z

Young Writers Society

Not It! Mass. Elementary School Bans Tag

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:18 pm
Nate says...

From the Associated Press via the Washington post:
ATTLEBORO, Mass. -- Tag, you're out! Officials at an elementary school south of Boston have banned kids from playing tag, touch football and any other unsupervised chase game during recess for fear they'll get hurt and hold the school liable.

Recess is "a time when accidents can happen," said Willett Elementary School Principal Gaylene Heppe, who approved the ban.

While there is no districtwide ban on contact sports during recess, local rules have been cropping up. Several school administrators around Attleboro, a city of about 45,000 residents, took aim at dodgeball a few years ago, saying it was exclusionary and dangerous.

Elementary schools in Cheyenne, Wyo., and Spokane, Wash., also recently banned tag during recess. A suburban Charleston, S.C., school outlawed all unsupervised contact sports.

"I think that it's unfortunate that kids' lives are micromanaged and there are social skills they'll never develop on their own," said Debbie Laferriere, who has two children at Willett, about 40 miles south of Boston. "Playing tag is just part of being a kid."

Another Willett parent, Celeste D'Elia, said her son feels safer because of the rule. "I've witnessed enough near collisions," she said.

Read It Here

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:16 pm
LamaLama says...

Yeah... I'd be pulling my kid out of that school.
Beware of the scary banana fingers! For they are mushy, and yellow.

I will change my sig whenever another member asks me too. (please request publicly) Last change: Nov. 12 by: Griffinkeeper

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:17 pm
Bjorn says...

I can only say I agree with Lama's statement :o That's just nuts-speaking of them, collisions teach kids the importance of protecting them! Experience is the best teacher.
Killing For Peace Is Like F#@%ing For Chastity
Revolucija Je Sada! Revolucija Je Stobom I Svima! Revolucija Je Uvijek-Zivi Uz Revolucije I Budite Slobodni!

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:49 pm
Cassandra says...

No dodge ball, no tag?

Okay, so at my school, we weren't ever allowed to play dodge ball at recess. But we do in gym, and it's loads of fun.

But seriously, no tag? I have to agree with the woman quoted in the article--it's part of being a kid!
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:21 pm
Galatea says...

Schools are crazy anymore.

I'm with Lama. My kids will attend a tag-friendly school.
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:22 pm
sabradan says...

so stupid. Kids not only CAN handle getting knocked around a little bit, but SHOULD be. I mean, cmon, thats how every male in my family parents/was raised.
"Don't do that, you'll get hurt"
"why?"
"You'll get hurt, like I said"
"No I won't dad."
"Fine. Go ahead and see"
five minutes later, they come back screaming in pain
"I told you not to do it, didn't I? You'll listen next time I tell you not to do something won't you?"
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

266 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 266
Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:39 pm
backgroundbob says...

W00t, nanny state. Kill fun and circumvent natural selection while you're at it. Real helpful for everyone.
The Oneday Cafe
though we do not speak, we are by no means silent.

52 Reviews

Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:54 am
LamaLama says...

Thats like trying to teach a kid what hot means, without ever letting him get burnt.

Not only will my kids play tag, but I have half a mind to put Freddy Kruger gloves on them.

I will change my sig whenever another member asks me too. (please request publicly) Last change: Nov. 12 by: Griffinkeeper

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:16 am
Jiggity says...

LMAO. I like the Freddy Kruger touch. And I sure hope this type of ultra protective nonsense doesn't continue. So far; I'm in agreement with everyone here.

And WOOT! Im spwecial. I'm in a sig^^
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:52 am
Myth says...

Tag was banned in our school but that didn't stop anyone from playing it.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:43 am
Firestarter says...

This paranoia about risk these days is doing my head in. You can't have something to drink without there being health and safety regulations. Like when drinking a coffee -- "This beverage may be hot." You don't say?
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

147 Reviews

Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:27 pm
sabradan says...

seriously. Although, to be honest, the "this may be hot" for coffee is mostly due to some stupid dumb american lady who got burned on McDonald's coffee and sued. HUZZAH for frivolous litigation! (no, not really. Its stupid. But of course I agree with everyone)
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:02 pm
Sureal says...

'Please do not attempt to stop chainsaw with your genitalia.'

I kid you not (although I can't remember the exact wording). Not sure if it's true though - I saw it in a piece of sample coursework, under 'real and bad labels' - I like to think it is though.
I wrote the above just for you.

147 Reviews

Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:27 pm
sabradan says...

I think it is because I think I saw it too. Oh god, so horrible.

-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

52 Reviews

Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:37 pm
LamaLama says...

I think its "do not use chainsaw while sleeping."

Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?
— George Wallace