z

Young Writers Society

iTunes/mp4/mp3 Question

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:24 pm
Via says...

Just a question for anyone who might know. If I bought a CD off iTunes, and then burned it to a disc, what that disk play in my CD player even though the songs are mp4? And, also, if I took that disc and redownloaded the music from it onto Windows Media Player, would the songs then be mp3? Aka, would I beable to put them onto my mp3 player?

Thanks!
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

1464 Reviews

Reviews: 1464
Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:01 pm
Juniper says...

Well, I tried this before, and mp4 cds DID play but only in my portable CD player... they didn't play in my CD player or my car which was really frustrating... and it was probably just my player, but it skipped a lot more than the other CDs, so I guess it depends on your CD player, but I'm not sure how to see if theres a certain type for each.

The MP3 player I have allows me to play both mp4s and mp3s, but I'm not sure about yours... it wouldn't hurt to try it, because most are mass storage devices, meaning that they can hold any file type and even though it may not recognize it to be able to play it, it will be on there.

But, to avoid most of my frustration, I use this program, which is really good-- and free to download... it's virus free and all, and I downloaded it last year thinking it was a trial, but it hasn't expired yet, so I'm not sure if its a trial or not. If it is a trial, just uninstall when it expires and re-install :D

The program is called Switch; which can be downloaded here
http://www.nch.com.au/switch/

And it's pretty fast too :D. Good luck!
"I'd steal somebody's purse if I could google it and then download it." -- Firestarter

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:29 am
tinny says...

How old is your CD player? If you've bought it pretty recently then I'm not sure why the CDs don't work, but if you got it a while ago it could just be that it can't play MP4 files. I had a really old stereo system that wouldn't even play MP3s.

The ripping and reburning might work, although I guess that depends on if the music is DRM protected or not, and I think with iTunes it is ><;; it might be worth a shot, though.

EDIT: haha okay, I just read your question again and realised it was a what if? >___>

As far as I know, music you buy from iTunes can be burnt onto CD a limited number of times, and the tracks are protected and I don't think that you can rip them onto other computers or devices. The dics might play, the might not, it depends on the age of your CD player.

Your MP3 player might be able to play the files itslef (unless this is the one you were having trouble with before?) my phone doesn't say anywhere that it plays MP4 files, but it can XD

If you can rip the CD with the iTunes music on, then it should convert them to whatever file you set it to, mine all go to WMAs.

Oh god, I hope I made even a little sense #___#
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

To answer before listening—that is folly and shame.
— Proverbs 18:13