z

Young Writers Society

Deleting my account

Random avatar

Reviews: 22
Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:49 pm
View Likes
Grandison says...

I've been away for a while on a different writing site, and I've come to find that the structure of this site has changed. I can't even locate my work on here. Now I just want to delete my account, which I'm unsure how to do as well. Help?

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:29 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

You can't delete your account.

The way to find your work is: Go to "Browse" and click "View Mine." That gets you all your work.

If you have any more questions, click the link in my sig (Site FAQ) and post any more questions you have. :)
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Random avatar

Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:48 pm
Grandison says...

I no longer want this account, so I wish for it to be deleted. I no longer use this site, so yea, I would like for my account to be deleted.

1272 Reviews

Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:54 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

As I said, you can't delete your account. I'm sorry to see you go, but the best option is simply to stop using your account and letting it fade into obscurity.

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Random avatar

Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:10 pm
View Likes
Grandison says...

What? What type of site is this where one can't even delete their account or have an admin do it? Leave it alone? No, I do not want my works coming up in searches, even if I have taken the words down. Are you telling me an admin can't delete my account either?

1272 Reviews

Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:27 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Not even an admin can delete your account. If we delete your account, not only will the posts remain, but there is a likelihood there will be a glitch on the server side (which would be very bad, because that could cause problems on the rest of the site). This is because the site is forum-based, which uses a completely different setup than sites like Facebook.

We can change your username if you want traces of this username to go from the site, but that's it.

Random avatar

Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:42 pm
View Likes
Grandison says...

That is something that should be worked on immediately. If a writer seeks to get published and they're unable to delete their account, that is a MAJOR problem. Not being able to delete accounts is a flaw for the site, even other writing sites have that option. The only thing that helps is that I've taken down all of my words

1272 Reviews

Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:53 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Removing the text from all of your works completely removes them from the site's database, making the text impossible to show up in searches. It is actually better to remove your works through the "edit" button than delete your account, because, as I said, deleting your account does not remove your posts or the text within it. This is an artifact of YWS being set up as a forum site, which quite a lot of us enjoy.

If you wish to make your works not show up in searches, then please follow the steps above to find your works. (Click "Browse" at the top of the site, then View Mine to the right hand side. Open every thread you see, edit out the text, and move onto the next topic)

As for how to fix it, because of YWS' forum set-up, this inability to delete accounts is built into the site. Editing works astoundingly well; in seven years, I haven't heard of a problem getting into contests or published because the work was posted on YWS. This is either because the work is removed, or publishers didn't care.

Thanks for the comments, and hope you continue to improve your writing.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:34 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

Yeah... sorry! We don't delete accounts. It does screwy things with the website. However, in this case it's a good thing, because deleting your account doesn't mean that mean that your works get deleted... it just means that your works stay up and you can't ever delete these works. So, actually, this works in your favor! :D

You need to go through your profile and delete everything that you want to take down. To do this, just follow Rosey's directions. It's a pain, yes, but you'll be able to make sure that everything that you posted is down and can never be accessed again. :)

Once you're done with deleting, I can always ban you permanently from the site and change your name so that you're even harder to track down. If you are interested in this, please PM me and I will be happy to do this.

Also, if you have any more questions, feel free to PM me.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Have a biscuit, Potter.
— Professor McGonagall