z

Young Writers Society

Geek Moments

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:23 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

I'm pretty sure about 99% of the people on here are geeks in one way or another. Ever had one of those moments where you realize it? Yeah, when you say things of think things that no other person would even wonder or put together.

Mine for the day:

I was reading a cartoon in the paper today, Non Sequitur, about a girl who's currently thinking that as long as you sound smart people won't question you. Well, in an attempt to sound smart she replaced "Bermuda Triangle" with "isosceles triangle." I read that and think: And it doesn't help that the Bermuda triangle is equilateral, or is it isosceles? It could be scalene..... I need to look that up!

And yes, I did look it up. From what I can tell, the Bermuda Triangle is equilateral.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

312 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 312
Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:43 pm
View Likes
Mars says...

Hahaha. Geek.

When I'm skating on ice, and I pick my foot up and put it back down, and think, Static friction! Kinetic friction! Static friction! Kinetic friction! Physics has pretty much taken over my life.
'life tastes sweeter when it's wrapped in poetry'
-the wombats

critiques // nano

273 Reviews

Reviews: 273
Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:54 pm
View Likes
Explosive_Pen says...

Okay, my recent geek moment:

Inauguration Day. Biden was sworn in at 12:00. Bush's term ended at 12:01. Obama wasn't sworn in until 12:05. So technically, Biden was president for four whole minutes, and Obama's really the 45th president, no?
"You can love someone so much...But you can never love people as much as you can miss them."

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:32 pm
silverSUNLIGHTx says...

Obama's the 44th president ep. Close though.
--->Don't forget we've got unfinished business. Stories yet to unfold, tales that must be retold.
-Alex Gaskarth

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:59 am
Face Engine says...

silverSUNLIGHTx wrote:Obama's the 44th president ep. Close though.

Nay, he would be the 44th if Biden didn't have four minutes of presidentship beforehand. Unless Biden didn't actually count as "president", having a different title? I don't know, I'm British, so I'm not as concerned about American politics as most Americans should be.

Speaking of which, I'm probably the only person at my school who has said something like what follows about David Cameron: "If you ask me, he's just a big bully. Granted, an intelligent bully, but a bully nonetheless. And besides, what's worse than a big, intelligent bully?"

My most recent geeky moment was probably in a general knowledge quiz (in a History lesson). One of the other teams was asked "in which country does a bridge connect Europe and Asia?" which, for some bizarre reason, nobody else knew! The teacher even gave a clue (it goes across the Bosphorus), but even then the team had no idea. I wanted to shout out "Turkey!" so badly, but doing that would result in my team losing points, and the girl next to me was known for her bad temper. My head nearly exploded when the other team said "Russia".

My geekiest moment ever was when I claimed that the exterior of a wheel rotating on the spot would move faster than the interior. Then one of my friends said it was the opposite way round, which baffled me, so I endeavoured to prove to the world that I was right using simple mathematics. I showed the obvious proof to my friends, but they kept on arguing back - even one of my science teachers refused to take sides on the matter. I was like, "What the hell? This isn't philosophical or anything, it's SIMPLE MATHEMATICS and you're a science teacher!!!" Then I found out that Albert Einstein himself stated the exact same thing, yet clearly my friends just hadn't developed the logic centre in their brains as they refused to accept that I was right.
Last edited by Face Engine on Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
I refuse to acknowledge the existence of this signature.

106 Reviews

Reviews: 106
Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:00 am
View Likes
Princess says...

Okay, here is my geekiest moment..Yet..

I was brushing through my curly hair this morning, and it is still wet. I kept wondering to myself about how much volume wet hair would be compared to dry hair. It was driving me nuts, so I said it in math class today and everybody looked at me like a freak.
I came into this world wrinkled and ugly. And no matter how much I accumulate here, it's a short journey. I will go out of this world wrinkled and ugly. So I enjoy life.

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:54 am
tinny says...

One of my friends forced her boyfriend to drive us out of town one night for some fish and chips. We were sat on the pier eating them when we heard this really weird sound, and when we looked pver the edge we could see these tiny cute little birds, except we had no idea what they were. My first reactions was:

"Let's draw a picture and annotate it and then tomorrow when we get back we can try and identify it!"

"Yeah!"

The sad thing was we had no paper ;___;

She's on my course this year so sh knew exactly what I was on about XD though I'm not sure if it makes sense to anybody else just how geeky it actually was >>;;
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:22 am
Linx says...

My geek moment happens usually in History. I always correct and question the teacher.

But my geek moment for the day is reading the posts before me.

It doesn't matter what time Obama was sworn in. There apparently an amendment saying that the president-elect becomes president on January 20 at 12:00 pm. Whether he took the oath or not, he's president.

So, Biden was never president. Obama was president for four minutes before he actually took the oath.

Yeah, I said that in Histoy too. :D
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." ~ Lao-tzu

Attack, IM, or PM me at any time. I will respond. ;)

106 Reviews

Reviews: 106
Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:28 am
Princess says...

...now I'm confused.
I came into this world wrinkled and ugly. And no matter how much I accumulate here, it's a short journey. I will go out of this world wrinkled and ugly. So I enjoy life.

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:53 am
View Likes
Tatra says...

I know that all of you will understand this. I had a geeky moment today, but I still had fun. There were two free 'events' at school today: free coffee and free greeting cards. I got chocolate coffee, despite the fact that I don't really drink coffee, but this had enough sugar. And then I was looking at the greeting card and thinking, I really don't have anyone to give this to, plus I wouldn't want to give it away. But, I was reading the cards anyway, even though I was thinking that I would just walk away. And then the artist started talking to me, so I stuck around longer and really started looking at the cards. And I found one card that would totally fit into my story, well, I could imagine Spike (FMC) giving the card to Jack(MMC). So, of course I got that card done out to my MMC.

The card reads: Guess What, Jack... My hiccups are gone! Inside: -You're that scary.

Yes, I am a total geek. 8)
Some people fall in love and touch the sky.
Some people fall in love and find Quicksand.

- Incubus

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:06 am
Snoink says...

Equilateral triangles are isosceles though... just not the other way around. O_o
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

1272 Reviews

Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:31 pm
Rosendorn says...

Mars- Thank you! On this thread, that's a compliment.

Snoink- I was just saying what was on the cartoon.

A geek moment my mom won't let me forget: When I was three, I woke up and basically gave the roles of cells in blood. Red blood cells carry oxygene, white blood cells fight desease and platelets clot blood when you're cut. I think I gave more, but I don't remember.

Yeah. Geek for life.

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

312 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 312
Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:46 pm
View Likes
Mars says...

Face Engine wrote:My geekiest moment ever was when I claimed that the exterior of a wheel rotating on the spot would move faster than the interior.

Did you tell them that it's just because the exterior has to move more distance in the same amount of time? It doesn't even need mathematics.
Rosey Unicorn wrote:Mars- Thank you! On this thread, that's a compliment.

I know. O.o xD

Rosey, you also reminded me of a geek moment. About an hour ago, I was critiquing a poem, and the writer had said "crimson veins." Half my review was explaining how veins are blue, because they carry blood without oxygen to the lungs, and then (red) arteries carry oxygen-rich blood from the lungs to the heart. (I'm right, right??) :p
'life tastes sweeter when it's wrapped in poetry'
-the wombats

critiques // nano

1272 Reviews

Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:06 pm
Rosendorn says...

You would be right! If you look close enough, you can actually see purple blood at your wrists where they mix.

That's a good one though!

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:05 pm
LilyJamey says...

My veins are green. I think I'm colour blind. o_0

My geekiest moment that I can remember right now would be saying "Bodkin means a small knife" during class. The teacher didn't come, and we were doing our Home Econ. homework. Labelling cutlery, of all things.

That's not exactly geeky, is it? My "No!! Quadrilateral does NOT mean square!" (frustrated) to my friend was more geeky, I think. My teacher told us that quadrilateral was four-sided, then my friend was like, oooh, that means they're square!

Gah.
Got YWS?

Chickens are honestly little dinosaurs. And they know it.
— ChieRynn