z

Young Writers Society

Geek Moments

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:34 am
KailaMarie says...

I have those moments all the time! One time I was in a store, and some lady's cell phone died, and she looked at it and said "Stupid phone. You die all the time."

And since my english teacher taught us literary terms, I thought "Hey, that was an apostrphe!"

(apostrophe=directly speaking to an inanimate object. Just in case anyone thoguht I was talking about the grammatical apostrphe, which is very different.)
... :D ...
[url]spottedturtle.tumblr.com[/url]

216 Reviews

Reviews: 216
Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:47 am
asxz says...

Ha ha, a more recent one for me...

I was rock climbing with my friend, and I was going up faster than she was, and I immediately though of the reason. I thought to myself...

Well, I have more momentum than she does, increasing my speed through inertia, and taking up less energy in the long run. If I keep moving, then even though my weight is slightly more (adding gravitational pot. energy, therefore making it harder for me to get up there) the velocity will still be more than hers.

I told this to her, and she was just like... "whats inertia" luckily she couldn't slap me because she was still up on the wall.
::XoX::KeepWriting::XoX::

GENERATION 29: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Writing is 3% talent and 97% not being distracted by the internet

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:57 am
Elelel says...

During the olympics I was sitting in the college common room watching the men's syncronised diving. There was a bunch of other people there.

This One Guy: It must be really tricky. I mean, if your partner was heavier than you they'd fall faster and hit the water first, so you'd be out of time.
Me: ... no ... heavy things don't fall faster than light things.
This One Guy: Yes they do.
Me: No they don't. It's been proven. If you drop a large ball and a small ball at the same time, they hit the ground at the same time.
This One Guy: Pfft! That's ridiculous.
This Other Girl: Yeah, it's not like that. What about a bowling ball and a feather?
Me: Well that's because of air resistance not the weight.

They only believed me when I asked some engineering students at dinner, and they backed me up. But before that happened it reached the point where they were going "yes, yes. Whatever. Just shut up. We don't really care. No, don't tell us the formula for working out the time it takes an object to fall vertically. I didn't do physics for a reason. Please stop! PLEASE STOP!!!"

So that was fun!

Oh, and I have a club to watch Doctor Who with.

*geek*
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

280 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 280
Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:43 am
Nutty says...

I had one- the english teacher was discussing something to do with old modes of transport. I explained the differences between a buggy and a coach and a wagon, the way horses were cared for, stabling etc. I can't quite remember why, but I spouted quite a lot of information.
He looked at me and asked, "How do you know all this?"
My answer?
"I read a lot of books set in medieval times and play a lot of roleplaying games."
Lol.
It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:25 pm
WaterVyper says...

I once corrected my math teacher who incorrectly stated that the centillion was the largest number so far. There are actually the googol (10^100) and googolplex. (One with a googol zeroes after it). Then, everyone started staring at me weirdly and somebody asked,

"Isn't googol the internet thing?"

And then I was, "No, googol is ten to the hundreth power. It means that it it ten times ten time ten a hundred times."

"That'd be ten with a hundred zeroes after it, right?" another person asked. And I was really ready to explode there.

"No! Ten to the second power, or ten squared is one hundred. Ten to the third power or ten cubed is ten times ten times ten, which is a thousand. Ten to the fourth power is ten times ten times ten times ten which is ten thousand! So, you get ten times ten times ten times ten and so on and so forth until you get a hundred tens! That's a googol!"

By that point, the people from the other class had heard. And another one, in math class again, was the statement that pi was transcendental. This'll go math teacher, followed by me, math teacher, me, math teacher me, and so on.

"Pi is transcendental which means that it has no pattern and it goes on forever."

"You can't prove that! It's an argumentum ad ignorantiam."

"Could you explain?" (I don't think he knows what I said)

"Just because Pi is an amazingly long decimal doesn't mean that it has no pattern. Today, computers can calculate billions of digits of Pi, and so far, no pattern has surfaced. However, since Pi is thought to be neverending, a pattern might appear somewhere. We just haven't discovered it yet." (Yes, I know this is a really bad form of debate)

"I mean could you explain what 'argument ad ignore' means?"

"Argumentum ad ignoratiam is Latin for Argument to Ignorance. It means that you're saying something is true because it hasn't been proven false. "

"Exactly how do you know that?"

"I debate."

"And what might that have to do with this?"

"I'm just pointing out a fallacy in your earlier statement."

"...Why?"

"Because."

"...Which statement would that be?" (he forgot)

"Uh... I forgot." Then, I looked at the board. There was a diagram of a circle, the value of its circumference, and its diameter. "Oh yeah... Pi!"

And then, a classmate screamed out, "Chocolate!"

I think I need some help. Nah.
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:18 am
View Likes
~Excalibur~ says...

Pi has a pattern. The pattern is its formulation, but the formulation patternization is not the pattern you speak of, so you are both wrong and right from your viewpoint.

Back in high school we used Lorrentz equations to mess with time dilation to ultimately prove how intergalactic battles with light speed travel and t-line communication will inevitably become the defender's game. Which disproved every popular source of sci-fi much to a few people's (okay entire tables) anger at the seemingly infallible mathematics of Star Wars.

For a mock battle, I used an inverted Sea of Dirac (later renamed Sea of Diarrhea by said friends..) to point out the fallacy of time flow and how victory would fall into my hands every single time despite any argument of tactics, power or force ratio differences (5:1 being assumed max).

Brains melted trying to wrap themselves around that one.
Currently writing Gaea Arc #1 - Poisoned Throne

Help Class 5-B get started! (Link works now)
topic44711.html

216 Reviews

Reviews: 216
Wed May 06, 2009 7:31 pm
asxz says...

Well, i got bored in my year 10 science class, so i went to the back of the room and started to read a year 13 chemistry book. It was completely ridiculous, everyone thought I was Einstein, but I said it was easy to understand. The teacher didn't mind because it had the same topic we were doing in it [organic chemistry]

I have my brothers one, which is just general science. It also had organic chemistry in it, and I was creeping my class mates out by telling them what was going to happen next. [turning alkenes into alcohol, combustion of alkenes] And at one point, I caught my class mate copying a graph out of the book. I didn't bother to take it to science the next day!
::XoX::KeepWriting::XoX::

GENERATION 29: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Writing is 3% talent and 97% not being distracted by the internet

312 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 312
Thu May 07, 2009 7:02 pm
View Likes
Mars says...

My geek moment is that the other day, I was just wondering where this thread went. Then I read all the new ones and giggled to myself.

face/palm.
'life tastes sweeter when it's wrapped in poetry'
-the wombats

critiques // nano

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri May 08, 2009 12:44 am
Rosendorn says...

Lol Mars, I was thinking the same thing.

My geek moment of the week would be wanting to analyze The Big Bang Theory, a sitcom that's been in the paper a couple of times, for character archetypes.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Sat May 09, 2009 4:35 am
Lexcy says...

i have so many but this is the funniest. i was reading a book and my bff came over and asked me if i could spell check something. i was reading the title of it when i saw the word "read" and i asked her if it was past tense or present she was confused and then said she didn't know what it was so i had to explain to her it could be either when she finaly got it she said it was prestnt since the rest of her paper wad past tense i told her she got one wrong but it didn'n matter cause no one would know she got mad at me and saind she was going to tell the teacher i wouldn't correct the paper. when the teacher came over i explained the situation to her and she laughed. my friend stood there making one of those I-just-don't-get-it faces. lol it was the funniest thing ever.
"Straight as a circle."~Tyler Nelson
don't worry if you've never heard this before, he's not famous. He's one of my buddies.

261 Reviews

Reviews: 261
Thu May 14, 2009 12:35 pm
KnightlyAngel09 says...

Me and my bro ordered a 10 inch pizza and proceeded with finding the Area of the pizza and making the equation of the circle of the pizza.:)

Oh and I see free body diagrams everywhere. Ooh, look, gravitational force, ooh, upward force, ooh, torque, ooh, pivot point... Yes, I'll stop. haha.
All that I'm after is a life full of laughter, as long as I'm laughing with you.:)

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Sat May 16, 2009 11:53 pm
XYZinnia says...

:) There are some really cool people here.

Let’s see, something I do that’s not really geeky is I‘ll answer people in percents.

(Ex:
Lady: How many people in your group want pizza?
Girl: 8!
Boy: 6!
Me: 73%!)

Oh, and one time my sister asked me a question and I answered in binary. :oops:

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Mon May 18, 2009 12:36 am
thunder_dude7 says...

Today, in church, my pastor mentioned when she used to live in Detroit. A man there would always say, "God don't make no junk!"

She proceeded to ask, "Say it with me..."

The rest of the congrigation repeated the phrase. I said "fix the grammer and maybe" under my breath.

134 Reviews

Reviews: 134
Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:31 pm
Hippie says...

Well, i got bored in my year 10 science class, so i went to the back of the room and started to read a year 13 chemistry book.

You have year 13 where you live? The horror. 12 years is more than enough to suck out your soul.

I know what it's like to have done physics. What was once a pretty rainbow is now white light being totally internally reflected in water droplets, and having the constituent wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation refracted at slightly different angles based on their refractive index so they are perceived to be coming from different locations on an arc.

When I open a bottle of fizzy drink I think, "the bubbles are coming out because I have increased the volume, and according to Le Chateliers principle, an increase in volume will shift the equilibrium to favour the gaseous carbon dioxide."

I can't even stick a magnet to the fridge without visualising the lines of magnetic flux.

Isn't knowledge horrible.
Q: Where do you go to buy shoes?

A: At the shoez canal, lol.

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:48 pm
Musicaloo7311 says...

I apparently have started to correct adults' grammar without knowing I even do it. *head/desk*
Click-ity click! Reviews here. :)
The Completely Evil Plan.

"You treat me badly; I love you madly."
Formerly known as music_lover_7311.

Follow your passion, stay true to yourself, never follow someone else’s path unless you’re in the woods and you’re lost and you see a path then by all means you should follow that.
— Ellen Degeneres