z

Young Writers Society

And So it Ends...

266 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 266
Mon May 22, 2006 12:35 am
backgroundbob says...

... In darkness, and tears, and the gnashing of teeth. The last toasts have been drained, the last bottles drunk in farewell, and the empty glasses and chairs are scattered haphazardly through the darkening hall. Guests say their hushed goodnights, and steal home quietly through the still, warm May twilight to lie awake in their beds, wondering if they should've left; if they could've stayed. Along the waterfront, tipsy couples are singing off-key with their legs dangling off the wharf, trying to serenade some spirit into the cold twinkling of stars that burn a little further away, tonight; reflected clearly in the gently lapping water of the harbour, they seem to blaze with promise, just out of reach.

Around the front lawn of the old hall, the last faithful still wander, mingling stubbornly, refusing to walk away before the end. They've been up all night, and they know they'll be up to see the sun rise on a new day, whenever it comes. With only the muted glow filtering from the heavily blacked-out windows, daylight seems a remote memory; there is a brief moment while the last few stand in the open doorway, shaking hands and clasping one another in final embraces, before the entrance is empty, and the lone figure under the arch waves a tired farewell. As the huge door closes, and one by one the light behind the curtains go out, even the most hopeful have to wonder when they will next meet again in such a place, with laughter and tears and warmth and friendship rolled into the pressing ache in everyone's stomach. A few cry quietly, but most only nod, as if they know that all good things must come to an end.

The night is terribly dark as the gardens finally empty, and the wrought-iron gates close abruptly behind them. All through the town, and down to the moonlit beach, men and women sit silently in the dark, waiting for the dawn. Conversations tail off into nothing, as one by one, exhausted by grief and sorrow, people lay down their heads to sleep, curling up next to one another to ward off the cold of what will be a long night.

High on the battlements of the hall, a lone figure stands tall, as if trying to catch a last glimpse of the sun. The wind whips up around his face, catching unsaid words from his mouth and flinging them high into the air, whispering peace into uneasy dreams in the streets below.

"Shed no tear! oh, shed no tear! The flower will bloom another year."

The people sleep, waiting as people have always waited. Waiting for the dawn.
The Oneday Cafe
though we do not speak, we are by no means silent.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Mon May 22, 2006 1:43 am
Areida says...

:cry:

That's really beautiful, bob. Thanks for posting it.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Mon May 22, 2006 3:01 am
Doctor Kitty says...

Holy ****!

That's the most beautiful thing I've ever read! No joke. The descriptions were perfect.

10/10

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Mon May 22, 2006 5:58 am
sabradan says...

beautiful. Perfect. Completely and utterly describes the way I feel about this departure, as well as goodbyes in general. So, yeah, goodjob!
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Mon May 22, 2006 10:54 am
Firestarter says...

Well said Bob.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

98 Reviews

Reviews: 98
Mon May 22, 2006 11:54 am
Sophie says...

Raises glass in silence

Man, this really feels like the end of the world.
Oh the trees!
Take me back to London please!!!

136 Reviews

Reviews: 136
Mon May 22, 2006 12:45 pm
thegirlwhofateloves says...

Bob, I'm warning you....you make me cry, I kill you!
:D love ya honey, tis fabby.
x
www.myspace.com/prettytorture
felicitypepper@hotmail.co.uk

Big up the YWS Massive!

....And I still don't know what SPEW is....

Random avatar

Reviews: 124
Mon May 22, 2006 1:12 pm
Reyu says...

I linger on, but always in the shadows. It was a beautiful sunset wasn't it bob?
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

~George Carlin

The Completely Evil Plan.

266 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 266
Mon May 22, 2006 1:15 pm
backgroundbob says...

Aye.
The Oneday Cafe
though we do not speak, we are by no means silent.

Random avatar

Reviews: 124
Mon May 22, 2006 1:20 pm
Reyu says...

backgroundbob wrote:Aye.

We still got 9 hours and 40 minutes until this place shuts down... LETS PARTY!!!
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

~George Carlin

The Completely Evil Plan.

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Mon May 22, 2006 5:17 pm
Shriek says...

Awesome work, as always. Pity this has to be the last I will read from you -- for the time being, at least. Thanks for sharing.
i thought you were shallow, but then i fell in deep.

139 Reviews

Reviews: 139
Mon May 22, 2006 11:07 pm
Torpid says...

bob, nicepiece right there.

I am very sad...

688 Reviews

Reviews: 688
Mon May 22, 2006 11:42 pm
xanthan gum says...

Wow. Beautiful. I'm saving it, just because I know it's gonna make me cry one day.

I feel like one of those people watching the lights turn off one by one...like someone watching a boat sink from a lifeboat. Or some poetic crap like that. =]
Carpe Diem.

Time is money, money is power, power is pizza, and pizza is knowledge!
— April, Parks & Rec