z

Young Writers Society

This Is Scary (Part II)

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:29 pm
Nate says...

A somewhat similiar incident to what happened in England a week ago happened in West Virginia today:

Airport 'Bomb' Alert
Updated: 20:36, Thursday August 17, 2006

A West Virginia airport terminal has been evacuated after two bottles tested positive for possible liquid explosives.

A bomb-sniffing dog reacted to the containers in a woman's carry-on luggage.

A screener noticed the bottle as the passenger, of Pakistani origin, prepared to board a flight to Charlotte, North Carolina.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,, ... 52,00.html

Maybe something like this happens every week, and we're just now noticing it. After all, after 9/11, people were seeing the numbers 9/11 everywhere simply because we were more attuned to those numbers.

Hopefully, that's all there is going on here.

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:46 pm
LamaLama says...

That could be-
Kind of how when one major building burns down, all you hear about for the next week is buildings catching on fire.

Speaking of which, and this is also frightening.
A man my father works with was out in the shooting range a few days ago. When he finished, he put his gun away and headed for the airport where he was catching an afternoon flight to DC for some business. (They both work for Northrup Grumman, building things that we aren't allowed to know about.) He made it through Epply's security, with a loaded gun in his bag, until they finally caught him in D.C. and arrested him there.
Beware of the scary banana fingers! For they are mushy, and yellow.

I will change my sig whenever another member asks me too. (please request publicly) Last change: Nov. 12 by: Griffinkeeper

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:41 pm
Cassandra says...

^ Jeez, that's scary, Lama. *shivers*
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:06 am
Ares says...

Was he testing those people or just being...forgetful?

52 Reviews

Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:37 am
LamaLama says...

He just forgot he had it on him.

I will change my sig whenever another member asks me too. (please request publicly) Last change: Nov. 12 by: Griffinkeeper

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:25 am
David Guinness says...

That's scary, but it's certainly better that it was a person who simply made an honest mistake, instead of someone who actually intended to cause harm.
David Guinness

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:34 pm
Bjorn says...

And how would we know? We shall forever live in a constant state of fear. I'm aggrieved because of it. Whether or not these 'threats' are real or not, the mindset of the people shall be one of fear. This means alot of things, most negative. Why can't we live in a simpler age? It's times like these I wish we lived in days where enemies fought face to face, as men should!
Killing For Peace Is Like F#@%ing For Chastity
Revolucija Je Sada! Revolucija Je Stobom I Svima! Revolucija Je Uvijek-Zivi Uz Revolucije I Budite Slobodni!

52 Reviews

Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:45 pm
LamaLama says...

Yanno- the US wages war in such a way that we hold back fighting face to face until we absolutely have too. Even then, not really.

126 Reviews

Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:30 am
Bjorn says...

Yes, which means that people would then try harder NOT to get themselves in a conflict, knowing the death toll and destuction that could come out of it.
Revolucija Je Sada! Revolucija Je Stobom I Svima! Revolucija Je Uvijek-Zivi Uz Revolucije I Budite Slobodni!

52 Reviews

Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:04 pm
LamaLama says...

Not necisarily.

126 Reviews

Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:36 am
Bjorn says...

You're lucky I'm not one to lash out at people who love to rebuttle with technicalities :)

52 Reviews

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:46 am
LamaLama says...

Yes, which means that people would then try harder NOT to get themselves in a conflict, knowing the death toll and destuction that could come out of it.

That's not true. Its not a technicality, its just plain wrong. People are reluctant to fight, or they are willing to fight, they aren't usually deterred from war until after we start bombing the sh*t out of them. The "shock and awe" tactic is exactly what thats for.

The MOAB bomb is a fuel air bomb that explodes just before impact. So it doesn't spray debris all over the place, but the explosion is still gigantic. The blast radius- just the explosion, nothing else- is 150 yards, Thats three football fields in one direction. 10 miles away you can feel the shockwave (fuel air bombs have an immense shock wave because of the nature of the explosive) and its painfull at 10 miles away. You can hear the explosion well beyond 50 miles out.

Effectively, its the replacement for an entire bomb bay full of smaller bombs. Which are still used to take out air fields and such. It takes 1 c1-30 to deploy 1 MOAB, since its the size of a small freight truck.

The few people that actually know about this weapon aren't enemy combatants. They're upper level US Air Force types, those that deal with bombs, and history channel geeks. Like me.

This bomb is, and was used in the shock and awe compeign in Iraq. Its only purpose is to be terrifying, while taking out a few acres worth of targets in the process. But thats a secondary function.

126 Reviews

Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:49 pm
Bjorn says...

A bomb is a bomb - and to an unenlightened public, i.e. the 'enemy', it causes destruction and death. We know it doesn't-or does it? All I'm saying is that I'm sure the Iraqi public have a very different view of things, they are experiencing this first-hand. *shrugs*

52 Reviews

Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:59 pm
LamaLama says...

Right, a bomb is a bomb. And the power we have that your talking about is generally unknown. Most people don't think our bombs are any better than anyone elses.

Until they see them at least.

Nobody wants to see the village of the happy people.
— Lew Hunter