z

Young Writers Society

Odd One Out?

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Mon May 15, 2006 3:29 pm
Sureal says...

I'll give 500 points to the first person to say which of the following is the odd one out and why.

Leopard?

Tiger?

Cheetah?

Lion?

If you think you know which one of these is the odd one out then post your answer here (along with why you think its the odd one out). The first person to give the correct answer and reason will get 500 points.
I wrote the above just for you.

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Mon May 15, 2006 4:12 pm
zell says...

The cheetah cause its faster then the others.

Am i right.

506 Reviews

Mon May 15, 2006 4:19 pm
Sureal says...

Nope :smt003.

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Mon May 15, 2006 4:28 pm
zell says...

The lion cause it's the only one without stripes or dots.

506 Reviews

Mon May 15, 2006 4:34 pm
Sureal says...

No :).

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Mon May 15, 2006 5:22 pm
Firestarter says...

Cheetah is the odd one out ...

because all the others (lion, leopard and tiger) are part of the panther? genus of the cat family (or something like that) while the cheetah is something else. I think. It's something like that anyway. Of course, I'm probably completely wrong, but it sounded good in my head.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

506 Reviews

Mon May 15, 2006 5:28 pm
Sureal says...

You are actually right (well, pretty much).

A cheetah is not part of the Panthera genus - that is, it is not a big cat. In order to be a big cat it has to be able to roar, which a cheetah is unable to do. So the 500 points go to Jack :).

Interesting note: the leopard in the picture above is a Amur Leopard - one of the (if not the) most beautiful of all big cats. However they're quickly dissapearing from the planet - there is now less than fifty of them left in the wild. It's only a matter of time before they disapear completely.

Interesting note 2: the snow leopard in my avatar is also not part of the Panthera family - it is not a true leopard and can not roar.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Mon May 15, 2006 5:38 pm
Firestarter says...

Cool info Sureal, and of course, thanks for the points! I knew the cheetah was the odd one out straight away, but it took me some time to work out exactly why.

That Amur Leopard is certainly beautiful! Let's hope they find a way to save them.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

Words are pale shadows of forgotten names. As names have power, words have power. Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind