z

Young Writers Society

Ohhh, I knew it. ^^

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:39 pm
Perra says...

You don't always have to make up little worlds. Some people do history fantasy, or modern times fantasy. You can probably make anything a fantasy.

Ugh, languages and names I have some trouble with.

I don't like the flow with the tide thing, either. But I also want a little more respect for them. It seems to me that the stereo type with fantasy is that its a whole lot of fairy tales where the handsome prince saves the princess and what-not.
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:59 pm
iced.cappuchino says...

Iloeri wrote:Yes... well it's easier to come up with ideas for fantasy... but have you tried to invent a language lately? Hard. I'm not saying that fantasy is harder than other forms of writing, I'm just a little annoyed people see it as a... follow the tide thingie, because of all the attention Harry Potter and LotR lately, that they now want to do it too. Sorry if I jumped to conclusions.

True, I concede the point.

And yes, you're right, a lot of people do follow the trend of fantasy writing because of the sudden popularity of LorT and HP (I hadn't thought of that, in my earlier posts xD)

I don't like the flow with the tide thing, either. But I also want a little more respect for them. It seems to me that the stereo type with fantasy is that its a whole lot of fairy tales where the handsome prince saves the princess and what-not.

Yes, that's true, I didn't think of that either.

A lot of people writing fantasy could make it easier for novice ideas, but it could also make it more difficult to create something that hasn't been done before.

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:51 pm
smilyfacebkwrm says...

I actually don't like writing fantasy that much. I'm not sure, why? But I prefer writing realistic fiction, stuff that could actually happen...

But, I'd rather write fantasy then sci-fi (because, like everyone's been saying, it's "safer" and I can make the fantasty stuff *seem* realistic)

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Sun Nov 21, 2004 8:03 pm
Tessitore says...

I like mixing more realistic things with drama. Kind of a... "A Walk to Remember" meets "Interview With The Vampire"... or something like that (I'm only using those two as examples since most people seem to realize what they are). I like to make it so that my characters, my human ones at least, come into the same trials that normal people do, and then I throw a vampire or a werewolf or a druid into the mix, and I have a nice little cocktail.

Especially in my story "The Dark". I had to stop writing it this year (it's an annual thing) because I was having emotional issues in my own life, and then there were the emotional issues in the story, and it was just a little too much.

So, yeah, story writing can be hard on me emotionally, at times, with characters I've known for a while (just making a character and then knocking them off doesn't phase me too much). Especially The Dark. Since that's been around since... oh... I was.... 9? 10?

yeah...
I'm not even angry... I'm being so sincere right now.
Even though you broke my heart.
And killed me... And tore me to pieces.
And threw every piece into a fire.
-"Still Alive"- GLaDOS

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:27 am
Elelel says...

I write fantasy, but I still put my characters through the same trials (well, similar anyway. Ok, basically, deep down, they have the same emotional effect...) that I go through. I put people I know into my story, or how I see them (but not so you'd recognise them... I hope) It works out extremly free, and liberating. There's something really satisfying about pulverising a real life bully in fiction... or showing people how you see the friendless guy who always sits by himself...
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:16 am
iced.cappuchino says...

Tessitore wrote:Kind of a... "A Walk to Remember" meets "Interview With The Vampire"... or something like that

Uhhh, can I say mega scary?

(("A walk to remember" bore me to tears and there is not a book-to-movie adaptation I hate more than "Interview with the Vampire"))

But I am sure your story is mega cool. ^_^

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:15 pm
Tessitore says...

(("A walk to remember" bore me to tears and there is not a book-to-movie adaptation I hate more than "Interview with the Vampire"))

*blinks*... um... thanks?

what I meant was kind of dramatic-and-real-life-ish meets freaky-preturnatural-kreepy-crawlies sort of... thing...

....maybe that wasn't the best example....

on another note, read "On Writing" by Stephen King. Good book. Almost finished, I like it. Has a lot to say on the subject of... writing....

*sighs*

EDIT: Are you sure it was Interview With The Vampire that you were angry at? That was actually a really good adaptation, if I do say so. Now, Queen of the Damned... that was just bullshit. I couldn't believe Anne let it go like that.... pissed me off so bad...

...but I always thought IWTV was a good thing... a pretty thing... with pretty guys... in long hair... *purrs*
I'm not even angry... I'm being so sincere right now.
Even though you broke my heart.
And killed me... And tore me to pieces.
And threw every piece into a fire.
-"Still Alive"- GLaDOS

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:30 am
Nate says...

I gotta say, I've really come around to fantasy as of late. I used to hate the genre, but Game of Thrones is incredible. About to dive into Wheel of Time next since my brother has recommended it.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:33 am
Snoink says...

Weirdly enough, I like mysteries more lately, and don't really like fantasies as of late!
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Poems were like people. Some people you got right off the bat. Some people you just don't get - and never would get.
— Benjamin Alire Saenz, Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe