z

Young Writers Society

Jesus Camp

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:46 pm
Poor Imp says...

I was brought up as a Christian, but I was taught to question and query in an effort to understand, not accept blindly. That, I think, is what chills me most about that film - the signs that children are being taught to accept without question. I believe it happens in Christianity (massively in America), very largely in Islam and to varying degrees in other religions.

Do I think raising your child to be religious is wrong? No - there were some very good things going on in that film, teaching and training that will hopefully stop those kids from going off the rails as they grow older. But the key element which is missing in so many Christian circles is that conscious assesment of your faith - Christ came to take away our sins, not our minds.

All the above in particular and precisely. It is a parent's place and duty to teach their children, especially when it comes to religion and morals. Teach -- not to drown, indoctrinate, frighten. And to teach well is to teach to think.

I don't think much of what I've seen and heard of the film. It seems to be doing more of what we fear parents for doing -- exaggerate and scare. Fear always makes things larger than they are.
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:51 am
Khayriyyah says...

Until I moved here, this is all I knew of Christianity. It is all most Muslims know of Christianity.
~assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh~may the peace, mercy, and blessings of Allah be with you~

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:51 am
Griffinkeeper says...

I can't say I'm too surprised. I don't condone any part of it.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

266 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 266
Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:02 am
backgroundbob says...

All Christianity is is a way of life based on solid principles for the betterment of society - how people have interpreted that can be likened to the way the Swastika - a sign of peace - was used by Hitler.
The Oneday Cafe
though we do not speak, we are by no means silent.

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:42 pm
tinny says...

Ok. I don't get sound on my college computers, but the images alone were enough to freak me out. The kids... they were so young and so small it really did make me feel very uneasy. It reminded me of something I once saw on tv, there was a travelling theater company that did some very... well, graphic things on 'how bad abortion is and if you have one you'll go to hell'. I saw the short clip that was on tv. I hid. It turned out to be aimed at kids much much younger than me.

One part, (I think they were all chanting christ, but I'm not very good at lip reading -_-")it reminded me of when I was at NE1 earlier this year and at the end of morning worship everyone got into a big 'Jesus' chant before we went out to our projects. Thing is, we were all over 16 and most people I talked to didn't have christian parents. But seeing small kids like that... I really, really don't like it. Or understand it.
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:21 pm
Bjorn says...

I was raised and live in a Catholic home. My parents come from two countries that boast a tie to Catholicism like Jews do to Judaism. Almost inseperable you can say. Subsequently I've been baptised, had my First Communion and Comformation (at the same church, a Catholic Croatian cultural centre [a very large property]), and my house has a cross and/or Christian image at almost every turn. However, much like backgroundbob, my parents, especially my dad, have taught me to in the end judge what I think is right. He is a very logical and down-to-earth man, and it's rubbed off. However, like many of the older generation, they still cling on to things that many times contradict their more liberal views. I don't deny the fundamental teachings of Christ, but to go on and on and on about the glories and wonders of Christ and Halleluja praise the good name! It is VERY tiring. I sometimes just want to walk out in protest during Masses or Liturgies at school. I believe in a higher power, but I don't go on preaching about the wonders of my concept of All-mainly because there is nothing glorious about it, being a very down-to-earth and logical concept (one that somehow was subverted to have a more Christianic outlook by my religion teacher...). I respect my fellow shurch goers. The priest is a very down-to-earth man, that I respect. It's people like in this video that disgust me. Rallying children to their cause. To them Christianity is a tool, not a thing that gives meaning.
Killing For Peace Is Like F#@%ing For Chastity
Revolucija Je Sada! Revolucija Je Stobom I Svima! Revolucija Je Uvijek-Zivi Uz Revolucije I Budite Slobodni!

Stay gold, Ponyboy.
— S.E. Hinton