z

Young Writers Society

A Minor Concern

90 Reviews

Reviews: 90
Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:29 pm
rosethorn says...

I believe I really should address this publicly if anything is to be done about this problem.

I'll be blunt. I notice there is not enough critiquing going around on this site. There is a dangerous ratio between posts and responses. Many are so focused on having their own stuff commented on that they do not bother reading other people's work. This, I'm afraid, is a uneffective way for this site to operate.

I implore you all to please take a little more time to read someone else's writing every once in a while. This is only a request, since I can do nothing more than that.

And I thank those of you who comment on other people's writing diligantly. It can sometime be a thankless task but that, I assume, is what the site is for.

Kudos,

POKE

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm
Sureal says...

Usually there are lots of critiques going on, but right now it's NaNoWriMo time, and thus the site is currently nowhere near as active.

Once NaNoWriMo has ended (December), activity will increase :)
I wrote the above just for you.

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:42 pm
Ares says...

I don't know much about NaNo but yea, it sucks. A lot of members don't have that much time to check the literary boards, and a lot of newer members ignore the FAQs and Rules and post all their "writing" as soon as they get an account.

It bites.

But this has reminded me that I need to critique, so I thank you, Rosethorn.

90 Reviews

Reviews: 90
Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:17 am
rosethorn says...

I am really not sure what this...NaNo WriMo thing is. I can tell you, irrelevantly, that the title of the thing is curiously strange.

I'm glad to hear that this is a temporary condition, however. I look forward to when this...NaNo WriMo thing is over and the site's normal activity is restored. Thank you for your reassurance.

As always,

POKE

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:07 am
Chandni says...

Well NaNoWriMo stands for National November Writing Month there's a whole board on the site if you'd want to know more. And yes people are very busy with it these days but other than that, I guess we should crit more (referring to me as well) I'm not that much of a crit, but it's not that I spam the whole boards with my work lol
I should not keep on, I'll just creep on creepin'on.

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:23 am
LamaLama says...

I tried to help solve this once. I had hoped to make a usergroup that would quickly become autaunamous, so I wouldn't have to actually lead it. But then I had to leave for some reason, and I didn't come back for a long time, and it just kind of died.
Beware of the scary banana fingers! For they are mushy, and yellow.

I will change my sig whenever another member asks me too. (please request publicly) Last change: Nov. 12 by: Griffinkeeper

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:38 am
Firestarter says...

Ah, it's the same thing with the whole world; people sometimes help others, but most of the time it takes a lot of effort so they selfishly promote their own stuff.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:26 am
Snoink says...

Firestarter wrote:Ah, it's the same thing with the whole world; people sometimes help others, but most of the time it takes a lot of effort so they selfishly promote their own stuff.

*guilty*
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:59 am
Myth says...

I love critiquing and do it more often but because I don't have much time on the net I don't always get to post them. Plus my Nano novel is killing me so I'm not doing as much critiques as I usually do.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

381 Reviews

Reviews: 381
Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:58 pm
Fand says...

NaNoWriMo is definitely a big factor right now; though as to that post/crit ratio... it would certainly help if certain newbies *clears throats and sends accusatory glances at CENSORED* wouldn't post several dozen poems at once, and only leave c*** crits like "omg taht wuz awsom! keep writting!", which don't count anyway.

[/misplaced rant]

*Cursing of any kind isn't tolerated in the lounge forums- Grif*
Bitter Charlie :: Shady Grove, CA :: FreeRice (162,000/1,000,000)

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:21 am
Elelel says...

With NaNoWriMo you basically write a 50 000 word story in a month, and it does keep you a bit busy.

I don't critique as much as I should. I have a whole list of excuses, that are pretty good ones I feel, but I think even if I didn't I wouldn't that much because basically I'm here to discuss writing and not actually let people poke at my work. That's just me.

So, basically I never post anything, and although I would never ever just critique to get other people to look at my work, it's not really the part of the forum that concerns me the most. When I have less homework and I'm not panicking about exam revision and NaNoWri Mo, I do try and critique things.

That's my reason, anyway. You probably didn't need to hear it, but I'm in the offending party so I figured I was allowed the opportunity to defend myself, or at least give a pretty good excuse.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:42 am
Cassandra says...

Well, at the moment, I've got two critiques I owe to people, but NaNoWriMo is consuming my life. A lot of times, I only critique if someone asks me to or if it looks like a good story from the beginning. I'm being a hypocrite, but unless it's a really good story or by one of the authors on the site I know can write well, I don't bother to read the longer short stories, the ones that are the length I write. Which is weird. But yeah. I also don't crit poetry because I'm not good at that kind of thing, and I can't stand stuff that has grammar errors all over the place.

:? I'm picky. But if you want to see more critiquing, maybe the way to start this revolution is to do more critting yourself! :D
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
— Albert Pines