z

Young Writers Society

What is your favourite age for characters?

What is your favourite age for characters?

2-7
No votes
8-11
3%
12-15
21%
16-21
48%
21+
24%
animal
3%

Total votes : 29

Reviews: 0
Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:20 pm
Nagem says...

Your opinion?
I'm not a very good writer, but I'm an excellent rewriter. ~James Michener

The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug. ~Mark Twain

90 Reviews

Reviews: 90
Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:26 pm
rosethorn says...

I like to stick with the age frame of 16-21 but it entirely depends on what the book is about and who the characters are. Age is simply a number and more often than not, I will ignore it.

POKE

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:27 pm
Firestarter says...

No age is best; it just depends on what character you have created and are trying to convey.

Also, why is 'animal' an option???
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:31 pm
Nagem says...

It is an option because some people would rather write stories based on animals and I don't want to figure out the difference in dog years and so on. besides, that would make this a very long and confusing poll.

The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug. ~Mark Twain

266 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 266
Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:44 pm
backgroundbob says...

Um...

that really isn't an answerable question. It's like saying "what key is music best played in".

For each song there will be advantages and disadvantages to each key: for each story, there will be advantages and disadvantages to having characters from each age range. It's rather hard to write a story about teenage rebellion (not that I'm saying anyone should, so help me God) with solely 21+ characters. Equally, it's slightly difficult to write a story exploring the nature of age and time using only characters under the age of seven.

So, yeah; how long is a piece of string?
The Oneday Cafe
though we do not speak, we are by no means silent.

Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:06 am
Nagem says...

I get your point and am realizing that I should have re-phrased the question. What age do YOU prefer to write in?
As for the fact that about being under 7. I realize that as well, but who knows what people write about? Besides the point of fiction is being able to write unrealistically. it is from your imagination. besides, there are a lot of books that are VERY fictional. So, who is to say that someone might write a story about a three year old. A poor example of this is that t.v. show Rugrats that my little sister watches. It's About one year olds that TALK and so on, so who is to say that people wouldnt be able write like that?
Anyway, basically I should have Rephrased the question. What age do YOU like to write about the best?
Sorry if I offended anyone. As odd as this sounds, I feel like it's not my place to be replying like this to your reply Backgroundbob being a newbie and all. Whatever. Stated my point sorry if someone's offended

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:46 am
Firestarter says...

Ahh -- if you'd said favourite in the first place I would totally understand.

Personally I always seem to write about people about 25-35, interspersed with some older ones. I never seem to have any kids in my stories. I've never written about a child. Which suddenly feels really weird.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:28 am
Lenthe says...

I tend to stick with the 21+ side of things. Generally it gives more realistic options for character developement and insight.
In the shadows, of the night. Blade is ready, sharp as light. -- E. Arcenstien (The One of Dark Blood)

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:41 am
Skye says...

Combining two age brackets, I tend to write in the 12-21 range, depending on if I'm writing specifically for the younger age set or not. I'm the exact opposite of Jack, and rarely have any characters older than 35, besides parental units. Which is rather depressing and needs to be fixed...
"A poet in love is best encouraged in both capacities or neither." ~ Jane Austen, Emma.

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:42 am
supercanti says...

I put 21+ not because I do not like young heros. I just think some of those are a little unoriginal, not all but the good few Ive read have been kinda corny. I dont really want the main character be some old dude but 21 is a good age.

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:42 am
supercanti says...

Oh sorry. I didnt know you meant what age of characters do we right. I usually do 21+.

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:36 am
Myth says...

I depends on what I write. I have characters between 10-20. Other times I expreriment with older characters of 40+.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:50 pm
Nagem says...

Note to self then. next time I make a poll, make sure that I phrase the question CORRECTLY. ah well. Twas only my first poll. I'm suprised it got such a large repsonse (in my opinion anyways). I realized that I have not answered my own question! Weird. thought I did before too. In any matter, I prefer 7-13. Kinda hard to do any higher being thirteen dont you think? In my opinion the 7 year olds are the best because you really dont need to get into HUGE problems, just little ones like the best swing on the swingset. But as I wrote that, I realize that's not always true since everyone's different. Well, I better go reply to something else before I confuse myself even more than i already am as i am in school. But in my opinion, 7-13

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:08 am
sabradan says...

backgroundbob wrote:Um...

that really isn't an answerable question. It's like saying "what key is music best played in".

For each song there will be advantages and disadvantages to each key: for each story, there will be advantages and disadvantages to having characters from each age range. It's rather hard to write a story about teenage rebellion (not that I'm saying anyone should, so help me God) with solely 21+ characters. Equally, it's slightly difficult to write a story exploring the nature of age and time using only characters under the age of seven.

So, yeah; how long is a piece of string?

But at least music there are ways to measure it out/decide. The VAST MAJORITY of music written is written in/for (and thus best played in) the Key of C. (Plus or minus sharps, flats and Melodics, but still) So the music one you can at least answer. Anyways, I agree with Jack and others. Age is just a number. But I said 16-21 cuz thats where tehy usually happen to fall.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:25 am
Ares says...

16-21 for MH. Lately I've been writing some action adventure type stuff. Teenagers have been my main characters.

Not really sure why, I guess I just like the age.

i am neither a loose leaf nor do i like loose leafs. really, i am a piece of wide-ruled looseleaf paper
— looseleaf