing. Kids start smoking because of peer pressure and lack of parental involvement, not because a cat is sharing a cigar with a mouse.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:53 pm
Snoink says...

See, this is why the PC Police should be shot. Freedom of speech? And we can't ignore the past. That's just destructive.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:54 pm
deleted6 says...

That completly ridicolous that like saying that it stupid for Tom to get chopped by a chainsaw ect. Sure he getting flattened ect, but it not taking it serious. Half the things that happen in that cartoon a cat would die from. That person is such an idiot, it fricking fiction.
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:59 pm
LamaLama says...

well, thats a load of BS.

Just shows how far people will go to be a little PC.

None of this would be a problem if we could all stop suing the pants off eachother.
Beware of the scary banana fingers! For they are mushy, and yellow.

I will change my sig whenever another member asks me too. (please request publicly) Last change: Nov. 12 by: Griffinkeeper

Reviews: 1
Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:18 pm
Harmony'sSake says...

That is so stupid! People are going to smoke until they make it illegal and probably even then! Its not like we do everything we see on TV! If we did we wouldn't live past one! I like watching HP but I don't run to London and use my "wand" to hit on bricks and I don't jump off the roof on a broom! Its so dumb!
"You should have died! Died rather than betray your friends as we would have for you!" Sirius Black

You know you are obsessed when you know enough quotes that you could use a new one everyday for almost a year!

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:53 pm
Poor Imp says...

I suppose then they'll want to be editing out the Tom and Jerry knocking eachother off cliffs, bashing eachother's heads in, chasing eachother with knives...?

Cartoons, well, might as well be deleted permanently for imitative behaviour. @_@ Oy - of course, I see kids every day smoking like Jerry, jumping off cliffs like Bugs Bunny...etc.

Thick sarcasm - this would be funny if it weren't true...it's almost amusing anyways.
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:15 pm
David Guinness says...

Ads by Google: Turner Movie Channel

Because it's so popular in this thread. :D

I think there are some aspects of very old cartoons that would need editing for modern audiences, but exhaling pixel smoke isn't one of them...
David Guinness

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:45 am
Griffinkeeper says...

David Guinness wrote:I think there are some aspects of very old cartoons that would need editing for modern audiences, but exhaling pixel smoke isn't one of them...

Stop right there. What's this whole business about editing art work?

Cartoons are artwork, comedic in nature? Yes, but artwork just the same.

Cartoons, like art, shouldn't be 'edited' for an audience. Adorning the Mona Lisa in bling won't make it any better, neither would "editing for modern audiences." Great Cartoons are timeless, they don't need editing.

I think that when we try to restore art work, it is good since we are bringing it back to the original condition. Editing art work, on the other hand, is tantamount to desecration.

One idiot is all it takes.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

52 Reviews

Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:53 pm
LamaLama says...

I doubt the artfull credibility of tom and jerry, or scooby doo. Yeah, someone put a lot of work into them, but they're far from artfull.

I will change my sig whenever another member asks me too. (please request publicly) Last change: Nov. 12 by: Griffinkeeper

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:33 pm
Nate says...

I think what David is probably referring to is the really old cartoons, like the one where Porky the Pig says, "Son of a, Son of a, Son of a gun! Hahaha, I bet you thought I was going to say son of a b****, didn't you?" But those don't even have to be censored since they're never shown on TV.

What I can't understand is how are they going to censor cigars and cigarettes in old cartoons. Are they going to put a big black block that says censor on it? Or are they going to redraw it, or just completely cut it out?

And what do they mean about portraying it as "glamorous"? From what I can remember, nothing in the Flintstones was glamorous, and when they did smoke at say a Water Buffalo lodge meeting, it certainly didn't look fun.

But maybe they have a point. After all, I love to go wabbit hunting with a hat that's twice as tall as me.

52 Reviews

Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:47 pm
LamaLama says...

Probably just redraw it. Its not that hard to do anymore, but even without computers, they could still do it without much problem.

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:20 am
David Guinness says...

I think what David is probably referring to is the really old cartoons, like the one where Porky the Pig says, "Son of a, Son of a, Son of a gun! Hahaha, I bet you thought I was going to say son of a b****, didn't you?"

Yes, thanks. That's exactly the kind of thing I'm referring to. There are also other cartoons where there's obvious racial/sexist discrimination.

My concerns on these cartoons weren't so much TV-related,as they were public venue related. There have been a few incidents at public libraries and community centers when someone thought it would be fun to watch 17mm cartoons, and then every parent in the place files a complaint with the city.
David Guinness

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:17 am
Rei says...

This is going a bit overboard, I think. Why bother messing with these cartoons. Because that is all they are. Cartoons. Sure, seeing stuff like this on TV and in movies may increase a kid's chance of doing these things, but it is such a tiny factor.

Cencorship is fine, but only to a point. We do have to keep in mind things like freedom of speech and freedom of expression.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

52 Reviews

Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:40 am
LamaLama says...

So... a company can'r censor itself? Freedom of speach is just that. The freedom to say what you want, when you want. If you don't want to say something, why should you have too?

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:47 am
Rei says...

If you were replying to me, where did I say that? I was talking about cencorship in general. My point was that it's fine as long as it does not interfere with freedom of speech.
Last edited by Rei on Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.
— Stanislaw Jerszy Lec