This Is Scary

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:33 am
Nate says...

BBC News, although it's covered everywhere else too:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4778575.stm

'Airlines terror plot' disrupted

A plot to blow up planes in flight from the UK to the US and commit "mass murder on an unimaginable scale" has been disrupted, Scotland Yard has said.

It is thought the plan was to detonate explosive devices smuggled in hand luggage on to as many as 10 aircraft.

Police are searching premises with 21 people in custody after arrests in London, High Wycombe and Birmingham.

High security is causing delays at all UK airports. The threat level to the UK has been raised by MI5 to critical.

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:37 am
Emma says...

As long as it's planes to America that's going to explode... My Chris is alright. Man, that is scary.

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:18 pm
Dream Deep says...

Emma wrote:As long as it's planes to America that's going to explode... My Chris is alright. Man, that is scary.

What? "As long as it's plane's to America that's going to explode"? Yeesh, that's no good either... ARGHHHHH! Terrorism... just really makes the world suck, ya know?

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:25 pm
Sureal says...

Yeah, American airlines are the ones that are believed to have been targetted.

Meh, this is just great - I was meant to be taking a plane out to Scotland tomorrow.

People have been arrested from:

London,
Birmingham,
High Wycome.

I live near High Wycombe - I visit it every now and then too. And I was in London yesterday, although I've never been in Birmingham. And whilst we're here, one of the terrorists involved in the London bombings lived in Aylesbury (where I now live).
I wrote the above just for you.

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:23 pm
Ares says...

Bad stuff.

But good stuff. We got em!

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:21 pm
Firestarter says...

My uncle is currently stuck at an airport.

I hope they can prove it was a real threat.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:04 pm
View Likes
Cassandra says...

Eek. Good thing they caught them and everyone's all right...

And Sureal, that's pretty scary!

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:34 pm
Poor Imp says...

Oy, I suppose terrorists have been and are trying this thing whenever they can. It is a little disconcerting to think it got this far...
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:46 pm
Ares says...

I think the movie 'World Trade Center' is releasing today...or yesterday, or soon. I erally don't know when.

But maybe there's a connection.

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:48 am
Doctor Kitty says...

No more tooth paste and listerine on planes.

The person sitting next to me better have Altoids.

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:29 am
View Likes
deleted6 says...

Okay warning rant.

I hate those f**king terrorist they don't blow up stuff, but man they make life harder and harder no mp3s no handbags for my Mum. No ipods no mobile well what if the plane was going down i sure like as hell to say goodbye too my love ones. They not blown up a bomb recently at all but still making life difficult. Hello music helps you relax and no bottles of juice this is beyond a joke. Beyond a fu**king joke. I'm hopefully going to America MN in 2007 and i'm really really afraid of heights i thought i could solve that problem with my mp3, but no Terrorist have to ruin it god why? Is this what religion brings? sighs angerily.

Rant over.
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:03 am
Bjorn says...

I don't know who to target as the real terrorists anymore: A world-wide network of terrorist cells, whos supposed nerve center is Al-Qaeda or our governments, our corporations, our ideology of so-called 'Freedom' and Capitalism. I'm sure the "Wests" actions have triggered individuals, or groups, to move against it; but that they are all interconnected in a web controlled by Al-Qaeda? Don't give one organization the blame for all the terrorist attacks and misfortunes that befall the "West", for they could not possibly undertake such a task. No, violence breeds hatred or at least is subject to retaliation.
Now, what better way to show the people that they are in iminent danger anytime, and that only they (i.e. the government [that is currently in power]) can protect them, than foiling an alleged terrorist plot which was bent on staining the skies over the Atlantic red? And that these people must be fought, and that they are all connected, with Al-Qaeda being the nerve center, and that these and these particular states harbour and/or fund Al-Qaeda? And so these states must be brought down because they support terrorism - for how else can one physically fight terrorism? It's impossible, for terrorism is an act not an entity.
So you see were I'm coming from in not knowing whether to believe this or not. One can easily say, "Well what about 9/11?". I've only to say, "Well what about the Reichstag fire?". I'm not comparing anyone or thing to Nazi Germany or Hitler, only the tactics, which, grant you, were not developed by the Nazis, only cleverly employed by them, and now that they are so infamous, so much seen with them. Sometimes one has to remove themselves, mentally, from their societies norms and take into persepective...everything. Societies are built on trust, I understand, and human-kind wouldn't get this far without it. But! In situations like this, perhaps one should question one's politicians. Unfortunately, America, specifically, doesn't practice direct democracy-where the choice to go to war would be directly in the publics hands. It may not be as different, as the government would capitilize on the publics outrage and grief following 9/11, swaying the public to go to war. But Iraq-that could have been preventable. Why I see not going to war on Iraq as a good thing-from what the U.N. inspectors said, there was nothing to worry about. Unfortunately, before they could finish their search, America mercilessly bombed Baghdad and sent in their own search-teams - findings turned out to be negative after-all... Thus breeding hatred amongst peoples who either knew they did nothing wrong, or Muslims in general, who feel this is nothing more then a Holy War against them-"West vs Islam". But! They toppled a nasty facist regime, bent on conquering the world, and nuking America with chemical imbued nuclear megaton bombs; subsequently installed a democratic government, yet for all their wasted bombs and lives, the country seems to be tearing into civil-strife. Not a day goes by without a Sunni attacking a Shiite(sp?). And best of all-they got all that black, viscous liquid for themselves! Huzzah, another victory for democracy...or capitalism? :? But I respect others views, and am only posting mine own. The worst thing that can happen to my concious now is if I spent all my energy converting someone to my beliefs, only to find out the next day I was wrong all along! The horror! :shock:

Maybe I'm listening to too much Laibach... :roll:
Killing For Peace Is Like F#@%ing For Chastity
Revolucija Je Sada! Revolucija Je Stobom I Svima! Revolucija Je Uvijek-Zivi Uz Revolucije I Budite Slobodni!

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:57 am
LamaLama says...

Siegfried wrote:Okay warning rant.

I hate those f**king terrorist they don't blow up stuff, but man they make life harder and harder no mp3s no handbags for my Mum. No ipods no mobile well what if the plane was going down i sure like as hell to say goodbye too my love ones. They not blown up a bomb recently at all but still making life difficult. Hello music helps you relax and no bottles of juice this is beyond a joke. Beyond a fu**king joke. I'm hopefully going to America MN in 2007 and i'm really really afraid of heights i thought i could solve that problem with my mp3, but no Terrorist have to ruin it god why? Is this what religion brings? sighs angerily.

Rant over.

Airlines still have radios, usually with free headsets that only work on the plane. And they still have drinks on board. So its not all bad. I mean, yeah, it sucks. With each new restriction they find something new to take on board to make our lives harder. Thats all they want to do. They want to make us afraid to travel.

I doubt this is perminent. Give it a few months and the restrictions will probably be lifted. Just until the threat goes down a little bit. If not, then they'll probably start making things available after security checkpoints that you can take onboard that are garanteed to be safe.
Beware of the scary banana fingers! For they are mushy, and yellow.

I will change my sig whenever another member asks me too. (please request publicly) Last change: Nov. 12 by: Griffinkeeper

266 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 266
Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:55 am
backgroundbob says...

Hah, when was the last time you were on a plane? :D nowhere's given out free headsets since Canada3000 collapsed ten or so years ago. These days, I just bring my own.

We flew back from Canada just yesterday, so we had some of the restrictions: no liquids, gels, pastes etc., but the pilot warned those of us on a return journey that it was likely no hand luggage would be allowed at all.

The thing is that soon terrorists will find a way to remote detonate bombs in checked luggage, so we'll have to have a separate luggage plane and fly double the amount of people over at once. But of course, if you look at drug mules as an example, it's like suicide bombers will find a way of just implanting the bomb inside themselves. If the government hadn't caught the terrorists before they started the plan, it's likely the would have suceeded: it was pretty damn clever, and the checkpoints probably wouldn't've spotted it.

It's like what they always say about burglers: no matter how impressive and space-age alarm and security technology gets, there's always going to be an intelligent thief who figures out the loopholes. I'd say, start taking advantage of easy air access while you can: it might not be around much longer.
The Oneday Cafe
though we do not speak, we are by no means silent.

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:10 pm
Skye says...

I was in the middle of the Amazon when this story broke. We flew back I think the day after that into Miami and then Chicago, so there were huge amounts of security. Luckily the taxi driver told us about the liquids ban, otherwise we would have had to totally repack at the airport.

This is scary stuff, but at least we got 'em.

(Psst, bob: I've gotten two pairs of free earphones recently, and I even think they were American Airlines flights. They didn't give us food, but by God, we had earphones! :P )
"A poet in love is best encouraged in both capacities or neither." ~ Jane Austen, Emma.

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
— Albert Pines