Young Writers Society

A Message to All You Fat Girls!

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:24 am
Snoink says...

I was browsing MySpace the other day, and I saw this as I was updating:

I'm talking about the ad, of course. And that sort of stuff just KILLS me because the picture is totally unrealistic. If you were that thin, you would be starving yourself. By starving, I mean that your hair would be falling out, your brain wouldn't be able to think correctly on simple things, and every moment of your day, you are thinking about food constantly, since your body craves it since, if you were that thin, you would have to starve yourself. Also, your skin wouldn't look so sleek... it would have ribs jaunted out and you would look very skeletal. What they did for this ad was they completely photoshopped it so that the colors would look right. In real life, this would not be the case.

And I hate how they shove that crap at your face. When I first saw the ad, I felt bad because of its message and I, being just as susceptible to the media as any one of you, wondered whether I was one of the fat girls... and it's just ridiculous. And I'm supposed to be a reasonably mature adult! I'd hate to know what would have happened if I were most of your girls' ages. That would be tough.

The point is, the media and the advertisers shove this crap in front of our faces everyday in an effort to make demoralize us and to make us feel like we are unworthy or fat or ugly or whatever so they can sell us something, and you know what? This is wrong. This is horribly wrong. And I'm sorry that you have to put up with it and I'm sorry I have to put up with it, but I guess that's the way it goes. But remember... if you ever look at those ads and think, "Oh my God, am I really beautiful?" then I just want you to remember that you're not alone. For these advertisers, it is their business to make you feel horrible, because they want you to buy the latest thing and make you feel desperate enough to buy their products. And I just want you to know that, no matter what crap you come across and no matter what self-hating thoughts come into your minds, you girls are some of the loveliest people I've met. So just hold your chin up and keep smiling. You'll get through this, promise.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:33 am
Inksplatter says...

Amen!
People should take 'fat' people as they are, and if the 'fat' people go as far to starve themselves, then they are just as bad as those superficial popstars.
The shape of a woman, or a man for that matter is not a relfection of that person and their characteristics.
Just like that saying;
'Don't judge a book buy its cover'

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:00 am
Snoink says...

Inksplatter wrote:Amen!
People should take 'fat' people as they are, and if the 'fat' people go as far to starve themselves, then they are just as bad as those superficial popstars.

Haha, I wouldn't go that far. Some of my best friends were anorexic and bulimia, and they definitely weren't bad people. They were just... sidetracked on something that wasn't as important as they were, if that makes sense? So they're really lovely people, but they got lost and forgot what they loved, until it got so bad that they forgot how to love themselves. If that makes ANY sense. ^^
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:03 am
Teague says...

Oh god. That's sick.

No wonder most fourth grade girls have been on a fad diet.

Oy.

Teague
x
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:17 am
LowKey says...

Thought it was a joke at first. It's not possible to look like that unless, you know, you're in this kid's situation, and even then, still not possible. It's so obviously fake that it couldn't possibly be real. Unless you see the leptoprin and Jenny Craig and other such ads being blasted out the TV every break. There are even a few "Lose Weight Fast!" ads on here, but none are nearly so bad as that. At least the ones on here are a bit more realistic.

Just... It's almost gross, how skinny that person is in the ad. How could any guy stand to wrap their arms around someone who's little more than skin-wrapped bones and call the sexy for being so skinny? Going off evolution, we are attracted to people who look healthy. That means clear skin and slim build, if not slightly muscular. It doesn't mean starving. That's a few steps too far in one direction. It's terrible that this is what's blasted out to the world, as if it weren't only possible, it was favorable. Need more of those "Talk to your daughter before the beauty industry does" commercials. Those things packed a punch first time seen.

EDIT: http://www.10ad.org/dove-tell-you-to-ta ... stry-does/
Necropolis SB / Necropolis DT

Once was Dreamer, is now LowKey_Lyesmith.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

558 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 558
Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:36 pm
Matt Bellamy says...

That picture is...disgusting. I much prefer my belly as it is, even if it does stick out a bit.
Matt.

Got Tumblr? Me too! http://www.writersam.co.uk

Peeking Cat Poetry Magazine is accepting submissions! http://peekingcatpoetrymagazine.blogspot.co.uk

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:52 pm
Sureal says...

I don't think I've ever seen someone that skinny before.

Where do her internal organs go?
I wrote the above just for you.

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:01 pm
savetheoceans says...

Actually, that ad looks like it could've been photoshopped a bit. Someone that skinny would have more bone showing through her skin.

But besides that, I agree that girls, or even guys, should not occupy themselves so much over being skinny. I mean, you should aim to be a good weight, but nothing unhealthy like the person on that that ad.

I can't imagine anyone finding that attractive. Imagine trying to hug that person, it probably feels so awkward and stiff...eh..
"Destiny is not a matter of change, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."
- William Jennings Bryan

Random avatar

Reviews: 115
Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:16 pm
andimlovegalore says...

I can talk about this =] haha. I've had an eating disorder or some sort of level for about 3 or 4 years now. I guess it's kind of strange to even say this here, but the internet is shiny and anonymous.

It is bizarre how images of ideal women are just becoming thinner and thinner (although most men don't like that anyway, not exactly.) It's sad, and I am effected by it just the same, I'm an intelligent person, I know being that thin is bad and wrong, but there is still a big part of my mindset that says: oh yeah, go on, why not, you could do that if you wanted. Sometimes, I find the only way to stop myself from thinking that way is to literally never go out, to never watch TV, never go on any internet sites that will show me these sorts of images - I just have to sleep all day or read a book I know, or something like that.

It is true, to be that thin you would have to be starving, although not necessarily bone sticking out weird skin tone starving, I've known girls as thin as that, some people don't have big ribs. I do >.< if I was thin like that I'd be all ribs. Although to be honest, that pic is probably just a normal person in HUGE pants, shopped to be thinner.

I HATE ads like that though. You get loads of them on facebook, I spend all the time tagging them as offensive haha.

inksplatter wrote:People should take 'fat' people as they are, and if the 'fat' people go as far to starve themselves, then they are just as bad as those superficial popstars.

I hear LOADS of comments like this and it makes me a bit angry really =[ because it's just not true at all, starving is nothing to do with being superficial, it's about hating yourself and not knowing how to deal with it, or some other complicated reason. There are loads of explanations why people starve themselves to get thinner, but being superficial is not one of them in almost all cases.
Last edited by andimlovegalore on Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:41 pm
View Likes
Sam says...

Over the summer, I was really sick and for a few weeks was surviving on very few (if any) calories a day. If you're considering not eating, you can take it from myself (and andi above me)--being dizzy all the time, at the very least, is no fun. You feel sick and nauseous and when you finally do eat again, it's painful. Your hair falls out, you lose your breasts, and (the worst if you're a shopaholic like me)--absolutely nothing fits or looks good on you. Unless you piled on a ridiculous amount of makeup, bought implants, bought color-changing contact lenses, and dyed your hair, you will look perpetually tired and sick.

Most guys I know would agree that it's better to have a girl who's a little on the heavy side than to have a girl you have to wake up with smelling salts every time she stands up.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

Random avatar

Reviews: 24
Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:51 pm
Bleeding Rose says...

Somebody shout "Amen!"

I hear you all the way through, Snoik. I absolutely hate that they do this and every time that I see an add like this then I am always mumbling to myself, "Geez, get a life, retards." Always. I know that I am not fat, but I am not the thinnest person that you will meet. I am a healthy teen with a butt. I look at these adds and it makes me feel happy, honestly. It makes me happy because I would never want to be so skinny. I am happy with the way I look. These adds are stupid, so I think that this was a good idea to post this on here for the people with less self-confidence. Thanks, Snoik!

Sincerely,

Whispering Rain

Rite 2 meh lyk dis...and I shoot you.~Unknown
I'm the future of America. Be afraid. Be very afraid~Unknown
If you're blonde and you know it clap your hands *Snap* *snap*
If you're reading this...you're finished reading.

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:51 pm
View Likes
Prokaryote says...

That is disgusting. You use MySpace?

Pork

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:04 pm
silverSUNLIGHTx says...

Ew, that is disgusting. I see those kinds of ads all the time on myspace and I like puke every time they come up.
--->Don't forget we've got unfinished business. Stories yet to unfold, tales that must be retold.
-Alex Gaskarth

675 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 675
Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:44 am
lilymoore says...

The skinny effect of the picture is done partially through photoshop and partially through putting her in a pair of pants that are like 4 sizes too big. Its like filling your apartment with really small furniture. Your going to feel very large all of the sudden. A friend of mine refered to the idea as having an Alice in Wonderland effect.
Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.

280 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 280
Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:31 pm
Nutty says...

Good god if I were that skinny my hip bones could cut someone! Heh, I could never be too thin, considering I have wide hips and shoulders and a large head I would look all out of proportion like a Martian hehehe.
I think the media is gross. It doesn't want any of us to be happy- 'fat' people should be 'thin', 'thin' people need These clothes, And the 'fashion Divas' obviously need their lives harassed by creepy people with cameras. It's how they make money.
It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.

Edna began to feel like one who awakens gradually out of a dream, a delicious, grotesque, impossible dream, to feel again the realities pressing into her soul.
— Kate Chopin, The Awakening