Young Writers Society

Music Tastes

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:10 pm
Firestarter says...

What sorta music is everyone into?

Personally I enjoy indie/rock sorta things mostly. My favourite bands include Ash, Feeder, Franz Ferdinand, The Libertines - all British if you Yanks have no idea who they are. Though Greenday are great, they're American, I'll give you that. The Killers are good too.

So what about everyone else?
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:22 pm
Nate says...

Right now, I listen to mostly country music and classical. I use to listen to punk, but it just annoys me now. But, my favorite music is all from the early and mid '90s.

As for bands, Nirvana, Collective Soul, and the Beatles are probably my favorites.

418 Reviews

Reviews: 418
Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:19 am
electricbluemonkey says...

My fav bands are mostly rock/punk/metal kinds. Greenday (Yes they are reall good!!!!!!), PearJam, KISS, Jack Johnson (a local San Diego band), The Who and Linking Park...maybe also Chumba Wumba and System of a Down...

I kind of like raggae too. Bob Marley and Perfect Circle are my favorites.
Gotta a find a woman be good to me,
Who won't hide my liquor, try to serve me tea.

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:22 am
Tessitore says...

DRESDEN DOLLS!

Erm... and... (this is a big list)

A Perfect Circle
Alanis Morissette
Avril Lavigne
Britney Spears (rarely)
Chumbawamba
Bach
Mozart
Puccini
Andrew Lloyd Webber
Chopin
Cold
Coldplay
David Bowie
Dead Kennedys (Only with Jello, thanks)
Dido
Elton John
Eve 6
Everclear
Goblin
Godsmack
GWAR
Jewel
Kid Rock
Korn
Leonard Cohen
Loreena McKennit
Marilyn Manson
Maroon 5
Mercyful Fate
Modest Mouse
Peaches
Placebo
Primus
Queen
Beastie Boys
Lil' John
Eminem
Stabbing Westward (Five stars on the "writing music" catergory)
Sting
System of a Down
Tears for Fears
Beach Boys
Billy Nayer Show
Butthole Surfers
Dresden Dolls
The Postal Service
The Smiths
White Stripes
They Might Be Giants
Toad the Wet Sprocket
Tool
Train
Vanessa Carlton
Weird Al
Yeah Yeah Yeahs

And that's all the main folders in my music on my hard drive. Yay? Yeah, I'm obsessed. My playlist has 153 songs and plays for ten hours and thirty-three minutes. Woot.
I'm not even angry... I'm being so sincere right now.
Even though you broke my heart.
And killed me... And tore me to pieces.
And threw every piece into a fire.
-"Still Alive"- GLaDOS

418 Reviews

Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:56 pm

WOW! And I forgot to say Weird Al Yancovic and The White Stripes...and Queen and Aerostmith and Sum41 and Simple Plan and Jimmy Hendrix and blah blah blah...ah, Im rambling arent I...well not as much as Tessitore ( :twisted: )...by the way blah blah blah is NOT a band or anything, it is an expression, for those people who didn't get that (I didnt really make myself clear...)

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:23 pm
Firestarter says...

Tessitore - White Stripes and Maroon 5 from your list are good. I went to a Maroon 5 gig recently, and having not heard their album beforehand I had a really great time and proceeded to enjoy them after that.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

418 Reviews

Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:32 pm

Beastie Boys are good also...

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:36 am
Perra says...

Currently my favorite bands are Yellowcard, Evanescence(who're from Little Rock! :mrgreen:, Switchfoot, and Linken Park. Probably others. Or there are others that I like only a few songs from, such as Maroon 5 and Nickel Back. Beatles are cool. *yawn* I'm tired. If I go on much longer here I might start talking gibberish. I'm already doing a lot more typos than usual...........
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

103 Reviews

Sun Nov 28, 2004 6:03 am
Tessitore says...

I WAS into Evanescence (did I list them? They're on my hard drive, I think... or were) and Linkin Park and all that, but I got bored with them. It's when you can't tell really between one song and the next (plus the Evanescence girl was really bad live) that you know... the band needs to stop. Just stop.

...I hope Evanescence is just a drive-by sort of thing... you have no idea how much her voice annoys me after a while....

Everclear, man, Everclear.
-"Still Alive"- GLaDOS

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:13 am
Crysi says...

Yeah, her voice gets to me too..

Especially because I learned it's a bad thing to listen to their songs when you're depressed. :P

Moving on.. I like classical, soundtracks from movies, Yellowcard, Five Iron Frenzy, Relient K, Holland, Newsboys.. um.. *thinks* That's pretty much everything in my cd rack lol. By the way, the last four are Christian bands, so don't be surprised if you haven't heard of them lol. They're awesome though.. not traditional worship songs, but really wacky, crazy, random songs. Five Iron has a song about losing a comb, and another one about leiderhosen.. How much more random can you get?? :D
Love and Light

103 Reviews

Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:12 pm
Tessitore says...

Oh, I love soundtracks. I forgot to mention those. I only have a few on my hard drive, but I love them all to pieces. I have the soundtracks to: "Interview With The Vampire", "Moulin Rouge", "O Brother Where Art Thou", "Queen of the Damned (hated the movie, love the music)", "Shaun of the Dead", "Shrek" and "Shrek 2", "Triple X", "Underworld". All of them have some song or another that I'm totally head over heels for. The Moulin Rouge soundtrack is perhaps the most listened to. I need the Chicago soundtrack... I keep humming the tunes and not knowing the words and it drives me nuts....

EDIT: OMG, you like Five Iron Frenzy??? They are... so wonderfully random and strange. I have their Live album "Proof That The Youth Are Revolting" but none of the others. Kinda funny walking into a Xian store to look for them... which albums are the best??
-"Still Alive"- GLaDOS

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:17 pm
Perra says...

I like her voice.....

I forgot soundtracks, also! I have the ones for the first two Harry Potter movies, Star Wars Episode II, Pirates of the Carrebean, Spiderman 2, and all three LotR. Think that's it....
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

85 Reviews

Reviews: 85
Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:45 pm
faith says...

hmm...i still like evanescence and linkin park, but i do agree that their songs all sound the same after a while. the evanescence chick has a fantastic voice on her cd but i've seen live cuts from her concerts and she really doesnt sound good live. (cough autopitch cough). linkin park sounds good live cause their music is basically all rapping and angry shouting, ehe.

i like a perfect circle cause their music is mostly mellow but has sort of sinister undertones. three days grace is good if you want to listen to some nice angry music. then there are the classics like nirvana, metallica, and of course the beatles.

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:49 am
Crysi says...

Tessitore wrote:Oh, I love soundtracks. I forgot to mention those. I only have a few on my hard drive, but I love them all to pieces. I have the soundtracks to: "Interview With The Vampire", "Moulin Rouge", "O Brother Where Art Thou", "Queen of the Damned (hated the movie, love the music)", "Shaun of the Dead", "Shrek" and "Shrek 2", "Triple X", "Underworld". All of them have some song or another that I'm totally head over heels for. The Moulin Rouge soundtrack is perhaps the most listened to. I need the Chicago soundtrack... I keep humming the tunes and not knowing the words and it drives me nuts....

EDIT: OMG, you like Five Iron Frenzy??? They are... so wonderfully random and strange. I have their Live album "Proof That The Youth Are Revolting" but none of the others. Kinda funny walking into a Xian store to look for them... which albums are the best??

:D I only have two of their albums, The End is Near and All the Hype That Money Can Buy.

I like The End is Near better, it's sad but good. I went to their last concert in Northern California, and it was hilarious! Reese dressed up as Wolverine.. good times lol.
Love and Light

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:28 am
hawk says...

I'm a fan of Oasis, Jet, and Gun's n' Roses. Three of the best bands, with awesome songwriters, Oasis particually. I like bob Marley too, but reggae just isn't as good as rock. The Stones and Zeppelin are great too, The Doors, The Beatles, pretty much anything that is rock n' roll.

"I think; therefore, I am."
— RenĂ© Descartes