z

Young Writers Society

America Hates Athiests

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Mon May 15, 2006 5:06 pm
Sureal says...

A 2006 study by researchers at the University of Minnesota involving a poll of 2,000 households in the United States found atheists to be the most distrusted of minorities, more distrusted than Muslims, recent immigrants, gays and lesbians, and other groups. Many of the respondents associated atheism with immorality, including criminal behavior, extreme materialism, and elitism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athiesm#Discrimination

Heh, and whilst we're here:

Kirk Cameron's 'How to Talk With an Athiest'

'Let me ask you a question: who do you know who is insane? Your sister? Your brother? Your mom? Your dad? A good friend? Your child? Now think of their terrible fate if they die without Christ.'

EDIT: Oops - should be 'isn't saved,' not 'insane'.
Last edited by Sureal on Mon May 15, 2006 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I wrote the above just for you.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Mon May 15, 2006 5:30 pm
Firestarter says...

Total discrimination - but it's "okay" because atheism is seen as "wrong". You are seen as morally, ethically and generally inferior to anybody who hyas a religious belief, and in my time as an ahtiest, agnostic and other sorts I have been treated pretty disdainfully by a number of "religiously superior" people who act like they are living a better life than me. However, it is not serious discrimination, since nobody truly acts on it in the same was as racism, for example. But it is still stupid to think that way. Atheism is as much as belief as Christianity and Islam, and all parts have their weaknesses.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Mon May 15, 2006 5:46 pm
Incandescence says...

We all know Atheism does not correspond to immorality; it does, however, correspond to a-morality. But that is balanced by a sense of Ethics which are more useful than morals, anyway.
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

266 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 266
Mon May 15, 2006 6:07 pm
backgroundbob says...

'Let me ask you a question: who do you know who is insane?
Umm.... 'who do you know who isn't saved.'

Just as there are people who make the argument for the non-existence of God like idiots, there are people who make the argument for Christianity like idiots. In fact, prejudice against athiests is absolutely no different from any other type of prejudice - some people are idiots, and what they believe in becomes the rallying point for their idiocy.
The Oneday Cafe
though we do not speak, we are by no means silent.

Random avatar

Reviews: 681
Mon May 15, 2006 6:18 pm
Sponson Light says...

He, my good sir, is a dumbass. First off he acutomatically assumes the athiests believe in the big bang. Strike One.

He doesnt cover everything. He covers one answer and one direction. For example, he says how can you say there isnt a god?
He does not ask how can you say there is a god? Strike Two

A building has a builder.
A painting has a painter.
Thats 2 different makers already.
How does that tie in with one god? How can you say the painter built the building?
How can you say the watch maker made sand? Strike Three. 5 mins into the movie.

"its been made with purpose and design"
Not everything was made with purpose and design. If you look at the whale's skeletal system, there are a pair of useless bones, why are they there? Evolution made them useless, but they stuck there ever since.

You could see the retard juice flowing out his ears.
You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, instead, you should read every single book to see what every book is about before you even come close to judging its viability.

506 Reviews

Mon May 15, 2006 6:27 pm
Sureal says...

backgroundbob wrote:
'Let me ask you a question: who do you know who is insane?
Umm.... 'who do you know who isn't saved.'

lol, you're right :). It must be the poor sound quality, 'cos I could have sworn he said insane. And a friend I showed the video heard it as 'insane' (without me mentioning it before hand) too. But yeah, now that you point it out, you're right.

The arguments put forwards by Kirk Cameron aren't rare - everytime I come accross a debate on the existance of God (I always take the 'God can neither be proved nor disproved' position) those arguing on God's side use pretty much the exact same arguments he put forwards (I've actually come across some worse ones - at least Cameron doesn't claim Satan put the fossils there to foil us).
Last edited by Sureal on Mon May 15, 2006 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I wrote the above just for you.

104 Reviews

Reviews: 104
Mon May 15, 2006 6:33 pm
Joeducktape says...

I would love to know what these vestigial bones are that you mention Sponson.
Check my new and improved blog:

weblog.php?w=764

[/shameless plug]

506 Reviews

Random avatar

Reviews: 681
Mon May 15, 2006 8:21 pm
Sponson Light says...

No no no, those hind limbs are satan's tricks to foil you!
You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, instead, you should read every single book to see what every book is about before you even come close to judging its viability.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon May 15, 2006 8:28 pm
Snoink says...

University of Minnesota's Study

One thing that bugs me about this is that the statistical procedures regarding this question weren't expanded on. How are we supposed to be able to critically analyze this article if we're not given the raw data?

*growls*
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Tue May 16, 2006 12:18 am
zelithon says...

:shock: ...I'm a sinner!

Kirk Cameron also does not really argue towards christianity in particular. He gives no aurguments (however bad) that Jesus was the savior. Someone he interviewed should have pionted out to him that jesus was not the only one to die on a cross, also that there is no prove of his perfection.
As far as aithiest discrimination, I have been told that i better convert soon or i am going to hell, even when i was about five. That does not make me against christians or make me think they are all ignorant stuborn fools for believe in god. I even half respect them for having so much faith, but when someone starts thinking religion=ethics then I do think they are ignorant.

I am so going to hell.

(sorry no spell check, and good one "you can almost see the retard..." yeah I deserve hell)
Adults are just obsolete children, and to hell with them!
-Dr.Suess

Deadpanners are backtalkers!

badonkadonk
Atheism is a non phophet organisation

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:02 am
Bjorn says...

It's strange that Christians should 'hate' atheists, because that would go against their teachings... Are not Christians told to "love thy neighbour"? Someone saying "your gonna go to hell because you don't believe in god" isn't a valid reason to convert-that's called pressure. Your not giving them a choice, your forcing them. Quite a perfect religion...
Killing For Peace Is Like F#@%ing For Chastity
Revolucija Je Sada! Revolucija Je Stobom I Svima! Revolucija Je Uvijek-Zivi Uz Revolucije I Budite Slobodni!

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:07 am
Poor Imp says...

Bjorn wrote: Someone saying "your gonna go to hell because you don't believe in god"...

...could be - though isn't usually expressed as - an act of love. Frankly, if you believed with reason and heart that someone who didn't believe in Jesus Christ would be damned, you would do everything you could to tell said person about the risk and about your God. If you knew someone was stepping towards cliff, wouldn't you scream at them?

That's not to say it's all said the best way, or that all, or even most Christians think clearly about what they believe. The logic's there.
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:32 am
Roaming Shadow says...

It seems to me, at least that I've seen on the news, that quite a few people within religion are becoming fanatics. True, it's nowhere near a majority, but they are the ones being heard. In my opinion, religion almost seems to cloud judgement in some people, causing them to do irrational things in the name of "God".

Religion is just a way of explaining things are can not yet be explained, and to give people a hope on life. When you make "belief" into irrevocable "fact", that's when you have a problem. Leave religion a way that governs your life, and leave it at that. Besides, which religion is right? Hmm? They can't all be right. Think about that.

I, for one, am an athiest. I have my own morals, ethics, and beliefs, but I do not believe in god. In any god. His existance goes against my own beliefs on life. I may change my views in the future, but for now, my beliefs are firm.

Well, that's all I'll likely have to say on this subject unless something new comes up. These are my thoughts, take them as you will.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:03 am
Snoink says...

Roaming Shadow wrote:It seems to me, at least that I've seen on the news, that quite a few people within religion are becoming fanatics. True, it's nowhere near a majority, but they are the ones being heard. In my opinion, religion almost seems to cloud judgement in some people, causing them to do irrational things in the name of "God".

It's been this way since humans could think. If you have a strong enough opinion on anything, you're going to get heard in any and every possible way you can get heard. It's called perseverence. There are going to be fanatics about most every conceivable subject. This one just happens to be about religion.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Who, being loved, is poor?
— Oscar Wilde