z

Young Writers Society

Geek Moments

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:08 pm
GryphonFledgling says...

I was on a field trip with my class and our bus went around a curve, and I actually stopped to think about why mass doesn't make a difference in centripetal force (that the bus could go just as fast/slow as any other car around the turn and be fine, despite the fact it was probably six times larger).

Physics is taking away my brain... Which is weird, because it isn't my preferred class by a long shot.
I am reminded of the babe by you.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:44 pm
StellaThomas says...

One morning I woke up with a desire to work out what 126 divided by three was. I just had to know.

Our whole history class are geeks, which is actually nice, because all the people who would, clique-wise be "popular" are geeks too. Some moments we've had:

Discussing WWI:

"If one side or the other just began digging their trench forwards with some protection over them then the war would have been over."

Also:

Teacher: "There was a feminist movement that said that history was all about men, hence his-story."

Guy: "Um, actually, that would mean there were two s's so, er... why don't they just go and throw themselves in front of racehorses?"

*everybody laughs.* That was the funny thing, we're all such geeks we knew what he was talking about (it may have been anti-feminist, but it was also really funny).

Oh, and my own personal worst, I complained about the grammar on a friend's pyjama top. I said "The apostrophe's in the wrong place" and crickets chirped outside.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:48 am
cheese9975 says...

Haha, these are great ones you guys. I have a cousin who is the same age as me, same school, same grade, we don't get along super well. Long story short, he's a pain in my booty. So, he likes to make fun of me and say I'm a geek, which I am, but he just doesn't actually know anything about me or my friends, but he likes to pretend he does, so, in his mind, I'm a really big Math geek. One time we were sitting around talking about something and then something about Math came up, I don't really remember, but he just went,
"Is that what you and your friends do at lunch? Talk about fractions and stuff? Like, 4 over 2 plus 6 over 3 and stuff?"
and I just said, "Actually, those are both improper fractions which are equal to two, so two plus to is four. It's not hard at all." That actually confused him a lot and he didn't have a comeback, but it was a nice geek moment. He's not very bright and I like to remind him of that whenever I get the chance.... he once was talking about riding a car with square wheels...
"The manatee has become the mento." -Tracy Jordan

"Live every week like it's shark week." -Tracy Jordan
^30 Rock is love

280 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 280
Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:54 am
Nutty says...

I once stopped during lunchtime and spent most of it discussing Raymond E Fiest's writing style, and the plot holes in Magician, with my Head of Department: English teacher. (still a good book.)

Another time I was having an argument with my whole science class that Elephants *don't* bury their bones, but merely sniff, feel, and explore them, trying to decide if they know the skeleton. The rest of my class was under the impression that elephant graveyards were just that, where elephants bury dead family members.
Eventually our science teacher got sick of it and looked it up, confirming what I had been explaining.
Shame, class. Lol.
It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:04 am
thunder_dude7 says...

Oh, I have a good one.

One time, my English class was debating what the difference was between "affect" and "effect". The next day, I came in with a one page paper explaining it, complete with examples.

The next day...

Mrs. Alexander: Everybody, I have decided that, because of *thunder_dude's* excellent explanation of the difference between "affect" and "effect", we will be having a new unit on commonly confused words!

*insert angry glares here*

The class needed that unit. People are still mixing up "their", "there", and "they're", plus "it's" and "its".

It's crazy.

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:57 am
tinny says...

Thunder_dude, it's not as bad as my old English Language class. Eighteen year-old students that didn't know there was a difference between borrow and lend ("But you just borrow a pen, or borrow someone a pen!"). They were also quite surprised that there are three different types of to, and two different types of there.

I think my face just went D:
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:28 am
niteowl says...

Wow, little tin fish, just...wow.

Anyway, I've had several geek moments in my lifetime. The most recent was in Physics, when my professor played a clip from Frame of Reference a fun black and white movie we watched in high school physics. I got perhaps a little too excited.

My favorite would have to be when we were reviewing for our AP World History exam and some kids said the Yuan dynasty came before the Tang and Sung. I thought the teacher would correct them, but she didn't. So I did the honors. Later on said exam, after I finished and was bored, I wrote a mnemonic device for my teacher to read.

Stupid (Shang)
Zebras (Zhou)
Want (Warring States Period)
Quickly (Qin)
Homemade (Han)
Tortillas (Tang)
So (Song)
You (Yuan)
Make (Ming)
Quesadillas (Qing)

Yes, isn't it awesome?

Also, I correct my friend's spelling and grammar while chatting online. I'm horrible.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:23 pm
StellaThomas says...

lol, niteowl, I wouldn't worry. Actually, me and my friends, in fact, every girl in my year, don't like texts with how r u and 2 and 4 in them. Our policy is is that if you're going to text, you can at least spell properly :). Same with MSN etc.

thunder_dude... we learnt that in Third Class... and even then most of us knew it... (Third Class = um... eight, nine year olds?)

Oh here's one, in Irish class (all speaking done in Irish...)

"*Stella*, why don't you read in Irish? I know you love reading in English, why not Irish?"

"Because um... sir... I don't have the time to read."

"Then what's that you're reading under the table?" (which I wasn't, I didn't even have it under the table, I was trying to find my place because my bookmark fell out.)

"Uh... it's a Jane Austen, that's totally different."

But actually, my friends and I can all be completely geeky at times -even the cool kid clique-y ones, so it's alright...
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

216 Reviews

Reviews: 216
Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:41 am
asxz says...

Ha ha, my geeky moment was when I started reading my older brothers year 13 science book, when I was only a year 9 ;)
My friends came over one day, and they listed all of the reasons that it was wrong. (oh, and I am currently counting down to when NZ's school starts, (a whole 7 days will you believe it or not))
And once I formed a whole science lesson because I kept on asking my teacher all of these random questions, he showed us a clip on how electrons give out light, and everyone groaned because it was the last day of school for the year. I was fascinated though!
::XoX::KeepWriting::XoX::

GENERATION 29: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Writing is 3% talent and 97% not being distracted by the internet

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:48 am
Rosendorn says...

Ha ha! These are great!

I was walking through a craft fair last November, and my mom and I came upon a wildlife photographer. I then begin to identify a good chunk of the animals he's taken pictures of, and get into a discussion about the subspecies of some of those animals!

Both he and his assistant asked me if I wanted to become a zoologiest.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:48 am
thunder_dude7 says...

Oh, another one. A friend of mine uses chat speak when he IMs me. I made up a name for the eye pain I get when I read it - AWD: Averatic Writer's Disorder.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:34 pm
Rosendorn says...

Another one!

I was watching an ad for chocolate who's slogan is: Could there be a more divine creation?

Thing is, in their add, they used Greek gods. Chocolate was indeed the food of the gods, but in Central/South America! The Greeks didn't even have chocolate.

I spent ten minutes pointing out the inaccuracy to my parents.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:41 pm
Linx says...

Another one of my geek moments. It was in the middle of Sunday School.

"So what happens on Friday?" my dad asked.

"July the fourth!!" Everyone but me yells.

"And why do we celebrate the fourth of July?"

"Because it was the day the Constitution was signed!"

"Exactly," my dad said.

"Exactly not," I spoke up. "First off, it was the Declaration of Independence they signed. Two, they didn't sign it on the fourth."

We ended up arguing the whole time, and I looked it up when I got home. I showed it to him.

"You were right," he said

Duh....
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." ~ Lao-tzu

Attack, IM, or PM me at any time. I will respond. ;)

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:25 pm
Writing for love is a pas says...

My geekiest moment was when I was straightening my hair, I wondered if Iburned myself, could my skin bubble? So I actually burnt myself on purpose and showed my science teacher and she asked if I needed some serious help. I said more than you think!!
No where to run...baby let's hide. Take her in your arms on a chilling winter's night. Watch the stars twinkle and glisten. Know that you've found the one person that will listen. ~*(ME)*~

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:50 pm
Face Engine says...

Mars wrote:
Face Engine wrote:My geekiest moment ever was when I claimed that the exterior of a wheel rotating on the spot would move faster than the interior.

Did you tell them that it's just because the exterior has to move more distance in the same amount of time? It doesn't even need mathematics.

Yeah, I tried that too. Most of them just said that the all parts of the wheel move at the same time (by this time they had stopped getting distance mixed up with speed, so they no longer believed that the outside would move faster than the inside), because the wheel is a single object. I tried explaining it in terms of atoms, but that didn't work either, they were still convinced that a particle on the edge of a rotating circle would move at the same speed as a particle nearer the centre.
I refuse to acknowledge the existence of this signature.

What orators lack in depth they make up for in length.
— Charles de Secondat, Baron de Montesquieu