Young Writers Society

The Scotsman - We're Nearly All Celts Under The Skin

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:50 pm
Nate says...

We're nearly all Celts under the skin
IAN JOHNSTON
A MAJOR genetic study of the population of Britain appears to have put an end to the idea of the "Celtic fringe" of Scotland, Ireland and Wales.

Instead, a research team at Oxford University has found the majority of Britons are Celts descended from Spanish tribes who began arriving about 7,000 years ago.

Even in England, about 64 per cent of people are descended from these Celts, outnumbering the descendants of Anglo- Saxons by about three to one.

The proportion of Celts is only slightly higher in Scotland, at 73 per cent. Wales is the most Celtic part of mainland Britain, with 83 per cent.

Read The Whole Thing

Even though my line of the Caldwell family left Scotland well over 250 years ago, I still find stuff like this interesting. After all, according to this, it means it was primarily Celts who settled America, not Anglo-Saxons.

Reviews: 2
Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:13 pm
Binky says...

Well, Cornwall and the Isle of Man are both numbered amongst the Celtic Nations and Cornwall at least is part of England, I dunno about the Isle of Mans state of independence, it's always been a weird wee place (There are six Celtic nations: Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Cornwall, Isle of Man and Brittany.) although admittedly ethnicity isn't really an issue, it's about the common cultural and linguistic heritage. Which is why Galicia and Asturias (Spanish regions), whilst "ethnically Celtic" or whatever, aren't counted, since they've lost their Gaelic language.
~ I swear I didn't bring it home ~

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:09 pm
LamaLama says...

I'm related to Duncan, most famous for his part in Macbeth. And have a legitimate claim to the land that the rubble of Castle Fife is on.
Beware of the scary banana fingers! For they are mushy, and yellow.

I will change my sig whenever another member asks me too. (please request publicly) Last change: Nov. 12 by: Griffinkeeper

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:43 pm
Snoink says...

Er... part Irish. Yay?
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it.
— Christopher Darlington Morley