z

Young Writers Society

Anheuser-Busch reportedly agrees to InBev sale

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:16 am
Emerson says...

I'm not sure how many people follow this story, or even realize it's going on. I'm sure anyone else from St. Louis or from Missouri have heard this story, over and over and over.

ST. LOUIS (AP) — Anheuser-Busch agreed to be acquired by Belgian brewer InBev for about $52 billion in a deal that would shift ownership of the nation's largest brewer overseas, The Wall Street Journal reported Sunday.

The deal, which is subject to shareholders' and regulators' approval, would create the world's largest brewer and create the fourth-largest consumer product company worldwide. The newspaper cited anonymous sources who said Anheuser-Busch-InBev would be the new company's name and Anheuser would have two seats on the board.

Anheuser-Busch Cos. Inc. did not return messages seeking comment Sunday evening.

Read More

As it is, it's assumed that AB has sold to InBev. This is a big deal for me. My father works for AB and he's been sweating daily over where the company will go.

I'm sad if this is the truth. It's nothing about beer, just about American industry. The last "great" American brewery has/is going to be sold to a foreign company. AB is a big part of my life, living in St. Louis. I won't babble things you could find in a news article.

It plain depresses me.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

48 Reviews

Reviews: 48
Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:33 am
Nolan says...

i know what you mean.

being a st. louisan and american myself, i find it a great blow to our nation that one of our largest companies, which is an integral part of american society, will be moving overseas.
"Don't worry about my sanity, dear. After all, it's pointless to worry about something that's nonexistent."

-Nolan Logan

181 Reviews

Reviews: 181
Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:00 pm
Gahks says...

So does that mean AB's theme park assets (i.e. Busch Gardens, SeaWorld etc.) will be included in the deal?
"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." William Faulkner.

Do you do poetry? Check out Poetry Inspiration over in Groups!

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:17 pm
View Likes
Emerson says...

From what my father has told me, and I would believe it is the truth since he hears most of the inside details before the media does, the theme parks were part of the deal - but not the way you would think. The Busch family is keeping them, but they won't be "Anheuser Busch" property, if I've understand what he's told me. They're still doing deals, and even though the sale is final, there hasn't been too much word on what exactly is and isn't part of Anheuser Busch now. My dad doesn't think any real changes will be visible until the end of this year, because of how long it will take them to close the deal with all of the little things.

I hope that made sense. Hah.

It's still really depressing. A political cartoon in a local newspaper said it great. Brito (the man who owns InBev) was trying to calm down AB employees - and no one trusts him.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Today is your day. You’re off to Great Places, you’re off and away!
— Dr. Seuss