z

Young Writers Society

Grif's an Eagle Scout!

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:44 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Today, I had an Eagle Board of review. I impressed the socks off my board, resulting in them passing me for the rank of Eagle Scout.

For those not familiar with the Eagle Rank of the Boy Scouts of America, let me take a little time to explain it.

Eagle Scout is the highest rank a scout can earn period. Only 13% of scouts earn it. Those that do go on to become elected officials, astronauts, explorers, and executives in major corporations. They embody the scout oath and law. To become one, you must earn 21 merit badges, 11 of which are required for Eagle, ten of which can be anything you want. In addition to this, you must spend six months in a leadership position, complete an Eagle project, pass a scoutmasters conference, and a board of review.

The board was the last thing. I had to prepare a binder (known as an Eagle Binder) for my board, which outlined everything I've ever done in my scouting career. It included all my merit badges, ranks, leadership positions, and special awards. I also had to get six letters of recommendation, one from a teacher, one from my parents, one from my religious advisor, and three from people that know me well. On top of this I had to give a statement of my life goals and ambitions.

The Board looked at the binder and then asked me questions. I not only answered their questions, but I told them stories. One of the board members said that "We should have a campfire and some marshmellows." That's how the board was, it was like telling stories over a campfire.

If none of this makes any sense whatsoever, let's put this in another perspective: the last eleven years of my life has been to become an Eagle Scout. Now, I'm an Eagle Scout. It's one of my life goals, now I can cross it off the list.

The whole thing is only beginning to set in now.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:22 pm
smaur says...

I gotta admit, I'm curious. Every single Eagle is a success story? Are they 100% sure about that?

Still — congratulations!
"He yanked himself free and fled to the kitchen where something huddled against the flooded windowpanes. It sighed and wept and tapped continually, and suddenly he was outside, staring in, the rain beating, the wind chilling him, and all the candle darkness inside lost."

214 Reviews

Reviews: 214
Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:48 pm
Prosithion says...

well, congratulation, Griff. I'm glad you made it, and I also want to thank you for critting my story. ^_^
"wub wub wub wub. Now Zoidberg is the popular one."

"Computer... Captain's musk"

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:45 pm
Griffinkeeper says...

Thanks.

Smaur, most scouts go on to become successful members of society. Only about 2% of Eagle Grads are found guilty of a crime. There was one notable case where a scout killed someone to see if he could get away with it. This is the exception rather than the rule. Things like that happen and no scout ever likes it.

I like to look at it as a 98% success ratio, rather than a 2% failure.

I'm in good company though.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:23 pm
Sam says...

What was your Eagle project?

...my friend's brother helped make an aviary cage for the local nature park. The Eagle stuff is always really cool.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:57 pm
Snoink says...

He had to paint two vandalized bathrooms. :o
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

214 Reviews

Reviews: 214
Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:50 pm
Prosithion says...

It's always nice when a friend succeeds at something they try.
"wub wub wub wub. Now Zoidberg is the popular one."

"Computer... Captain's musk"

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:12 pm
Areida says...

Oh, wow, Grif, that's a really big deal! Congratulations; I'll bet Snoink's really proud of you. ;) Come to think of it, I'm proud of you too. Have a cookie!
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:55 pm
Duskglimmer says...

Congrats Grif!

My brother's an eagle scout to, so I know how much work goes into it. I'm very happy to hear that you made it.
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:10 pm
Teufelshund says...

Nice job, Griffinkeepr. If anyone deseerves that title, you do.

I was in the Scouts for a few months when I was twelve...but then I quit because I was a nasty undisciplined quitter back then...

Once agian, good job.

*Now, If you join the U.S. military, you'll graduate from Basic one pay grade above any other recruits. :)
Semper Fidelis

"If I became a philosopher, if I have so keenly sought this fame for which I'm still waiting, it's all been to seduce women basically. "

-Jean-Paul Sartre

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:29 pm
Snoink says...

Areida wrote:Oh, wow, Grif, that's a really big deal! Congratulations; I'll bet Snoink's really proud of you. ;) Come to think of it, I'm proud of you too. Have a cookie!

Very proud! I thought he wouldn't make it... he procrastinated long enough. The family was as nervous as it could be, especially since the first bathroom he painted was pretty much a disaster. But he learned from his experiences, and all is well!

I don't know... as a leader, you find yourself put in all these WEIRD positions that many people would just curl up and cry once they find themselves in this position. But a real leader learns from his mistakes. And that, really, is awesome. :)

Plus, I get to call Grif a bird-brain!

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:19 pm
Areida says...

What, you couldn't call him that before? I usually call Addie a twit whenever she bothers me. Bird-brain might be a good one to add to the collection. :P
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:25 pm
Snoink says...

Actually, I usually come into his room, blabber incoherent nonsense and then walk out, as if nothing ever happened. It makes him rethink his ways.

Haha... illustrating absurdity by being absurd! :D

if ya mention chickens, i have to show up, that is the law.
— alliyah