Young Writers Society

I can has cheezburger ... and pathos?

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:54 am
Snoink says...

I can has cheezburger ... and pathos?
The lolcats, the Internet's most famous felines, may be hilarious. But in their yearning, I see nothing less than the tragedy of the human condition.

By Jay Dixit

Salon.com

By now, even the most casual observers of the Internet are aware that lolcats have become a certifiable Internet phenomenon. Their flagship site, Icanhascheezburger.com, is one of Web 2.0's big success stories -- on track to top a billion page views this year -- and its content is entirely user-generated. Readers upload over 5,000 homegrown submissions every day, of which six or eight are posted on the site. And in October, the lolcats got their very own coffee table book, "I Can Has Cheezburger," published by Gotham Books.

I love lolcats. I'm not ashamed to admit it. Sure, they've been around for almost two years -- but the site posts fresh new jokes every day, and I'm never disappointed.

But what draws me to the site even more than what's funny is what's sad. My favorite lolcats are not the rapscallions pining for "cheezburgers" or helpfully upgrading your RAM, but rather a brilliant and underappreciated subgenre of sad lolcats -- tragic figures of grief, yearning and unrequited love. But I'll come back to that.

Read more: http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2008/1 ... index.html
Last edited by Snoink on Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:09 am
Clo says...

That is so absolutely hilarious.

I'm one of those people who constantly read lolcats. I actually go to icanhascheezburger.com every day to see the new ones. They're so funny and lighthearted, they just make me feel better when I'm stressed! And he makes a very, very good point.
How am I not myself?

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:51 am
Snoink says...

Psh! *edits and gets more points*
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

"We're just all nosy little busybodies."
— SirenCymbaline the Kiwi