z

Young Writers Society

Hey, Slavs!

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:03 pm
Galatea says...

I'm mostly Czech with Austrian, Scottish and Italian thrown in for good measure ^_~.
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:33 am
Bjorn says...

Haha!! Good to see you back Pros. and D.D.!

I forgot to mention that I had a Hungarian great-grandmother, on my mother's side of course. My mom told me stories of how, when the Soviet's thrust through Europe towards Germany, her grandmother had a sort of deal with Russian soldiers-she would cook for them, and they'd give her things they needed (stolen, of course). We both laughed when she told me how my grandfather stole a hammer from them! My mother of course was born some time after the fact, but was told these stories by her grandmother. It seems my mother was quite the intellect/academic when she was young. What she told me of her youth reminds me alot of me, indeed she noticed this too. A poet, writer, avid reader, friend, and, above all, a farm-hand. She was urged to go to Canada, for there, she was told, she'd have a good life. She often wonders why she listened. She says to me that if she stayed, she'd be someone. I don't disagree one bit. A great Slovenian author, I'd bet. But I told her, "Mom, if you never came her, I'd never be here. And, besides, I now have the chance to continue your dreams.". She smiled and said, "You know, Danny, I remember sitting in my grandpa's lap and him saying "I regret now that, while I was in Canada, I didn't bring my family over" whereupon she replied "well, grandpa, if you did...I wouldn't be here today". He simply said 'ti imash u pravu', meaning, "You have it in the right". And so life goes on. And though my parents have never once placed chains on my choices in life, they don't disagree with my decisions to go back to the homeland, or homecontinent. *sighs*
Killing For Peace Is Like F#@%ing For Chastity
Revolucija Je Sada! Revolucija Je Stobom I Svima! Revolucija Je Uvijek-Zivi Uz Revolucije I Budite Slobodni!

Once you have read a book you care about, some part of it is always with you.
— Louis L'Amour