Parents holding children back in school

266 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 266
Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:53 pm
backgroundbob says...

ELISSA GOOTMAN
Published: October 19, 2006

Jack Haims, who turned 6 in late September, started kindergarten this year with an enviable skill set under his tiny belt: He could already read simple rhyming books, count to 100 and write his name.

Shiho Fukada for The New York Times

Derek Balsimano, left, and Matthew Lee, both 5, at Montclair Community Pre-K. More 5-year-olds are staying in preschool.

“He has a lot more self-confidence if he tends to be the older one,” said his mother, Charlotte, 37. “I wanted him to have an easier time.”

Jack acquired his confidence and abilities thanks to an extra year of preschool, or perhaps simply an extra year of life. He is not alone: From Bronxville, where he lives, to Manhattan and beyond, parents are strategizing more than ever to keep their children out of kindergarten until they are nearly, or already, 6 years old.

Children who turn 5 even in June or earlier are sometimes considered not ready for kindergarten these days, as parents harbor an almost Darwinian desire to ensure that their own child is not the runt of the class. Although a spate of literature in the last few years about boys’ academic difficulties helped prompt some parents to hold their sons back a year, girls, too, are being held back. Yet research on whether the extra year helps is inconclusive.

Fueled by the increasingly rigorous nature of kindergarten and a generation of parents intent on giving their children every edge, the practice is flourishing in New York City private schools and suburban public schools. A crop of 5-year-olds in nursery school and kindergartners pushing 7 are among the most striking results.

Read all about it
The Oneday Cafe
though we do not speak, we are by no means silent.

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:40 pm
LamaLama says...

Yeah, but when they're 19 year old juniors, its going to look bad.
Beware of the scary banana fingers! For they are mushy, and yellow.

I will change my sig whenever another member asks me too. (please request publicly) Last change: Nov. 12 by: Griffinkeeper

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:16 pm
Emerson says...

That would look pretty bad...
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:28 am
Bjorn says...

Heh. I'll be 17 when I graduate, Michael Fong will be... 16. Put 'em in school I say!
Killing For Peace Is Like F#@%ing For Chastity
Revolucija Je Sada! Revolucija Je Stobom I Svima! Revolucija Je Uvijek-Zivi Uz Revolucije I Budite Slobodni!

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:42 am
Galatea says...

I went to kindergarten at 4 1/2. They wanted me out of the preschool! I wasn't a terror, or anything. Just ready to move up.

Some parents...
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:56 am
Nate says...

While it does sound good-intentioned, and in some cases it may be necessary, the wisdom behind it is iffy. My parents did it with my youngest brother, and I don't think it helped much, if at all.

The problem is that if you hold your child back, he's not going to learn anything new. Since he'll be used to learning stuff he already knows, by the time he makes it to first grade, he'll actually end up having a harder time. At least, that's what I would intuitively think, and that is what happened to my brother.

Besides, if you want your child to get ahead, the best thing you can do with kids that age is read to them, turn off the TV, and spend a lot of time playing outside.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:24 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Besides, if you want your child to get ahead, the best thing you can do with kids that age is read to them, turn off the TV, and spend a lot of time playing outside.

The sad thing is that this is "work" for some parents nowadays. Many now outsource this playtime to video games and television.

When I was growing up, my parents wouldn't buy us a video game system until about 13 years old. If that.

The result is that I have a creative mind that jumps from the thing to thing at amazing speeds.

There are other ways to get kids ready for the next level.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

52 Reviews

Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:38 am
LamaLama says...

Oh but my good chimp! We can't let their confidence drop even a little bit!! God forbid one kid doesn't win a medal!

I will change my sig whenever another member asks me too. (please request publicly) Last change: Nov. 12 by: Griffinkeeper

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:05 am
Snoink says...

They may feel good about being the oldest one, but that's sure to fade soon enough. If you're the oldest one in the older grades, you're seen as someone too stupid to be regular. It's bizarre, really.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:56 am
Galatea says...

Nate's right. The biggest problem we have as a daycare is parents expecting US to raise THEIR children.

Like the mother complaining that we don't spend enough one-on-one time with the kids, forcing them to act out negatively.

WE don't spend enough time with her child. Not HER. Never mind that he's there from 6:30a to 6:30+p EVERY day.

*grumble grumble*
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:11 am
Elizabeth says...

Jeez....
I didn't start kindergarten until I was 5 and 10 months.... because my birthday is in November and parent's didn't want me starting until I was 5 *grumbles* so if anything I started schooling a bit later for my age... which could explain why I'm in the IB... I'M CHEATING!!! Naw, they just thought 4 and 10 months was too young...

I think my parents, before school, sent me to preschool and by that time (at 3-4) I had already learned to read ... (There's a monster in my closet!)

I do think more parents should be more nurturing of their children. I'm studying about it and they said that your children will grow and develop more if you stimulate their learning, which includes reading and playing and touching and speaking to them... If parents did this more there wouldn't be a need for people to start their kids in later. I'd get so confused if I became a teacher and this was some trend and all my kindergarteners were 8 years old...

266 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 266
Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:04 am
backgroundbob says...

The UK is still considered to have one of the best education systems in the world, and here there's no possibility of keeping your child back - they just go right on through.

The sad thing is that this is "work" for some parents nowadays. Many now outsource this playtime to video games and television.

When I was growing up, my parents wouldn't buy us a video game system until about 13 years old. If that.
Truesay, I never actually got one. As a result, I actually, y'know, read books!

The result is that I have a creative mind that jumps from the thing to thing at amazing speeds.
Humble, too!

Nah, only joshin' ya :)

There are other ways to get kids ready for the next level.
Absolutely; perhaps just putting a little time into your kid instead of bunking off to work and dumping them with the carer for long stretches at a time might help, God forbid.
The Oneday Cafe
though we do not speak, we are by no means silent.

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:13 pm
Teague says...

I never attended kindergarten in the first place. Go me. And I turned out okay. I'm taking all honors classes, that should say something.

And yeah, the whole 19-year-old senior would look bad. And what if they failed a course and got held back again? Then they'd be 20. :shock:

52 Reviews

Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:49 pm
LamaLama says...

I was 19 and a senior, I never got held back. A 19 year old junior looks bad, but its not that unusual for seniors to be 19. All it takes is a birthday late in the calendar year.

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:06 pm
Fantasy of You says...

It can cause a lot of emotional difficultie, being held back a year, but I doubt this can be given as serious opposition to a chance at a better future.
'It aint the size, love,' she says. 'It's how you use it. That's the important thing, methinks.'

Of course, she was talking about vocabulary...

Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordy evidence of the fact.
— George Eliot