z

Young Writers Society

Fishr's Musuem in a room

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:16 am
Fishr says...

First Lama, I'm not a guy. Look to the left under my avatar. Good.

You have them hanging the wrong way, by the way. The blades will rust if you keep them out like that, and you need to keep them oiled.
No offense, but most people know metal rusts do to possible and excessive moisture in the air in certain areas of a house, and thus it's usually common for people to oil any type of metal on a regular basis to prevent rust.

Not to mention, I've displayed blades like this several times, well, not with nails, that's actually temporary, but anyway the blades will not rust since I'm not located where moisture is a major issue. If that was the case, the wood have been the first to rot away, or signs of fungus would have long been present. Depending on the grade of steel, it usually doesn't show signs of rust instantly. In a few months or even years, it's possible if the collector never oils the blades.

And please, if you MUST have them out, turn them around. Sharp edge up. You may not realize it, but your house is moving just enough to shake them babies around just enough that the tacs are wearing down on that one spot on the blade. (another reason you keep them away, among the obvious other reasons.) So by hanging them like that, you are doing irreparibable damage to the edge.

Well, a few things here, Lama, and every collector is different mind you. But the knives that are displayed, all but one, the German straight-edged (the handle is brown and curved), are never in use, an actually before I acquired any - all the blades were already dull; a testament of their age or lack of use. ;) To sharpen them in their current state, would lesson their appeal and value in a sense. It would take away the age so to speak.

Now, if I understood correctly, you suggest I have the blade vertical?? That's a safety factor, if that's what you meant. Think about it. If by some chance there was a shake (unlikely in Vermont though) or gravity force strong enough to disrupt knives from two stories up, the very last thing I want is vertical blades crashing down. The way they are positioned now, if such a thing were to happen, the knives would fall flat. If the blades were vertical there's more of a chance one could fling forward.

As for a Khukri, I've never owned one, and for the record, Lama, while I'm mostly Scotch and English, my family background from both sides has Native American blood running through... Save sermons for next Sunday.

EDIT: Hmm... maybe you're thinking of a pocket knife? I've mentioned a couple of times that I own a small pocket knife from WW2; pure steel, and on the front is stamped - U.S - It is a heavy little bugger.

While I admire you trying to help me, I do honestly believe a better approach could have been made, sir. You were by all accounts, putting yourself higher than me, and treating me as an inferior. Just remember Lama, we all have our way of doing things, and a better solution would to have been asking me - more importantly, if my current display was to be permanent, which it is not, instead of jumping to conclusions.

I've been collecting for a while, (and I've actually have been looking for a nice glass case for my recent and growing population) even though my methods may not match up to others, again, you could have been more curitious and respectful.

Thank you.
fishr
Last edited by Fishr on Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

362 Reviews

Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:32 am
Fishr says...

OK, now that I've had time to reflect, I finally unlocked my trunk and pulled out the knife. I don't actually think it was produced in the 1940's specifically but it's a survival tool. The blade is stamped Camillus, and under the company's name - 1977. I've had this knife in my possession since I was twelve, and it has barely seen the light of day. I never taken it out doors and I've probably used it six times in the span it has been with me. This knife hold one heck of an edge, and honestly the last time I've had to sharpen it was two years ago but it's hardly seen use either. The knife belonged to my second uncle whom served in WW2, and when he passed away, the knife fell into my hands. :)

WORLD WAR II:
RESUMING THE UNWAVERING SUPPORT
During World War II, Camillus picked up where they left off with WWI - producing knives that were used by the US and Allied forces. And they did so with a vengeance - between 1942 and 1945 more than 15 million knives were shipped off to the armed forces. These knives encompassed a broad range of styles - from large fixed blade fighters to multi-blade camp style, electrician's knives to sailor's marlin spike knives - these Camillus products no doubt played a role in helping the US and its allies succeed in the two wars. The following is just a small sampling of the extensive line of knives that were manufactured for the war efforts.

Camillus Cultry Website

Enjoy, and no Lama, this one is not hanging on my wall, and never will. ;) It belonged to my second uncle on my mom's side, and I never want to lose it.

Thanks for looking. :)
fishr
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

362 Reviews

Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:29 am
Fishr says...

I have to do some more research but there's a chance both of them came from WW2 - or least saw action in that war.

The Medelo Argetineo 1909 bayonet (longer bayonet) was constructed to fit Argentino 1909, Mauser Infantry Rifle, manufactured in Germany under the company of Weyersberg, Kirschbaum, and Co - Solingen. The blade is stamped with a serial number and with the Argetine Crest. Both the serial number on my blade and on the frog match, so there is no mismatching and the two are the originals in that series. My serial number is G 3815.

For a little more information, here's a link: http://arms2armor.com/Bayonets/arg1909.htm

There was another model before the Mauser 1909 - the Medelo Argetineo 1891 bayonet.

This next one is unique in a sense because it could be used as a 'sword' or a bayonet because of it's frog. Notice on the frog, there's the option of hooking it to a belt?

This one I'm still researching, but I believe this bayonet came from WW2 as well. If my research is correct the name the bayonet is a German K98k.

The K98 bayonet was a modification of the already modified S84/98 bayonet that had been originally developed in 1915. Manufacture of this new modified bayonet began in 1934 with mass production beginning in 1936.The K98 bayonet was a standard issue item and was accompanied by a bayonet frog to be worn on the reverse left side of the weight bearing waist belt. The K98 bayonet remained the standard issue bayonet through-out the war with minor manufacturing variations. As the war continued the quality of the bayonets deteriorated and in mid-1944 most manufacturers discontinued producing the bayonet to concentrate on producing other essential war materials.

Information taken from: http://www.germanmilitaria.com/Heer/photos/H15655.html

It needs another coat of oil, that's for sure. :)

But, owie! Can you imagine getting impaled by either or? I'm not sure if the pictures show it but on the very top of the blade, you might see a divit that travels south of the blade. The divit or chasm was used for when the end of it impaled its target, the blood could drain down - away from you.

Well, I hope you enjoyed looking at them (and my horrible photography skills)!

On a side note, I actually have one more new 'toy' that I didn't take a picture of. It's a small knife with a stag handle; very, very sharp! The blade is about four inches without measuring it.

Have fun!

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:24 am
Snoink says...

This is really interesting... like stuff that could be used for display in a museum! When you get rich after pulishing Bound, maybe you can start one up! ;)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

362 Reviews

Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:32 am
Fishr says...

So... a display in a museum... That's a great compliment. *is humbled*

You should see, anyone actually, the various crap I have around my house. Every so often a knife pops up that I've forgotten about. I know because I found a locking blade two weeks ago!

I'm giving it to a co-worker's son, who is interested in knives. What a better way to pass on my hobby (and one of my own personal knives) to someone else. :)

it's ok, death by laughter was always how i've wanted to go out
— Carina