z

Young Writers Society

A College for reading?

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:12 am
Emerson says...

My dad saved an article of a news paper for me, I thought I would share it here. A college for Reading?

October 9, 2006
BY JIM RITTER Staff Reporter
An unusual little college has just moved to the South Side of Chicago.

It's called Shimer College, and it's the only college in the Midwest where every student must take a daunting Great Books curriculum.

For four years, students immerse themselves in the often-challenging writers who have shaped Western culture, from Aristotle and Sophocles to William Faulkner and Toni Morrison.

Students call their professors by their first names. Professors call themselves "facilitators." There are no lectures. Classes, typically with just 12 students, are run like Socratic dialogues. ...

Read more Here

What do you think of that? I wish I could go there...They're reading Dostoevsky! I'm reading his crime and punishment now, and I want to read the one there reading. Does that make me smart or what, hm? hee hee.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:52 am
LamaLama says...

I have a collection of all the great books that have influenced western culture, oddly enough. They're old, and probably not worth much now, but there's volumes and volumes of them.

This is a cool idea, I hope it works. I never want to go there, but its still a cool idea.
Beware of the scary banana fingers! For they are mushy, and yellow.

I will change my sig whenever another member asks me too. (please request publicly) Last change: Nov. 12 by: Griffinkeeper

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:32 am
Tassen Spellbinder says...

Sounds fun to me.
It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen. - George Orwell, 1984

Where in the world is Enoch Root?

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:18 am
Poor Imp says...

It's an excellent idea.
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:29 am
sabradan says...

sounds like agreat idea.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:39 am
Myth says...

I wish I could go there, it sounds great.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

2058 Reviews

Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:23 am
Emerson says...

There are actually a lot of schools that have "great books" classes.

I just googled "Great book classes in *enter state abbreviation here*" and found a list of them, but I'm sure there is a better list out there.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:29 pm
Nate says...

There's another school like that near me called Saint Johns over in Annapolis, MD. I didn't know about it until I was already in college, otherwise I at least would've applied. It's a really nice campus, and the Great Books curriculum sounds cool. Plus, I kind of think that's the way college should be done.

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:24 pm
sabradan says...

I just like the idea of having a univeristy run the way an institution of higher learning should: through socrating method, instituting actual LEARNING not rote memorization for tests.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

2058 Reviews

Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:24 am
Emerson says...

I'm such a book nut case, and all I will read are old classics, not much else unless its something for shear entertainment so I really liked this idea...

There aren't many (I think...2?) in my area though.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:27 am
Snoink says...

Saint Mary's College in Orinda has a program like that. :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:26 pm
LamaLama says...

St Mary's college in Omaha begged me to go there, offered me scholarships and the like. They're an all girls school, figure that one out.
Beware of the scary banana fingers! For they are mushy, and yellow.

I will change my sig whenever another member asks me too. (please request publicly) Last change: Nov. 12 by: Griffinkeeper

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:20 am
Via says...

That sounds awesome! Do you not have to take the general ed classes and what not as well?
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

2058 Reviews

Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:41 am
Emerson says...

The General ones? I'm not sure. I think like any college you could go just for that one class, perhaps....If you were just going to learn, and not to graduate. Or something.

But, I have no idea. I don't know anything about college.

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:45 am
Via says...

Yea, I know that much. I was just wondering because it kind of sounds like all you do is read...no science, math, etc. involved. I was just kind of curious to know how a degree there would be nationally recognized if the gen. ed. classes weren't taken?
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

"It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small."
— Neil Armstrong