z

Young Writers Society

Has Ari lost her marbles?

What would you have done?

Stayed home like a normal person!
36%
Gone to school.
50%
Burped in Pat Buchanan's general direction.
14%

Total votes : 14

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:30 pm
Areida says...

When I woke up this morning at 5:30, my stomach was hurting. When my alarm clock went off at 6, I was horribly nauseated. I stumbled from my bed, hand over mouth, and into the bathroom, where I immediately sat down beside the toilet to wait for the inevitable.

In the next five minutes, the nausea rose and fell in varying degrees of severity until I grabbed a trash can and braced myself to walk downstairs. I found my dad in his bedroom.

"I'm nauseated," I said, walking right past him into his bathroom, where I abandoned my trash can for the toilet in his bathroom. Then came the long line of questions that always are shot out when you announce that you feel like hurling; it's one of the curses of being a doctor's kid.

Long story short, I hung around in the bathroom for a bit, then decided to take my dad's advice and head to the kitchen to chug a massive glass of water to induce the vomiting and just get it the heck over with. Filling the glass was enough, however, and I threw up in my cute little trash can (it's red and white striped and says 'popcorn' on the side like one of those old-fashioned movie theatre buckets, though this wasn't quite as appetizing). I could see yesterday's lunch, in case anyone's interested.

Poor Addie, though. She was in the kitchen and had to hear me puke my brains out twice before she got away to get Dad. After the puking was a good mouth-rinsing and then a temperature check and then teeth-brushing and back into my warm bed. I slept until about 7:15, when Addie came to get me.

I asked Dad if he was going to let me go to school, and he said yes, after asking about seven more questions and offering to drive me and the girls.

Most of you may be thinking, 'wait, you could have stayed home and you went to school anyway???' Yep. Sure did.

I have a paper due Wednesday that I needed to ask my teacher a question about; I didn't understand my Trig homework from the weekend and needed further instruction; we were going to get our Chemistry tests handed back today and begin a new chapter; and I needed to turn in revisions from my last paper. Skipping one day of school would have knocked out my four-year run with perfect attendance, and thrown me behind for the rest of the week.

I felt all right at school today - not exactly at the top of my game, but I was still functional and got most of what I needed to accomplished.

So, inquiring minds want to know: what would you have done? Stayed home or gone to school? Vote! :D
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:40 pm
Emerson says...

I'm an honors student, so I know your pain! I'm in honors Chem 1, so I know how confusing that is and my teachers crazy. I practically beg my parents to take me to school early so I can get her help.

I so would have gone to school! Puking or not, I need the help. Now as for perfect attendance? I don't have that. But I'm sure going to get all A's if I can do anything about it!!!

You're not puking anymore, I hope?
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:45 pm
Cassandra says...

Well. If I had puked my brains out in the morning, I would definitely be staying home. But then, I don't have perfect attendance. And though I get all A's, I would be able to make it all up, I think.

If I had gym on that day, however, I wouldn't want to miss school. Not because I like P.E., no. Simply because if we miss class we have to run a mile and a half to make it up. O.O

I still think you're crazy, Ari. XD
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:23 am
Wiggy says...

I would have done what you did Ari! Being sick sucks (heck I ain't feeling so hot myself), but school is more important. *sighs* Guess I'd better go up and type that thing for chem...:roll:
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:33 am
Griffinkeeper says...

I would have gone to school.

My rationale is this: if my dad was a doctor and he says I'm able to go to school, then I'm able to go to school.

While puking doesn't indicate a clean bill of health, it doesn't mean I'm incapacitated. In all probability, the source of my ill health is lying in a garbage can in front of me (or in my toliet.)

I wouldn't over exert myself though.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:57 am
Caligula's Launderette says...

Oh dear, hope you are feeling better honey. I probably would have gone to school, I only not go for mental health days, or if I'm deathly ill.

As for my answer to the poll: PAT BUCHANAN!
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:31 am
Areida says...

Hmm. Making puking my brains out was a bit strong since there wasn't that much actual vomit. Just a lot of that nasty retching gagging-ness that's not too fun.

I think I had fever today (shhh don't tell *cackles*) but I made it through Tae Kwon Do tonight feeling okay, so I think I'm mostly better. :D
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:07 am
Wiggy says...

Yay! *huggles and then tucks Ari into bed* Now you be a good little Ari and don't puke again...;)

Wiggy ;)
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:10 am
Snoink says...

Haha. I would go to school and insist to everyone that I was okay, even if I felt like absolute crap. :P
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:43 am
Meshugenah says...

heh. Yeah, pretty much, Snoink. Unless it was spanish, then I conviently wouldn't be able to talk above a quiet whisper.

But really, I can't miss school; I'd fall way behind, and with 4 AP classes, I can't miss, and one of them is going to kill my GPA completely (of course, my pre-calc teacher and hating me so she gave me Bs already did that), and if I miss spanish, much as I hate it, I'd be so lost I couldn't tell which way was up, so yes, I'd go to school unless i absoultly couldn't.

*takes deep breath*

Basically.
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:48 am
Galatea says...

School - yes.

Tae Kwon Do - absolutely not.

HOWEVER--I'm not AS GPA oriented as you all seem to be. In fact, I really could care less. I like class, and I like to learn.

And Mesh, Bs are GOOD GRADES. Really, I promise.
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:21 am
Poor Imp says...

Repeating what CL said: I miss class for mental health, or if I can't walk and see straight. o0' But I think I'd call myself a little off the deep end for going to school after that... Oy, sounds awful.

I would, of course, fence no matter. ^_^ 'Rather miss class...
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:44 am
Myth says...

I hope you're better Ari! :D

I would choose to go to school. I hate missing out on classes, especially when new work is given out. I also wanted perfect attendence.
.: β‚ͺ :.

'...'

Powerful men have a way of avoiding consequences.
— Dr. Harrison Wells, The Flash