z

Young Writers Society

YWS Big Birthday Contest: First Place

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:08 pm
Nate says...

The YWS Big Birthday Contest was to write a personal essay no longer than 500 words. The form the essay took was entirely up to the author; it could be a story, a haiku, or an actual essay. First place got a $75 gift certificate to Amazon, second place got a $50 gift certificate to Amazon, and third place got a $25 gift certificate to Amazon.

First Place Winner: springrain2693 for I Live A Boring Life...

I live a boring life. It's as uninteresting as watching grass grow on a sunny day when there's plenty more to be done. Defining the best thing that has happened to me is even harder. I've never really thought hard about what the best thing that has happened to me is, but when asked, I would usually give a simple, shallow answer. An answer as shallow as the guilty pleasures of life that I enjoy, or a small one day event that's as pointless as an unsharpened pencil. The best thing that has happened to me in life would have to be this.

In August 2003, a stray little kitty wandered across our porch. Scrawny and hungry he was, but too scared to look at a human, he bolted away into the distance before we could do anything for him.

The next morning, drawn by the scent of breakfast cooking, he fell asleep on one of our porch chairs. We quietly opened the sliding door and set out some fresh water, milk, and cat food for him. His sensitive ears picked up the sound of course, and he woke up and dashed beneath the rosebushes. He couldn't stay under there forever, so he soon ventured back onto the porch and devoured the food. We took a liking to him, and to our parents' disapproval, we decided to keep and name him.

So, Fahmi it was.

For months, the cat wouldn't trust us to come near him, but every morning and every evening we fed him. When winter drew near, we made him a cardboard box house, and set it on the porch for him. He checked it out, and seemed to approve and then he slept in there every night. Whenever the porch doors were opened, he would seek refuge under the rosebush, until one day he stayed put.

I walked over to him and touched his head, and he leapt up and ran off with a hiss. Over the next weeks, I kept doing this to him, until he would hiss at me without running off. One day, determined to stroke his fur, I marched outside and picked him up without hesitation. He squirmed in my arms, but didn't attack. Triumphantly, I carried him right inside of the house, not even caring that my parents would scold me for bringing the "animal" inside. To me, it meant everything although it was only a morsel of progress. After that, I was entirely determined to train the cat. I tempted him with tuna and various other treats the cat would enjoy, and he began to make slow, but steady progress.

In a lot of ways, it was the best thing I could ask for. I can't put to words how happy it made me to be able to put my heart into something, and have the fruit of it visible for everyone to see. Everyone thought the cat would die, and that he would forever be feral. But I decided otherwise.

1464 Reviews

Reviews: 1464
Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:36 pm
Juniper says...

I am speechless. I really do not know what to say. This is completely unexpected!

Thank you!
"I'd steal somebody's purse if I could google it and then download it." -- Firestarter

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:37 pm
Stori says...

That is awesome. Hope you spend the money well, June.

896 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 896
Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:39 pm
PenguinAttack says...

Congratulations, Juniper!

*Hearts* Le Penguin.
I like you as an enemy, but I love you as a friend.

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:55 pm
CastlesInTheSky says...

Juniper! I have already congratulated you over the wonders of IM, but I will say it again: Well Done! :D *salutes* You thoroughly deserve it, this was such a touching, honest piece.
Have fun spending the money.

-Sarah
Had I the heavens embroider'd cloths,
I would spread the cloths under your feet.
But I being poor, have only my dreams,
So tread softly, for you tread on my life.

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:13 pm
Caligula's Launderette says...

Congrats, honey. You deserve it.

Cal.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:50 pm
Todge says...

congratulations

do these forums do competitions like this often?

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:04 am
Sam says...

This is so adorable! Congratulations, girl. ^_^ As it has been said before--you definitely deserve it.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:19 am
Bittersweet says...

Awwwe, June! *feels all warm and fuzzy inside* You are so adorable! And I'm so happy for you! :D

-Holly
eviscerate your fragile frame
spill it out in ragged form
a thousand different versions of yourself.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:23 am
Rydia says...

Well done, June! Such a sweet, touching story!
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:38 am
Nate says...

Todge wrote:congratulations

do these forums do competitions like this often?

This is the biggest one we've done yet, but we usually have contests with prizes every two months. Since we usually only have 20 people enter, you have a decent chance as long as the grammar is good. Of course, even with only 20 entering, you can see that the top 3 are truly excellent in quality; so it's still hard to win.

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:20 am
alwaysawriter says...

Congrats June!!! :D
Meshugenah says to (18:12:36):
Kat's my new favorite. other than Sachi.

WWJD: What Would Jabber Do?

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:37 pm
Demeter says...

Wow! Awesome! Wow!

Congries!
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

I didn't know beards could do that ;)
— ShadowVyper