z

Young Writers Society

1001 Arabian Nights

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:53 am
LamaLama says...

The story goes that Sharahazhad told one tale a night to the Sultan, to prolong a condemned man's life. Each night she told him a tale, if he liked it, he would not kill her lover that night. After 1001 and one nights (a little under 3 years if you do the math) the Sultan decided to spare the man's life.
EDIT: upon further research- I've also seen it that she is trying to save her own life. Either way- every night she would end the story in an intensely suspensful situation, forcing the Sultan to keep her alive another night.
(no, there aren't 1001 of these stories)

Has anyone else read these/ and/or heard about them? Aladdin and the wonderful lamp (basis for the Disney movie, Aladdin, go fig.) is the longest of these stories. 40,000 words, not all of which are easily understandable.
A link to the original translation of these stories, with little else as filler:http://mfx.dasburo.com/an/a_index_commented.html

If you haven't, give them a read. They're intriguing, if nothing else.
Beware of the scary banana fingers! For they are mushy, and yellow.

I will change my sig whenever another member asks me too. (please request publicly) Last change: Nov. 12 by: Griffinkeeper

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:03 am
smaur says...

Dude, are there people who haven't heard of this? I worry.
"He yanked himself free and fled to the kitchen where something huddled against the flooded windowpanes. It sighed and wept and tapped continually, and suddenly he was outside, staring in, the rain beating, the wind chilling him, and all the candle darkness inside lost."

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:20 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Arabian Nights is a marvelous piece of storytelling. Highly recommended.

Online here.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:15 am
sabradan says...

Great stories. The funny thing, I always thought the Sheherezad was a man, but then again, my arabic sucks. I know like, four phrases.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:24 am
LamaLama says...

You're not the only one. I though she was too. I think its a combination of sounding kind of like a guy name to western ears(in that it doesn't sound explicitly feminine), and the long standing standard that important characters are men.
Beware of the scary banana fingers! For they are mushy, and yellow.

I will change my sig whenever another member asks me too. (please request publicly) Last change: Nov. 12 by: Griffinkeeper

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:31 am
Myth says...

I love Arabian Nights. I've read most of them and have been told others from my parents since I was a kid.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

381 Reviews

Reviews: 381
Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:50 pm
Fand says...

*Glee* I collect antique books, and I found an... gosh... 1863 edition, I believe, give or take a decade. It's gorgeous; perfect shape, beautiful illuminations... it's like my bibliophilic bible.
Bitter Charlie :: Shady Grove, CA :: FreeRice (162,000/1,000,000)

they got that magical iridescence that you don't expect to be on a sky rat y'know
— Ari11