z

Young Writers Society

THIS SHOULD BE ILLEGAL!

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:17 am
LamaLama says...

So what? Its just recruitment, its not hard to get rid of them. I've dealt with it already. Tell them your physically unable, and you stop getting calls.

And nothing about giving away your information is illegal. Even for the US government, which is subject to the same laws that private citizens, and corporations are. If a corporation can sell your information, then the government can use it.

Why are you so concerned about recruitment anyway? Its not like its the draft, which you are legally REQUIRED to register for, at which point the recruitment process starts ANYWAY. So relax, you'll be called with or without the no child left behind act. Give em a break, they're out there, risking their lives to protect your freedoms. humor them. All the guys I've talked to have been really nice, and didn't push me like I was thinking about buying a car. I had a nice conversation with one of these guys for about 20 minutes after he knew I wasn't joining.
Beware of the scary banana fingers! For they are mushy, and yellow.

I will change my sig whenever another member asks me too. (please request publicly) Last change: Nov. 12 by: Griffinkeeper

493 Reviews

Reviews: 493
Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:18 am
Misty says...

Anything that undermines my rights as a citizen (and yes, having personal information handed out is a violation of privacy, particularly considering that I'm a concientious objector) should be illegal. But that's just where the country's going.

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:26 am
Sam says...

They want to send me an army hat and a DVD?

...okay. But they can't draft me, so what does it matter?

If you're so uptight about your right to privacy, then why do you have a profile on this site?

You tell me. :wink:
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:15 am
deleted6 says...

To answer mnay question why i did this was cause i found it out okay and my girl friend American and i wasn't throwing a hissy fit i was just horrified. Sheesh sorry maybe i should stop helping people all together. Oh well maybe this was a bad idea maybe it wasn't i was wanting to help.
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

493 Reviews

Reviews: 493
Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:11 am
Misty says...

You had every right. Please continue to post your concerns. I agree with you.

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:04 am
Bjorn says...

You're taking the risk of going to a federally funded school *shrugs*. It's like someone eating at McDonalds-the individual is taking the risk. That's the way democracies work. While it may be morally incorrect, or at least not nice, meh. I don't live in America, so I've nothing to fret about ^_~
Killing For Peace Is Like F#@%ing For Chastity
Revolucija Je Sada! Revolucija Je Stobom I Svima! Revolucija Je Uvijek-Zivi Uz Revolucije I Budite Slobodni!

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:36 am
LamaLama says...

Misty wrote:Anything that undermines my rights as a citizen (and yes, having personal information handed out is a violation of privacy, particularly considering that I'm a concientious objector) should be illegal. But that's just where the country's going.

A number of things bother me about that statement, I will list them in the rank with which they baffle me, from greatest to least.

1)Your a conciencious objector?! Your not even elligible for the draft, number 1. And number 2, if you are unwilling to defend your freedom, then you shouldn't have the right to enjoy it. Thats just an opinion, but consarnit this country wouldn't exist without a lot of blood having been shed. This country doesn't continue to exist without blood being shed. I'm not saying that every man and woman should join the military. I'm just saying that if a draft starts, your country is obviously in need. And if you aren't willing to help ease that need, then wtf are you doing to help? And no- conciencious objection, sharing your voice, or protesting like the founding fathers wanted you too doesn't count. Right up until your needed somewhere else, I'll accept that, but not once you start taking away from someone to do it.

Because, by dodging the draft (which, remember, you aren't elligble for unless you are male and 18 or over) you are effectively taking away from your service of choice. They're one extra person short now, and maybe, just maybe, you having been there could have saved the life of a solder that died. Not because you weren't on the field, shooting guns and killing people, only 1 in 10 do that. But because you weren't there to refuel his tank, keep his gun loaded, keep his unit fed, or at the very least, give him some new, clean socks, and prevent some terrible diseases from eating away his foot.

2)Your personal information is probably in about 30 computers in Washington D.C. It isn't your property. Things like, your social security number for instance, are given to you by the government. So long as they maintain its security and it is not used for any illigitmate purpose they can do what they want with it. Like, for instance, running a full background check, going so far as to run background checks on your family and friends as well. Which has been done for years. Of course, if you're just going to visit the white house, they don't bother with anyone but you. But if you're applying for security clearance to some secure area or information, they'll run checks for, and speak with, anyone you might have had any significant contact with in the last 15 years.

They aren't handing out your information to a private company. They're transferring your records from one state department to another. If you've ever held a legitimate job, recieved a paycheck, and had taxes taken out. Then you've already signed a government document that puts your signurature with your record, with your soc. number, and any other information that might go along with you. Residence, most current phone number, family, guardians, criminal activity both indigtments and convictions, and number of background checks and what they concerned.

3)Where this country's going? Where its been. No Child Left Behind started in the early days of Clinton. But the Army recruitment process has been around for as long as the army has. Or, did you think those guys giving out army fliers at your high school were there for kicks and giggles? Did you think that applying for a federal grant for college didn't give them that information anyway?

Why do you even worry about conciencious objection anyway? They aren't pulling you into the military, they're giving you a phone call or two, asking you to join up, make Uncle Sam proud, etc etc. Which, by the way, you are perfectly within your rights to say, right then, "put me on your don't call list. I'm not interested." It will be the last call you recieve. The army getting your info isn't a death warrent. Its a recruitment step.
Beware of the scary banana fingers! For they are mushy, and yellow.

I will change my sig whenever another member asks me too. (please request publicly) Last change: Nov. 12 by: Griffinkeeper

The thing about plummeting downhill at fifty miles an hour on a snack platter - if you realize it's a bad idea when you're halfway down, it's too late.
— Rick Riordan, The Son of Neptune