z

Young Writers Society

Points Contest

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:04 pm
Nate says...

Thought I'd give an update on how the points contest is going so far since this is the first time we've done it since February 2005.

Right now, only 11 people have a total points number below 500, and only two have below 400 (both of whom have donated a ton). That compares to 57 who have a total points number above 500. That's really good and very encouraging.

The older members will remember that donated points figured into the total. That is still true, although I'm going to be doing it differently than last time (last time around, I counted up all the donated points by everyone by going through the database, but we had a lot less members in January 2005). This time around, I'll really only be looking at the donated points by the top 5 (you can view the top 5 on the front page).

However, when going through the donated points database, I'll also be looking for any members whose name pops up a lot. So if you only have 534 points at the end of two weeks, but donated over 3000 points, I'll definitely notice. If two members are close in total points, preference will always be given to the member who donates more. Currently, the top donating user is Elizabeth.

However, I also want to add that with the points contest, the prospect of possible cheating does arise. I don't know why somebody would cheat, but I've already caught one person.

There’s always a story. It’s all stories, really. The sun coming up every day is a story. Everything’s got a story in it. Change the story, change the world.
— Terry Pratchett