z

Young Writers Society

Does the Olympic Stadium in Beijing really look like this?

Do you like the 2008 Olympics stadium?

Yes
63%
No
38%

Total votes : 32

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:15 am
Nate says...

I mean, are they serious? Couldn't they have come up with some unique design that embodies Chinese culture rather than some pile of modernity junk?
Attachments
846090188_7c04670cff.jpg
846090188_7c04670cff.jpg (90.88 KiB) Viewed 1082 times

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:38 am
Alteran says...

It is rather unpleasant looking to be honest. Like an odd little spider web...made by a lazy spider.
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:52 am
Teague says...

It's "abstract."

*snort*

-:pirate3:
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:42 am
Incandescence says...

Well, I think the design idea behind it was probably to create sort of a "quilt," or a "network" (a spiderweb works too) to show how the world is connected through the Olympics in particular and sports in general...

Maybe it wasn't though.
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:46 am
Griffinkeeper says...

It looks like it is held together by duct tape.

Which, let's face it, is what holds the world together anyways.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:03 pm
yoha_ahoy says...

It's actually a huge advance in architecture. I mean, how would you like to be the guy that had to do all the math on those angles and how to put that together in the right order? Also to get that organic kind of "swooping" shape (look at the outline of the stadium if it were solid) out of all those geometric lines is really mind blowing. Seriously, it takes some kind of artistic genius to think of that and another architectural genius to actually make it real.

So I can see how you may not like how it looks, but you've at least gotta appreciate the genius behind that. As far as some design with Chinese culture, to me, I'd be sick of being exploited as a culture just because my roofs had those cool curly corners and dragons everywhere. Plus I think the choice of going modern and new was smart, because it's a symbol of China trying to move forward. All the olympic stadiums are built on what used to be one of the worse slums. It's progress. Let 'em have it.

And I did vote 'yes.' And yes, I have watched a special on the construction of the Olympic stadiums. There's other nifty designs I think too. It's been a while though. I'll look those up. Haha.

~Yoyo 8)

EDIT: Here's links to the other Olympic Stadiums in Beijing.

The "Water Cube" for swimming events.

A CGI rendering of the Water Cube and the "Bird's Nest" as they call it.

EDIT II: The same designer did the Munich Stadium. Search "allianz arena" in Google Images and you can see a bunch of different views of how it lights up. Same with the Water Cube, actually. There was one pic of it where it was a sort of rainbow kaleidoscope. Anyways... I'm done adding links. :P
@(^_^)@
Got YWS?

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:34 pm
Perra says...

I think Olympic stadiums should be a symbol all the countries and cultures of the world coming together and not be an embodiment or grand show of the host's culture (with the possible exception of Greece, because they started it). That being said, China's stadium does look awkward and too iron-y for me. The Water Cube, however, is made of awesome! :D

Edit: So, it's called the "Bird's Nest". Pretty cool, if you ask me. I do like it's profile; the rest is sort of growing on me...
Last edited by Perra on Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:47 pm
Sureal says...

I think it actually looks pretty purdy. :)
I wrote the above just for you.

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:11 pm
Manny says...

Who cares what the stadium looks like? Isn't it all about the Olympics?

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:27 pm
Rei says...

Incandescence wrote:Well, I think the design idea behind it was probably to create sort of a "quilt," or a "network" (a spiderweb works too) to show how the world is connected through the Olympics in particular and sports in general...

Maybe it wasn't though.

I hope you're right. It's still weird.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:42 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

Bird's Nest: Pretty darn cool.

Water Cube: PURE AWESOMENESS!!!!111one

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:46 pm
Cade says...

The shape is cool, but there are too many lines for my taste. Too busy.
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:56 pm
Dream Deep says...

The image of the stadium brought to mind a pleasant little tableau: someone bakes a cake for the family picnic, decks it out with all sorts of pretty little flourishes, and sets it on the car seat while she runs off to fetch the kids. Three hours and the chastisement of three tantrum-throwing kids later, she returns to the car... only, in her stress, forgetting all about the cake and proceeding to sit down on the box.

And that, folks, is what we have here. A great, Olympic, squashed cake of a stadium. ^_^

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:30 am
gyrfalcon says...

:D I like it. It looks...graceful. Then again, that may be due to the distance, but still. I like.
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:03 am
Lynlyn says...

Yeah, I actually think it looks really cool. The Water Cube or whatever looks fantastic, though - that looks like a rendering out of a video game or something. Very, very snazzy.
"Better keep yourself clean and bright; you are the window through which you must see the world." - G. B. Shaw
Lynlyn's Magical Critique Emporium - request a review here.

But there was no goat man, there was NEVER any goat man!
— OSP Red