z

Young Writers Society

What is your favourite age for characters?

What is your favourite age for characters?

2-7
No votes
8-11
3%
12-15
21%
16-21
48%
21+
24%
animal
3%

Total votes : 29

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:29 am
Crysi says...

Obviously it's easier to write about characters in your own age group. A 17-year-old can't write a 40-year-old character from personal experience; he or she must then use observation.

I actually prefer writing characters in their early 20s. In Chronicles of Taer, my main character starts out fairly young, but she ages throughout the book. This aging presents new obstacles and better understanding, and it's really fun to look at the extremes. She starts out naive, timid, and helpless, but over time she is forced to adopt stronger qualities that will allow her to not only survive, but to lead as well.

So there.
Love and Light

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:15 pm
Fishr says...

I'm fairly unorthadox with my writing habits. That being said, I can generally succeed with age groups with 7-70 year range and even had some success converting a specific age group by making the character immature for their age.

Not an easy task in my opinion when ages are involved but that's what observing is for. ;)
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

85 Reviews

Reviews: 85
Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:32 pm
aeroman says...

Well I chose 21+ because I like more mature characters. I'm not into the whole teenager character. Teenagers are I dunno, I just don't like writing about them! Heck I am one haha, but actually I usually do an age frame of 18-23.
They haven't invented the missile that can kill an ideal.

657 Reviews

Reviews: 657
Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:46 am
Jennafina says...

Usually my characters are my age or younger, just out of laziness. I have no idea what it's like to be 21.

That's kind of bad, because often I accidentally make my characters me.
Jennafina's Love Your Body Already Dammit Campaign

forum353.html

(To find out what it really is, just click.)

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:11 pm
Dream Deep says...

My guys are all at least 24. ^_^ Or else they get all immature on me... with the exception of Livny, of course. He'd be immature at any age.

Reviews: 2
Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:15 am
Lufgif says...

Skye wrote:Combining two age brackets, I tend to write in the 12-21 range, depending on if I'm writing specifically for the younger age set or not.

That's what I do as well.
I'm angered that we can't use images.

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:26 pm
Teague says...

It depends on the story for me.

For example, in one of my stories most of the main characters are 25-35 because of the time frames events have occured in, but in another the main characters are 15-18 because that's what the story calls for.

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:31 am
Jester says...

I think any age group is fine for me, but one thing I particularly like about the younger age group is that their childish ambitions and naivety are very interesting to work with.

I have a Gumbie Cat in mind, her name is Jennyanydots; Her coat is one of the tabby kind,with tiger stripes and leopard spots.
— T.S. Eliot, Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats