Other (Please specify)
24%

Total votes : 50

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:34 am
View Likes
hawk says...

I heard about the Motorcycle Diaries, (I think I read about it in a newspaper, on a plane last year) about Che Guevara and his revolutionary ideas and schemes, but never got around to seeing it. I didn't know it won an Oscar, I didn't even know if it was a good film or not, so I'll have to see it. (I'm expecting it to be sad.)

Spirited Away is also a pretty damn good film, but very Western, despite its obvious Japanese theme. Generally, it was just an exceptional animated film, but not much more.

Has anyone seen Hero, by Yimou Zhang? Absolutely brilliant cinematography and choreography, the martial arts were incredible, despite some slightly unrealistic aspects (eg. flying) But what did you expect, the same guy directed Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.
"Meanwhile everyone wants to breathe and nobody can; and many say, 'We will breathe later.' And most of them don’t die because they are already dead." -- Graffiti of the events of May, Paris '68

418 Reviews

Reviews: 418
Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:14 pm
View Likes
electricbluemonkey says...

Motorcycle Diaries is very good. You should see it, actually, everyone here should see it. Its great.

I was going to see Hero but, I dont remember why, I didnt. It looked cool, I'll have to pick it up at Blockbuster or something.
Gotta a find a woman be good to me,
Who won't hide my liquor, try to serve me tea.

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:58 pm
Rei says...

I would have to say that my favourite genre is fantasy. It's rare that I like anything that is too real. One of the thing I like about fantasy is that it can include every other genre. A lot of fantasy films have romance, comedy, action, and they usually have drama in them. They can also be mysteries. A lot of horror films are a very specific kind of fantasy.

My favourite filmmakers are Jim Henson and George Lucas. I love everything they (or Brian Henson) have every worked on. It's sad that Jim Henson died when I was still very young. He could still be making movies were he still alive. Anyway, both he and George have fantastic imaginations, and never let what was popular in holywood limit themselves. One of their best films (which George, Brian and Jim worked on) is Labyrinth. One of the things Jim said about that film was that one of his intentions was to create a movie that would make a difference in your life. That is certainly true for me.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:01 pm
dreaming_mouse says...

I love musicals! I know every song from Moulin Rouge, Chicago and Labyrinth even though that's not really a musical, it still rocks though. I love classic Disney films like Aladdin and The Little Mermaid, and the fantasy genre, but most of all musicals. I love musicals so much my media coursework is one. It's hard T_T

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:06 pm
Areida says...

Labryinth? Oh my gosh, that is the most retardedly hilarious movie in the universe!! "The Bog of Eternal Stench"....LOL...it's awesome...

I chose other because I could never choose just one...it depends a lot on my mood...

For example, some of my favourites are:

Braveheart
Patriot
Elf
Pirates of the Caribbean
7 Brides for 7 Brothers
Singin' In the Rain
Stargate
Gladiator

Well..okay...maybe I should have gone with drama...whateva.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:10 pm
dreaming_mouse says...

Labryinth? Oh my gosh, that is the most retardedly hilarious movie in the universe!! "The Bog of Eternal Stench"....LOL...it's awesome...

It's aimed at kiddies that why there's the dumb jokes :P I just like it because of the songs...and because David Bowie is just plain hawt in that film lol.

685 Reviews

Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:21 pm
Rei says...

Actually Labyrinth isn't a kiddie movie. If you really watched it and decoded all the symbols and paid attention to the words in the songs, you would find very adult layers to it. Certainly it's great for children, but it's not just for children. It's one of those movies about a young person but it's really just for kids. The reason for the style of humour is because of who the screenwriter is, not because he was writing for a particular age-group.
(BTW, I didn't really sit down with the intention of analyzing the movie. It's just stuff I picked up on over the years.)

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:37 pm
Nai says...

arieda!!

Braveheart, The Patriot, Gladiator... !!!!

I love all those movies but Gladiator is my absolute favorite movie.
ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:54 pm
Elizabeth says...

I like action and horror movies, the Shining was good but my favorite are romance.
Especially those ones in Chinese. Like...
Forever and Ever, a movie about a guy with hemophilia (your blod can't clot up so you continue to bleed and bleed) who had an HIV infected blood transfusion. He was a writer.... such a great one they say, he had a friends in the hospital and it was sad when they .... died. He had a crush on this girl who kept pushing him away but in a fun playful way... And he had a little brother who didn't understand why his brother had his own cup and couln't touch him (was weird, when his brother hugged him he put a towel around his brother). It keeps flashing back to the present and past but you can get it. And it had captions.
It was so sad
Of course they check nowaday for HIV in blood but the movie was in 1993 so like I don't know if they did it then.

I like a lot of Comedy movies too but nothing beats a good old sad, romantic chinese movie.... seeing as to I am chinese...

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:01 pm
Areida says...

Aniar wrote:arieda!!

Braveheart, The Patriot, Gladiator... !!!!

I love all those movies but Gladiator is my absolute favorite movie.

Are they not the most awesome? Gladiator is incredible...plus I'm obsessed with Rome, so that might have something to do with it...actually, I love history overall...probably why I do Civil War reenacting, huh? LOL..
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

685 Reviews

Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:03 pm
Rei says...

Oh yeah. I rmemeber that movie. It was so nice, but so sad. We get a Chinese movie on one of the local channels every week. Seems they're pretty big on romance. I once watched on called Love or Zen. SOmething like that, anyway. The whole story gets resolved at a Bhuddist temple.

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:06 pm
Elizabeth says...

i broke out in tears after they were throwing confetti at the guy because it was so beautiful....

lucky, But of course there is a large chinese population in canada, and I've been to toronto and vancouver and pretty much seen nothing BUT chinese people... of course it could have been in certian areas....

I also like Miss Ten, and Double Fatness and Splitting Heirs because they have one thng in common.... LYDIA SUM!!

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:07 pm
Writersdomain says...

Eh, I liked mixtures of fantasy, drama, action/adventure, but I especially love medieval movies. I think it's so cool how they portray the knights charging down the hill with that awesome music... it just plain rocks
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

129 Reviews

Reviews: 129
Mon May 09, 2005 11:16 pm
Mattie says...

Horror!

685 Reviews

Tue May 10, 2005 10:21 pm
Rei says...

Anime!

The only way of knowing a person is to love them without hope.
— Walter Benjamin