z

Young Writers Society

Ex-KGB Officer Poisoned in London Sushi Bar

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:51 am
Poor Imp says...

In the same vein, it seems, as the journalist Anna Politkovskaya--shot a month or two ago in Russia.

Dissident Poisoned

Vladimir Putin is more than ready to be knocked hard--knocked out of power and office, I hope.
Last edited by Poor Imp on Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

376 Reviews

Reviews: 376
Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:55 am
Trident says...

Ochen plo'ho.

It seems the Russian government is still stuck in the Cold War, only they're killing their own now.
Perception is everything.

459 Reviews

Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:59 am
Poor Imp says...

trident wrote:Ochen plo'ho.

It seems the Russian government is still stuck in the Cold War, only they're killing their own now.

Well, the Soviets had a habit of killing their own in the first place--as well as any unlucky Westerner who might be pegged for espionage.

And yes--it's very bad--an understatement. !_!

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

376 Reviews

Reviews: 376
Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:01 am
Trident says...

I suppose that's true. Some people never learn, I suppose. Putin has to be losing credibility with the Western world.
Perception is everything.

459 Reviews

Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:04 am
Poor Imp says...

trident wrote:I suppose that's true. Some people never learn, I suppose. Putin has to be losing credibility with the Western world.

Perhaps losing credibility. What he has and had is tenuous. But what is Russia now to the West? I'm afraid she's perceived as a limping, half-cocked giant--super-power once and briefly.

-Lloyd Alexander

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:45 pm
Bjorn says...

Funny, too, that Putin is a former KGB agent :lol: But yes, it would seem he is consolidating his power. What should the West make of it? Frankly, I don't think the West really cares *shrugs* Which is sad...
Killing For Peace Is Like F#@%ing For Chastity
Revolucija Je Sada! Revolucija Je Stobom I Svima! Revolucija Je Uvijek-Zivi Uz Revolucije I Budite Slobodni!

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:34 pm
Dream Deep says...

Ah, I read about this in the paper. I wanted to start a thread on it, but it appears the fine Imp has beat me to it. ^_~

I agree with you about how the West percieves Russia, because my dad said the same thing: "Why would you want to go there, it's the ruin of a world power with too much crime, corruption and lack of scruples."

Then again - I also read that Putin, Bush and the President (?) of Vietnam had something of a get-together not too long ago... perhaps our government's not percieving Putin as such a worthless ally after all. o.O

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:53 pm
Myth says...

That is just really terrible. :(
.: ₪ :.

'...'

504 Reviews

Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:38 am
Dream Deep says...

I just heard that he's died. :cry:

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:49 am
deleted6 says...

Well then they succeded in silencing him. Oh well.
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:44 pm
tinny says...

I don't see why Putin would want him dead. And if they were going to kill him, why use something like Polonium 210 which is easily traceable?

My Papa thinks that he killed himself to stir up some trouble. I think I agree with him.
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:47 pm
Myth says...

And leave his son and wife? :?
.: ₪ :.

'...'

504 Reviews

Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:17 pm
Dream Deep says...

You make a good point Myth... I can't imagine the poor guy would do that to himself and his family just to make Putin look bad. :?

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:15 pm
Nate says...

I agree actually that it's really weird something that was easily traceable was used, but I don't think he killed himself. More likely, either the Kremlin is getting really careless or this guy was involved in some other things.

In any case, the UK is now investigating the matter so I'm sure they'll be able to clear up at least some of it.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how.
— Friedrich Nietzsche