z

Young Writers Society

Review My Review

1007 Reviews

Reviews: 1007
Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:45 pm
View Likes
TimmyJake says...

Have you ever wanted to know if you are a good reviewer? Have you ever wanted some help becoming a better reviewer? I haven't seen a forum devoted to this, so I decided to post one. This thread is for any reviewer who wants advice on how to better their reviewing skills to post their review--or rather a link to the review--and other users will tell them honestly what needs to be worked on, and what they liked. Just like reviewing actual works, really.

A few rules, since I think I can do that. :)

#1 Obey all rules!

#2 Do not write on the walls, as it takes a lot of work to erase writing off of walls.

#2 Make sure that your replies are helpful, and not just full of critique. No matter how new they are at reviewing, there is always a lot of good in someone's review that you can find. Make it a review. An even balance of both.

#3 Post a link the review, and if you want to post the review, put it in a spoiler.

#4 This is not the place to post your review for boasting purposes. Post your review here for help to better your reviewing skills, not to gather praise.

That's all I have to say.
Used to be tIMMYjAKE

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:35 am
View Likes
Prokaryote says...

I'll also review reviews of reviews, if anyone is interested.

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:33 pm
View Likes
Evander says...

The Battle. Prolouge

I'm wondering. Did I use to many nitpicks, did I seem too harsh, was my grammar good?
Want to talk about your project? Head on over to the Writers Corner! If you have a question about writing, then head on over to Research! Is your question not big enough to warrant its own thread? Ask away in Little Details!

German rat enthusiast.

1007 Reviews

Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:46 pm
View Likes
TimmyJake says...

Okay, when I first began this thread, I had decided that I wouldn't review any of the reviews that were posted in my thread. Obviously, I am not that committed to what I said previously.

Your review was well done, I think, but it lacked something. That something it lacked was encouragement. You did the nitpick part of things brilliantly, giving them good examples of how to help their writing, and you pulled out a lot of their weak points, but you missed giving them praise. Now, I know that many times its difficult to find something, although I doubt this was one of those occasions. I have the opinion that you can always find something to praise--no matter the work.

In this case, I think you had enough nitpicks, but not enough praise. Your review gave a lot of critiquing help, but never looked at the positive points in their writing. So look at their style, the writer's grammar, perhaps some level of repetition in there. Something that you can build off to create some encouragement for the other reader. Nitpicking is encouraging because it tells you how you can write better. Praise makes you want to write more, and write better. A neat combination of the two gives you that feeling.

I loved how your review didn't center on the grammar and punctuation nitpicks, but rather on a more rounded way of nitpicking. Many writers try to avoid doing stylistic nitpicks, but really, its the way to go. Many nitpicks that should be stated aren't, because reviewers are afraid to hurt the other's "feelings." While the fact remains that there are problems with people's styles and suggestions are great to fix them.

I hope this helped somewhat.
Used to be tIMMYjAKE

475 Reviews

Reviews: 475
Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:15 pm
View Likes
Apricity says...

I am happy to review someone's review.
Previously Flite

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.' ― Friedrich Nietzsche

~Open for business~

1007 Reviews

Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:25 pm
TimmyJake says...

Do ittttt
Used to be tIMMYjAKE

475 Reviews

Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:27 pm
Apricity says...

I meant to ask, have you made a club for this? @TimmyJake
Previously Flite

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.' ― Friedrich Nietzsche

~Open for business~

1007 Reviews

Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:28 pm
TimmyJake says...

Oh. No. Should I make a club for it? I mean, this isss an experiment that I dunno is going to work.
If you think I should make one, then order it doneeee
Used to be tIMMYjAKE

475 Reviews

Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:48 pm
View Likes
Apricity says...

I think you should make one, this idea was long overdued. I will personally see to that this doesn't die.
Previously Flite

~Open for business~

Understanding is the first step to acceptance, and only with acceptance can there be recovery.
— Albus Dumbledore