z

Young Writers Society

First they came for the YouTubers...

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:27 am
deleted6 says...

OH MY GOD! This is horrible... this is pure attack on human rights, this isn't just America this is the world. We're losing any privacy we have on there. No judge should be allowed to rule this. That's why we choose to have a screen name. To remain private. We post videos, and comment. But this isn't about Viacom it's about controlling the net. *screams expletives!*

By Ryan Singel
Google will have to turn over every record of every video watched by YouTube users, including users' names and IP addresses, to Viacom, which is suing Google for allowing clips of its copyright videos to appear on YouTube, a judge ruled Wednesday.

Viacom wants the data to prove that infringing material is more popular than user-created videos, which could be used to increase Google's liability if it is found guilty of contributory infringement.

Viacom filed suit against Google in March 2007, seeking more than $1 billion in damages for allowing users to upload clips of Viacom's copyright material. Google argues that the law provides a safe harbor for online services so long as they comply with copyright takedown requests.

More here

We can't allow this. We simply can't allow a world wide decision like this to be made by one little judge who caves into Viacom a dead company basically. Viacom are demanding too much and getting too greedy this is complete and utter infridgement of human rights!
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

Random avatar

Reviews: 115
Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:55 pm
andimlovegalore says...

I think it's impossible for them to hand over ALL of that information - it's just too much. There are millions and millions of videos on youtube. Viacom are fighting a losing battle.

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:05 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

Good thing I used a fake name on my account :shock:

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:18 pm
Doctor Kitty says...

Unless you use a proxy every time you visit youtube, I don't see how that would help you much.

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:36 pm
Dr. Jamie Bondage says...

It would just apply to users though, correct? Not people who just watched something on there once? Just curious..

But, I agree. It's an invasion of privacy. Why would any stupid judge agree to that?! I mean, seriously! Who knows what could happen to that information?! That's horrible! And it's a site that people trusted! Imagine if someone demanded of Nate to hand over all our account info. how terrible would that be?

I don't like this...But then again, there are a lot of users. How can they hand over all the millions of people and shift through them? It's ludicracy for them to think that they would win this battle. But, that's my oppinion.

Jamie

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:35 pm
Whatsarahsaid says...

there are too many, they are fighting a losing battle. but its scary to think how little privacy we all have, but then again surely it does help in a positive way, helping to catch pedophiles and so on? all this spying? just a thought.
Alice♥
"stay up all night with the stars."

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:44 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

New comment:

Wait...so they want to prove that copyright infringing amterial is more popular than original videos? Why on earth would that require every single youtube user's name and IP adress? Couldn't they just compare views?

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:41 am
deleted6 says...

thunder_dude7 wrote:New comment:

Wait...so they want to prove that copyright infringing amterial is more popular than original videos? Why on earth would that require every single youtube user's name and IP adress? Couldn't they just compare views?

For once Thunder, you and me are in agreement :/. IP's aren't needed to find this.
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:59 pm
Emerson says...

Not only do they want to prove that copyright material is more popular, they want to find it and remove it from the site. To do this, you would need to see the members who viewed said copyright material to find it, and find the users who posted it. I'm not sure if a penalty (such as account removal) will be put in place for posting copyrighted material, as this would require some work through Google/YouTube.

Maybe I'm just not big on "OMG they're taking away my identity!" scandals, but I don't really care at all.

I know people would stand up for the writer's who weren't getting their pay for online content and DVD distributions, or bands who are being cheated through P2P music sharing systems, so why is this any different? The producers, companies, actors, etc are not getting their pay and are illegally having their work put on the internet. It's a big deal these days - like Napster big.
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:12 pm
Nate says...

I don't blame everyone for overreacting or being angry about this; this story has been badly handled by those who picked it up. Yet, the mainstream media, which would be expected to do some sort of "expert" analysis, never did pick it up.

What many bloggers think is that this court decision gives Viacom unlimited access to your information on Youtube. That isn't true.

This is a court order compelling Google to hand over some user information for the purposes of discovery. The Judge ruled that Viacom needed access to this information in order to prove whether or not Youtube is rife with piracy. Viacom will need to destroy this information after it is done with it, and cannot use it for any other purpose besides showing that piracy is a problem on Youtube. If it uses it for any other purpose, serious fines and jail time could be imposed.

So it's really not as bad as it first appears (don't trust everything you read on the Internet), and it's definitely not an infringement on human rights. The information is being used for the purposes of discovery only.

Plus, many forget the appeals system. Google can, if it chooses, to appeal this court order to the 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals.

In any case, I disagree with the Judge as well, but unfortunately, Google shot itself in the foot on this one. The company said that IP addresses and login IDs are not personally identifiable information. So the Judge basically asked, "Alright, so if you're acknowledging there is no privacy concern here, then why should I not allow Viacom to have access to it?" to which Google had no answer.

But, as the information can be used for purposes of discovery only and cannot be used for anything besides proving piracy is rife, it's not as bad as some are making it out to be. The information is being used just for one ongoing court case between Viacom and Google.
Last edited by Nate on Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

185 Reviews

Reviews: 185
Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:17 pm
View Likes
piepiemann22 says...

Nate, you just made a friend of mine feel a lot better. He's in Italics.

Thanks a lot man, that is so a weight off of my shoulders. I'm glad someone does their research.

The world is a complicated place.
I will always fight back, no matter what.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:41 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Nate: Admin extraordinaire and aspiring law student!

Pure awesomeness.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

63 Reviews

Reviews: 63
Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:02 am
romance otaku says...

i think that this ruling is half fair. they should not give ips and profile info, but make viacom find its own content (like Dattebayo and many others had to) and report it

134 Reviews

Reviews: 134
Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:12 pm
aestar101 says...

Not fair. I don't my IP number plastered for everyone to see. CORRUPTION! Is it that for people who sign up or poeple who just watch the videos?
Character is what you have left when you've lost everything you can lose. - Evan Esar
Like my opinions a lot? Let me critique you. topic29146.html

63 Reviews

Reviews: 63
Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:35 pm
romance otaku says...

it already is. if i wanted to know your ip, its very easy. and, nate has access to all our ips 8)

isnt it fun using ips on google maps?
~Did I help you? If so, please take a second to sign my website's guestbook at http://joeduncko.com/guestbook/. When it gets 100 signs, I plan to release my newest short story! Thanks!

Forever is composed of nows.
— Emily Dickenson