z

Young Writers Society

David Gemmell Dies

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:28 pm
Firestarter says...

I can't even express how saddened I am this minute. David Gemmell is my favourite fantasy author, perhaps one of my favourite authors of all time. His writing was brilliant and he created awesome characters. I had been eagerly awaiting his next book on Troy and any others he decided to write.

I had hoped to meet him at a book signing one day, but alas, fate has removed that.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5224868.stm

Fantasy novelist David Gemmell, best known for stories such as Legend and Waylander, has died at the age of 57.

Gemmell had heart bypass surgery two weeks ago and appeared to be making a good recovery, according to his publisher Transworld.

His career began in 1984 with Legend, a tale of a fortress under siege. He wrote 30 novels in total.

I am absolutely gutted.

His books mean so much to me and I'll treasure them even more and never forget his memory. I aspire to be as good a writer as him. His books will stay with me the rest of my life.

His determination and self-belief will stick with me. It took him over 20 years to finally get published and look where it got him. I won't give up.

RIP David Gemmell. Thanks for everything.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:23 pm
Ares says...

My sympathies, Jack.

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:51 pm
Poor Imp says...

Only 57?

Oy, I'm sorry - though sorry I know won't change much except for being something sympathetic to say. Do you think his publishers will print his more recent/what he was working on posthumously?
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:50 pm
sabradan says...

:(
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:39 am
Jiggity says...

Oh my god. I'm like crying right now. I cant believe this. It's absolutely terrible and like you I had been eagerly awaiting his next book. I cant even express how saddened I am.

My day has been ruined. I am now in mourning. I cant believe this.
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:38 am
Elelel says...

Oh no! I didn't know. I've only just started reading his books, and I love them, and he's gone. ANd he was only fifty seven. Sad smilies do not convey enough emotion.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:06 am
Firestarter says...

Apparently his next Try book will still be released in September posthumously, but it is not known how far he got into the third one.

Apparently he died slumped on his computer, writing his novel.

The right way to for a man who never gave up and always worked hard.

I just finished Lion of Macedon and so have read exactly half of his 32 books. I can't wait to read the other half.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:51 pm
Dream Deep says...

Oh my God. *hugs Jack and Jiggy*

Wow, that's... that's terrible! Poor guy was only 57? Yikes, my dad's 52! :shock:

I don't think I ever read any of his books, but he sounds like a fine guy. :cry:

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:59 pm
Firestarter says...

Yeah -- he was only 57, but at the same time he was a heavy smoker.

This just reinforces all my beliefs on smoking.

The best and most beautiful things in the world can not be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.
— Helen Keller