z

Young Writers Society

Who do you admire?

85 Reviews

Reviews: 85
Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:51 am
aeroman says...

I've been asking this question a lot to people lately---Who do you admire and why? I would love to hear responses from everyone. Specific answers of possibly an experience that made you admire them. This is of course a very personal topic, and I would ask that anybody who does post a response to not, by any means, ridicule another's reasons for admiring someone. You can even admire yourself for all I care (it may seem prideful but whatever, we all admire ourselves in one way or another) but whoever you admire (it can be a big or small reason whether because they're funny or they commited some great act of courage), make sure sure to be specific.

I will start...

One of the qualities I admire in any person is the courage to stick up for others under any odds. One of my friends exemplifies this quality. I can remember dozens of times when he has stuck up for me or another of my friends. Whether for our values and morals or anything that he knows that particularly matters to us. It really means a lot to me when I see this happen and I definitely admire him for it.

I hope you guys will continue this topic. I'm interested in seeing what you guys will say.
They haven't invented the missile that can kill an ideal.

Random avatar

Reviews: 335
Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:26 am
Fireweed says...

Cool thread!

Can we do famous dead people?

This may sound cheezy, but I admire people who made a difference in the world without violence. Haha. I'm a hippie. But it's true that you can make an impact on the world without brutally slaughtering people.

Like these people:
Ghandi
Martin Luther King
Susan B. Anthony (and other suffragettes)
Rosa Parks

And other cool people like that. :)
Last edited by Fireweed on Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I myself am composed entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions."- Augusten Burroughs

85 Reviews

Reviews: 85
Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:28 am
aeroman says...

Yeah sure thing! Famous people are always good! There's a lot of good ones on your list, Fire.
They haven't invented the missile that can kill an ideal.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:39 am
Jiggity says...

I was promised Aero's eternal love if I posted so ... I admire, only sometimes mind-- cos the rest of the time she just irritates me-- my mother. She's a very strong character I think and has had an extremely tough life in which she has survived brutal wife beating (to the point of hospitalization) husbands, drugs, and suicide attempts. She may not be the most loving, most caring woman in the world, but she does what she can. She's a battler.
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:40 am
Ohio Impromptu says...

My dad. There are a million reasons why a son should admire his father, and I don't feel like going over them all. I'll just say that without him I wouldn't be anything like the person I am today.

Also, I admire my English teacher from last year. I only knew him for less than a year, but he did so much for me. Truth is, I probably wouldn't be a writer if he hadn't come along.
Gone, gone from New York City,
where you gonna go with a head that empty?
Gone, gone from New York City,
where you gonna go with a heart that gone?

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:43 am
ZZAP says...

can you admire a part of someone's body?
Nate, you will eventually resine or trade powers with me:
https://www.youngwriterssociety.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=4

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:19 am
deleted6 says...

Obviously Elizabeth :P she my girlfriend i also people admire who don't try to fit in.
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:54 am
Griffinkeeper says...

I admire gryphons. The combination of wisdom and courage is a rare thing to behold. When it is combined there is nothing that can stop them.

I also admire people who are very enthusiastic and cheerful. The world is generally anti-social, so a warm smile and a kind word is a breath of fresh air.

I likewise admire my family. Snoink has a fascination for knowledge that is mind blowing. Sgt. Salt has a drive for adventure that is frightening. Penelope has patience in spades. Mom and Dad are a combination of wit and intelligence.

I admire authors who are able to make you forget that you are actually reading something, so that you are actually visualizing it in your head in realtime instead of merely reading off individual word.

I admire people who are smart and aren't ashamed of it.

I admire people who are truly faithful, those that have been touched by god, not merely those that show up to church on a regular basis.

I think that, if you really think about it, you will find an admirable quality in every person you find. The trick is to recognize those qualities. If you can do that, then you can get along with almost anyone.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:59 am
Emma says...

Well... Chris, duh.:]

I admire his positive attitude to life; his desire to make me happy and the way he loves me is unforgettable.

I love that guy and I really want to spend the rest of my life with him. He sticks up for me and cares greatly.

For example; my friends were being complete asses and Chris just pulled me away and told me not to let them ruining my night. Later on they stopped and began talking to me again, then I went off to change and Chris had a word with them; telling them off for what they did. It was cute and it really did make me realise how much this guy cares. :]

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:42 pm
Ego says...

I admire my Manager Joe. He's pretty much amazing at what he does, and generally in life. He can bench 350 but only weighs 190 or so, he's level headed, fair, patient, hilariously funny, and he earns the respect of all of his subordinates through his courtesy, fairness, and his uncanny ability to make you trust him to do what's right for the employees, rather than the corporation. Plus, he leads by example. He'll never make his subordinates do something he himself won't do or help them do.

Er...right.
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

558 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 558
Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:31 pm
Matt Bellamy says...

My boyfriend, Pete. Without saying too much about the situation/his private life, he's going through a rather tough time I think, and his positive attitude and the way he's dealing with it...I really admire that.

Good thread.
Matt.

Got Tumblr? Me too! http://www.writersam.co.uk

Peeking Cat Poetry Magazine is accepting submissions! http://peekingcatpoetrymagazine.blogspot.co.uk

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:59 pm
Dream Deep says...

I admire Poor Imp enormously. Not just as a friend, but generally as a person. I admire the fact that she manages to take time out of her own life to help someone else get through theirs - very few people seem to do that anymore. I joke about our friendship, calling it 'idol-worship' and 'hanging on her every word'. But the plain and simple truth is that I admire her as a person and as a friend in so many facets, that I don't know of a way to effectively thank her for the confidence she's had in me, the time she's made for me and the thoughts she's shared with me.

And now, an end to the rambling. ^_^ Forgive me, Imp, if I've managed to embarrass you throughout the course of this post. ^_~

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:58 pm
deleted6 says...

Anti-Flag that four i don't care and people who try make a difference to the world.
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

Random avatar

Reviews: 103
Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:57 pm
Cameron says...

I admire all those, who no matter what life throws at them, always manage to draw some good from it. Their optimism is contagious :D.
The individual leads in actual fact a double life, one in which he is an end to himself and another in which he is a link in a chain which he serves against his will or at least independently of his will.
--SIGMUND FREUD

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:53 pm
Via says...

I admire my grandmother and my grandfather ['Pa']. They went through so much growing up, my gram one of 8 kids living in a poverty-stricken family in the middle of Mississippi, my pa in the military and gone all the time. They raised four children, one of which born in Germany during my Pa's stay there in the services. They managed to come out of poverty by being smart with their money and saving, my gram being a housewife. They built their own house, and subsequently our family [their four children, my three uncles and my mom] built four houses of our own next to my grandparents home. My grandma raised four of her grandchildren, we lived with them for years and she took care of us everyday of the week even after we moved out. She is taking a significant role in raising her great-grandson now. My Pa passed away four years ago, and my gram still takes part in our daily lives. She is just an amazing woman.

I also admire my English teacher from last year. She was psycho, very much so in fact--but I also related to her very well. I was probably like one of the only three people who actually liked her, but she did something for me that noone else could ever do. She turned me to writing, and gave me the courage to do what I needed to do in life. She helped me through some tough times last year, and helped me pick a college/major/life, basically--even though I know she was going through some tough times herself. I admire her because she put everything in her life aside to help me when I needed it most, and I know she'd be here on the next plane if I ever needed anything again.
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

For in everything it is no easy task to find the middle ... anyone can get angry—that is easy—or give or spend money; but to do this to the right person, to the right extent, at the right time, with the right motive, and in the right way, that is not for everyone, nor is it easy; wherefore goodness is both rare and laudable and noble.
— Aristotle