z

Young Writers Society

Blair to seek U.S. support on ending Mideast crisis

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:01 pm
David Guinness says...

(CNN) -- British Prime Minister Tony Blair headed Friday to Washington, where he was expected to press President Bush on a swift solution to the Middle East crisis.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/07/28/us.britain/index.html

Comments?

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:39 pm
Firestarter says...

This means Blair will go and try and do something, but eventually will end up saying the exact same things as President Bush.

Our Prime Minister needs to grow some balls.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:52 am
Bjorn says...

"We want a Lebanon free of militias and foreign interference, and a Lebanon that governs its own destiny"-Bush

That's why you attacked Iraq when they invaded Kuwait...
Killing For Peace Is Like F#@%ing For Chastity
Revolucija Je Sada! Revolucija Je Stobom I Svima! Revolucija Je Uvijek-Zivi Uz Revolucije I Budite Slobodni!

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:39 pm
David Guinness says...

You have a point, Bjorn. The only difference is a middle name.

I'm just saying.
David Guinness

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:58 pm
Brian says...

There was a great article in the Economist just a week or two ago which explained why where the United States goes, England goes. To summarize, it dates back to the Suez crisis. England, France, and Israel concoted a conspiracy that would give them a reason to attack Egypt. They did this without anyone knowing, much less President Eisenhower at the time. Once it happened, Eisenhower became incensed and threaten to dump all English bonds then held by the United States Treasury. Thus, England halted the invasion, which then incesned France. Since then, England has gone with the US, and France has tried to oppose the US at every turn.

Regarding the Iraq-Kuwait comparison to the latest crisis, that's a very limited comparison. Iraq was a dictatorship that wanted to completely takeover Kuwait. Israel is a democracy that is temporarily occupying southern Lebanon. In all likelihood, Israel will comply with whatever resolution the UN passes. The same could never be said for Iraq.

So in all reality, comparing Iraq-Kuwait to Israel-Lebanon ignores the geopolitical sitution and the reality of the crisis in favor of an over-simplified version that has absolutely no bearing on what is going on currently, and is thus dangerous as disregarding knowledge is always dangerous.
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov

Half the work that is done in this world is to make things appear what they are not.
— Elias Root Beadle